How much alcohol can you bring back with you?

megmno

Ok this might be a dumb question, but its one I've never seen on this board before.

If I buy some bottles of alcohol in the ship's gift shop, how much can I bring back into the US before I have to pay tax? Also, how much is the tax?

If I buy it in a regular retail store in the Caribbean (i.e. not "duty free") what are the limits then?

Here is the duty free allowance:

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older).

Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

When my husband and I went on a Cozumel, Cayman Islands & Jamacia trip in 2011, we brought back a total of 9 bottles (liters) of alcohol and we filled out the customs form, but they just waived us through and didn't make us pay the duty/tax. It was nice of them and i guess it didn't warrant the paperwork on their end. :)

Here is the duty free allowance:

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board. 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands. 5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older).

Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

When my husband and I went on a Cozumel, Cayman Islands & Jamacia trip in 2011, we brought back a total of 9 bottles (liters) of alcohol and we filled out the customs form, but they just waived us through and didn't make us pay the duty/tax. It was nice of them and i guess it didn't warrant the paperwork on their end. :)

I have carried back 2 liters per person and was not questioned or taxed. Just be honest on your claims form. We carried it out in the Carnival box instead of packing in suitcase. Probably depends on your port.

Have always brought back more then the allowance. On the form I just put "Alcohol". I walked out with a CCL box and the agent asked me how many bottles I had...I answered 4 and held up 3 fingers...he laughed and told me to have a good day:)

As many as you can lug, no difference if bought in port or on the ship. Duty is around $3.09 per liter. On your form put the total number of liters and not bottles. Some bottles are less than a liter.

Texas is the only port that limits you to 3.75 liters for a non-resident but that is state law. Sometimes it is enforced sometimes not.

Dave

Archived