? for exp. Maui car renters

kimala

I'm breaking down! Think Im gonna bite the bullet and rent a car in Maui! I had some questions for those of you who have rented in Maui. 1) Will the car rental co. provide a good map of the roads or do I need to do research b-4 I go and print maps? We know we are going to want to go to Makeena in the south part of the island and also to Lanai for the Old Lanai Luau. on the west side. 2) If anyone has link to a map they used to get from the POA port in N. Maui to Lanai could u share it with me? Thanks to everyone...soon I'll stop boreing youall with these posts

I'm breaking down! Think Im gonna bite the bullet and rent a car in Maui! I had some questions for those of you who have rented in Maui. 1) Will the car rental co. provide a good map of the roads or do I need to do research b-4 I go and print maps? We know we are going to want to go to Makeena in the south part of the island and also to Lanai for the Old Lanai Luau. on the west side. 2) If anyone has link to a map they used to get from the POA port in N. Maui to Lanai could u share it with me? Thanks to everyone...soon I'll stop boreing youall with these posts

The rental car maps are very good... In fact I, like many locals, I "bagged one" to use it in my car for getting around. If you'd like to get some idea of what you're in for before arriving, Google or MapBlast can give you good driving directions to/from any two points on the island.

Keep in mind that you'll be on an island, and there are a limited number of roads from one part of the island to another. You shouldn't have any problems, so enjoy.

The rental car maps are about as good as anything else that's out there. On the web, I like looking at: http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/maui_maps.html

And as Bob has mentioned, MapQuest or Google can give you pretty good door-to-door driving instructions (though sometimes they pick pretty esoteric routing).

One of the things that confused me when I lived on Maui was that nobody really made a good street map of Maui in book form ... kind of like a Thomas Guide for Maui.

Spleen

Of course, you can always pickup a tourist guide nearly anywhere that will give you some decent general maps (main roads usually), tourist attractions, tourist information and coupons. They are at the rental company and the airports, ports and hotels as well.

But I maintain that its pretty hard to get lost on these islands....unless youre looking to!

This may sound weird, but having just returned last week from two-plus months on Maui (as we do each year), I've found the best Maui street maps are in the phone book!

Yep, and there are three varieties of phone books (for ONE island!!), mostly available at any Long's, Safeway, Star or Foodland Markets. They're sitting there for anyone to help themselves. They have street maps of every section of the island as well as Lana'i and Moloka'i. Each year, I snag a new phone book, tear out the maps and insert them in plastic sheet protectors (like for school reports) to keep in the car. works great!

Thank you everyone!!! These posts are a lifesaver. I booked a car rental through Dollar Rental...$10.99 per day for a Kia Rio. I appreciate all your encouragement as I have been pretty apprehensive @ renting a car, but I just cant accept paying 110.00 for a round trip ride to Lahaina. Thanks again!

Kimala,

We are planning on renting a car on Maui also. Where is the dollar car rental located? Do they provide a shuttle at the dock? Sounds like you got a great deal on the Kia! Is the rate for 8 hours or so? Thanks for your help.

One of the things that confused me when I lived on Maui was that nobody really made a good street map of Maui in book form ... kind of like a Thomas Guide for Maui.
There are two such publications Spleen. The Ready Mapbook of Maui County (includes Moloka`i, Lana`i, and Kaho`olawe,) Odyssey Publishing, LLC., 808-935-0092, 888-729-1024, cbm@midpac.net. We bought ours (I think) at Wal*Mart. Another, albeit smaller, mapbook is Maui Road Maps, Ivan Takitani, 808-242-9191. We bought ours at Longs (but it can also be found at ABC, K-Mart, etc.)

But, why you need map bruddah?!? Just go Mauka to 'da cane road... Got lost? No worry brah, enjoy!

Thank you everyone!!! These posts are a lifesaver. I booked a car rental through Dollar Rental...$10.99 per day for a Kia Rio. I appreciate all your encouragement as I have been pretty apprehensive @ renting a car, but I just cant accept paying 110.00 for a round trip ride to Lahaina. Thanks again!

Where oh where did you get this great rate?? We shop long and hard for our extended car rental and have never found such a low price. Best weekly rate we've gotten is $160 plus taxes, surcharges. Tell me where/how please! :-)

patty o: We're using Avis this trip (2 weeks). I first booked using an insurance company customer discount. Then I got the Entertainment Book for Hawaii. Using that discount code online, I saved more than $80 more for the rental. Total (including taxes and fees) for midsize is $300. Daily base charge is $16. OTOH, on the Big Island, Avis was substantially more than other companies (4 day rental).

I did find out that the phone reservation rate is almost always higher (at least when I've called) than reserving online with discount codes (AAA, AARP, etc.).

Good hunting for your next stay--lucky you to be able to stay for more than 2 months each year, that's terrific.

beachchick

Bob - notice I said "good". :D I think we had the Ready Mapbook one .... luckily, almost never needed to use it like you said. I used maps to find small out of the way restaurants and to locate friends' houses. Plus, I just like maps. :)

Spleen

Yes, we ARE very lucky to spend most of our cold winter in Kihei, Maui. We have access to a condo unit there "for cheap". I lived on O'ahu many years ago, but we now enjoy the slower pace in a quiet section of Kihei.

I definitely will be doing more searches for car rentals next year. I thought I was doing great, until I saw the $10.99/day for the Kia mentioned above!! Yikes, time to check further.

Thanks for your input on Avis also. Appreciate it.

Kimala,

We are planning on renting a car on Maui also. Where is the dollar car rental located? Do they provide a shuttle at the dock? Sounds like you got a great deal on the Kia! Is the rate for 8 hours or so? Thanks for your help.

Dear Emmilu The rate is for 24 hours. With tax for two days rental of Kia Rio it comes to 32.00. I orriginally called Thrifty but they dont have shuttle so the rep offered to transfer me to his "sister Company" Dollar and they do have free shuttle. If u book with them they will give u a 800 # to call them when your ready to be piced up at the port for ride to the airport to p/u the car. So far so good!

Where oh where did you get this great rate?? We shop long and hard for our extended car rental and have never found such a low price. Best weekly rate we've gotten is $160 plus taxes, surcharges. Tell me where/how please! :-)

We will be in Maui Friday and saturday so were getting weekend rate lower then the weekday rate.

Archived