Upsell fairy called-but not for us!

janchild

So, I am really disappointed right now. We encouraged our friends to try cruising for their next vacation, so they chose to sail with us on our upcoming, crise n the Pride. We booked our cabins the same day separately, but near each other on deck 5. We chose Obstructed View balconys for cost savings. (other couple were not sure if they will like cruising, and we are sailing again in Sept:)) This will be our 6th cruise and their 1st. Wouldn’t you know it, the upsell fairy called the other couple today and offered to upgrade them from an obstructed view, to an extended balcony on the Panarama deck for a total cost of $40.00! The other couple decided to upgrade, while we still have our obstructed view cabin. My friend lobbied Carnival to upgrade us also, but they said they can’t do it, and that upsells are picked at random via computer. Oh well, we are happy for their good fortune!

Hmmm...I wonder if it was really on purpose- knowing that it was your friends' first cruise, Carnival conveniently offers them an extended balcony knowing that once they cruise with that type of balcony- they are hooked and will never go back to any other type of cabin again! LOL!!;)

That hardly seems fair! So close but sooooo far! You are kind to be happy for their good fortune. They'd better invite you onto the balcony a whole lot!

I told his wife that they would be pretty high up on the ship, and that we would gladly switch cabins with them :). That offer was DOA! I will expect a DOD for my wife and I for compensation! To add insult to injury, I was able to find a lower price and previously got them (and us) a $40.00 OBC. So the upgrade actually cost them zero!

I am not so sure about that. We booked a regular OV suite for our honeymoon and got the call from the upsell fairy for the owners suite. It was a great deal and we took it. Let me tell you...I will NEVER get that room again. The cleaning lady made it clear on the first day that all of her other rooms were at the bottom of the ship and that she would get around to our room when she could. Also, the running track was right above us and you heard people running at all hours of the night. It was a loud banging noise in our room. The "service" elevator was right outside our door so if we wanted to leave and they were puting something on or off the elevator we had to wait until they were done. It was a nice room but I would prefer to have the sleep. Also, our balcany was completely obstructed. You would think that the owners suite (penthouse) would have a balcany with a great view. Some times the upsells are not that great!

hey that happen to use last oct they offered a upseel to my sister but not to us our third cruise there first cruise i think they offer it to newbies ..... but i called carnival and gave them the upsale code and they upselled us too told them we wanted to stick together

Thanks! I will try calling tonight and using the upsell code my friend got. They are really rubbing it in to us right now!

Thanks! I will try calling tonight and using the upsell code my friend got. They are really rubbing it in to us right now!

Please let us know how you do! I had no idea there was such a thing as an upsell code. Surprised that doesn't go around here.

As far about the owner's suite story- I would still find it hard to say no if the price was right. And would have complained immediately if my room steward had played that game. You should get better, not worse, service in the owners suite!

When did the upsell fairy call you? How long before the cruise?

I'm still hoping that they will call me for my cruise on the 26th.

I got called (along with several others on my trip) 9 days out. Called in the evening.

We got a call about 2 weeks before our Liberty cruise. We were inside on Panorama and they wanted to move us to deck 8 BALCONY for $200 more. I took it. It was our first Carnival cruise. I L-O-V-E-D the balcony, loved the cruise, even purchased FCCs. Needless to say, 2 weeks after our return, we booked with Carnival again, this time to an aft-facing balcony. Now I'm looking at the aft-wraps and wondering if I should upgrade myself for another $400.

AAGGGHHH!!! :eek:

Keep calling them! Most of the time when you call them you talk to a different agent. Ask them if there is possibility for an upgrade .... any additional special that may not be posted. (Remember to spread a lot of kindness in your tone when you speak to them)

Good Luck

OceanDreams

We received an upgrade call for our Ecstasy cruise a few years ago.

It was our second cruise and my Mothers first.

I got the call to upgrade from an oceanview to a suite, I told the pvp that we wanted to stay near my mothers room, and I wasn't interested in the upgrade unless they upgraded both bookings, so they upgraded her to a suite as well. All it cost us was a little of our OBC we had gotten from price drops.

The only real problem here is that you won't be as close to each others cabins anymore ... but really ... other comments are right - look at this as a gift - the better cabin they get, the more they will likely enjoy cruising and .... the more likely you get cruise friends who are just as hooked and planning the next trip with you before you even get off the ship!

That being said - if either is prone to seasickness, they might be begging you to trade cabins by day 3 Panorama is pretty high up there ... :eek::D

So I called Carnival 3 different times today, and got the same very polite response each time. They are very sorry but are unable to accomodate my request for an upgrade similiar to my friends. I guess I will be happy for our friends good fortune and plan on spending time on their balcony!

Archived