Great Eats in Belize

askimdog

I am a foodie, so my Belize stop on the Legend this month was anxiously awaited. I had a few foods and drinks to knock off my list. Belize did not dissapoint!!!

I booked the City Tour and Brewery Tour with Wet Lizard and was treated like a KING...private tour for us 3 with a GREAT guide. It all started with Belikin beer at the Lizard, ice cold and 2 for 5.00.

The Brewery was very good and ended in the breweries pub...I had all the beer they brew, from numerous Belikin beers, to Guiness Stout to Belikin's XMAS seasonal made from sorel berries, all so so so good. Keeping on the alcohol tasting I wanted some local Barrel 1 Rum, some 10 Year Old Don Omario Rum and the famed Belizean Cashew Wine. Prices being better at a local store than the Tourism Village Dufry, I had my guide take me to a local store. I also sampled the Barrel 1 ( yes, the vanilla taste is pretty strong) and yes the Cashew wine is over sweet for me). I still got a bottle of both, as well as 2 bags of candy, some strong glue, and other things all for under 20 bucks. The Don Omario could not be found. I love Belize and will return, and the distillery (Travellers) will be visited to get the Don Omario.

Food: no doubt gibnut was the food I had to try...earlier we were in Grand Cayman and I got my sea turtle, oxtail and stewed cowsfoot fix, gibnut was the goal here and I had planned to hit the local restaurant Nerie's for it. My guide knew I wanted gibnut and suggested a different place in Ladyville, near where he grew up. This was a small open air roadside diner. And yes, they had gibnut (The Royal Rat). We had it with rice and beans, plaintain and a wonderful cilantro colelsaw. I kid you not, this was some of the finest meat I have ever ate, and if it has moved, I have eaten it. So tender, pork like but with bones more like fowl? many small bones, it was stewed in a lovely fragant sauce. As we ate on the weather beaten picnic tables we chatted with locals, saw someone sell homemade charcoal to the owner, saw another sell her dried peppers. Kids ran around and all was perfect in this paradise. I bought our guide lunch and we even saw his Dad pedal by on a bicycle waving. This is a memory I will cherish, as well as a taste I'll never forgot, I thanked Ms Cynthia and her culinary skills. Truly a middle of no-where, never forget experiance.

Roatan's balleada's, shots of gifadee and incredible coffee was great as well, but Belize, food to cruise for!!!

Archived