Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Just being very nosey.

Can I ask our friends on here from around the World how they plan to watch the parbuckle on Monday (God willing).

For me I plan to get up a couple of hours earlier than usual and ,cameras working hopefully, I will watch it through the day. But I know many of you are from United States with a rather large time difference that will put the parbuckle in the middle of your night.

I'm entirely convinced that you are correct. And I believe the guillotine cutter previously mentioned is there to cut said umbilicals if the worst happens and CC heads for the deep. I'm sure no one will be allowed on board the CC during the parbuckling.

Ah yes, that could be a good explanation for the guillotine cutter! The Gantt chart says it is being fitted to anchor block 12, being the block on it's own, right @ the stern end of CC. It also says the ROC Portacabin is to be (& now is) situated on the support barge 'Polluce'. So maybe Polluce & the ROC operations centre will infact be situated @ CC's stern end where it could be moored very securely to the rock shore line for obvious safety reasons & a quick exit if need be to the shore?! All the umbilicals maybe pass through the guillotine cutter on AB12 & get one big snip if CC keeps on rolling over? Just a thought!

I certainly wouldn't want to be on CC during the parbuckle, doubt anyone will be on board! I'm presuming all the strand jacks & pumps in the caissons will be operated from the ROC. The Gantt chart mentions 'camera & sensor installation'. So the whole operation could be viewed & controlled from the ROC, & presumably from Mr Sloane's "quick getaway if it doesn't work" helicopter hovering above!! (his words according to The Guardian!).

Edited by CTH

Just being very nosey.

Can I ask our friends on here from around the World how they plan to watch the parbuckle on Monday (God willing).

For me I plan to get up a couple of hours earlier than usual and ,cameras working hopefully, I will watch it through the day. But I know many of you are from United States with a rather large time difference that will put the parbuckle in the middle of your night.

I will be watching from Florida, USA no matter what time of day or night. I have watched from the beginning, since before the first AIS information was posted online in fact, and will continue to do so.

Just being very nosey.

I will probably get up in the night to watch the beginning but since it will be akin to watching paint dry I don't imagine I'll stay glued to my computer screen. I want to see that water line mark rising from the surface.

Just being very nosey.

Clive, likewise I'll be up an hour earlier than normal & have the GiglioNews webcam on in the background. My other half's been telling me for the past few months that I'm addicted to the salvage operation & spend too much time watching the webcam, when there are many half-finished DIY projects around the house that need completing. Imagine what she'll be like on Monday, assuming the go-ahead is given?! I'm within 100 miles of your location, you'll probably hear me being told off from there!

Another news link, mainly about Nick Sloane, found it very interesting, he deserves every success with this operation!

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/13/world/costa-concordia-nick-sloane/index.html

Just being very nosey.

I'm based on the East Coast of the USA (6 hrs behind Giglio time) and like many, many people, I've been an "observer" here since that fateful day in January last year. I'll probably stay up half the night on Sunday to see the start of the parbuckle ops and will catch as much of it as I can during daylight hours on Monday (on the webcam of course). Luckily I work from home and watch on a computer not used for business purposes.

I have to reitterate the sentiments already stated here in that I wish Nick Sloane and his entire team the very best of luck during this critical stage of the salvage process. I hope that the people of Giglio will soon have their beautiful island returned to its quiet calm serenity. And lastly, my prayers go out to the families of the two remaining missing passengers with hope that their loved ones will soon be returned to them.

Alma

For those following the thread on Giglio News regarding UFO's there are two lights high above the wreck. Been there for some time so not a plane.

Can I have an explanation please.

The Saraceno cam is one of these

M24-Kameramodelle_formatVGA.jpg

Maybe a light refection of the enclosure near the lens, from a light which for some reason is shining from underneath the cams body, and wasn't on in previous nights.

Haven't seen the "UFO" thread yet....

Edited by Mike.Minh

Clive, I'm 7 hours behind so I'll start watching late Sunday, get some shut eye after a few hours, then return to viewing. If I was off the drugs I could stay awake all night but that's not the case as yet.

Now this is a secret so don't tell my therapists ;) but I didn't schedule a treatment for Monday morning so I could stay home and watch it. Needless to say, I hope the weather co-operates.

Found this interesting. Giglio does plan crowd control.

THE NATIONAL CIVIL PROTECTION DEPARTMENT MAKES NOTE OF THE MODE OF ACCESS TO THE PORT AREA ON THE DAY OF THE ROTATION OF THE M/V CONCORDIA.

In the area of the sphere port to access only through ID (PASS).

To organize better the service have defined the following modes of delivery of Pass:

On Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 and Monday 16 September (from 08.30 to 12.30 and from 15.30 to 17.30 hours) can pick up at the PRO LOCO the access PASS to restricted-access areas:

-residents of Isola del Giglio;

-the owners and employees of the activities operating at Giglio Porto;

-who is housed (for various reasons) to Giglio Porto.

Morning All,

Nothing major observed so far this morning, Micpoeri 30 has relocated @ CC's stern end & is abouts to lift something off CC, presuming this is the 'Removal of remaining generators etc in aft section by M30' section on the Gantt chart. Will they leave a generator on board until tomorrow night for any last minute jobs?

The 'Armonia' anti-pollution vessel (in yellow) arrived overnight & is anchored off a few hundred yards out.

The 'Aran' towing vessel keeps chugging up & down the coast line with a large platform in tow, presumably ready to pick up all the remaining equipment.

I'm guessing they will put an anti-pollution boom (is that the right name?!) across the harbour entrance as soon as the last ferries have arrived/departed tomorrow evening.

Clive, very slow progress with the knee. Missing one therapy session won't make much of a difference as I have things I can do at home to still get sessions in.

Just checked weather forecast. The rain that was suppose to happen for most of this day has been moved to a 70% chance later tonight and go into the morning hours (50% chance.)

It's 09:00 Saturday morning at the foggy beach in SoCalifornia..... the webcams appear to be functioning normally in the Giglio dusk.

No additional booms appear to have been deployed. Mic 30 is at the stern quarter removing stuff from CC.

It appears to me that the Pioneer is a few meters further from the CC? If they've decided the Pioneer is sufficiently well moored to stay put, it's in good position to resume work; re-adjust the mooring lines and carry on.

I'll be checking in on the webcams Sunday night before getting a few hours sleep, then leaving at 05:00 for an 07:00 flight to Seattle. If the airports have good wi-fi, I'll check the laptop whenever possible as dusk settles on CC. Few things are more satisfying than watching a boats gunwhales level up as the result of a well executed salvage plan.

I'd imagine the tension in the Giglio air is thick; tighter than the cables I see straining on the port sponsons. Nick Sloane seems to be a cool customer. They've planned well, delegated well, so I expect it'll right.

Good Luck to Mr.Sloane and all the hard working salvors, and the insurers at this critical stage of an epic salvage.