conversation with 14 yr old son...

golfntob

Wild applause!!:D

It's good to know that I finally found someone to agree with me. We refuse to raise 4 kids with a false sense of entitlement...my 13 year old son doesn't even have a cell phone yet, he's probably the only one in the 8th grade that doesn't and never complains about it. I can't tell you how many cell phones I find in my house from my 13 and 9 year old's friends. They don't even call looking forward for them, I sometimes give it to them a week or 2 later. Unbelievable!!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I love your signature..."If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears don't invent it with your small mind and proclaim it with your big mouth." :)

We are too addicted to modern technology....I am pleased to say I have no use for a smart phone (well, to be honest, no use for a land line phone either). Young adults and kids are losing touch with how to be a real kid, to play, to enjoy personal contact with their friends..it is all texting now or social networking......

I've got a MP3 player (NOT a Crapple product) and a satellite radio. I don't need a smart phone....what would I do with it when I'd be paying as arm and a leg for the ability to check info online on the 3G or 4G network.....I can surf the net at lunch or coffee or at home..

this may be a long first cruise for him...:p

ME: you know there's no clocks in the cabins

SON: well yeah b/c like everyone will have their phone with them

ME: uh, cell phones don't work on the ship

SON: what? no 3G??

ME: no, no 3G for you

SON: no WiFi?

ME: no, no WiFi We'll be in the middle of the ocean.

SON: Man, I thought they'd have better technology than that....:confused:

There is free Ice cream water slide..

We are too addicted to modern technology....I am pleased to say I have no use for a smart phone (well, to be honest, no use for a land line phone either). Young adults and kids are losing touch with how to be a real kid, to play, to enjoy personal contact with their friends..it is all texting now or social networking......

I've got a MP3 player (NOT a Crapple product) and a satellite radio. I don't need a smart phone....what would I do with it when I'd be paying as arm and a leg for the ability to check info online on the 3G or 4G network.....I can surf the net at lunch or coffee or at home..

I know many older adults who have also lost touch with reality regarding technology.

My youngest daughter was asked (well not actually asked, she received a card in the mail) to be a flower girl in her Godmother's wedding. Of course she was excited to get the card.

The only communication I have had with the bride was via "facebook" which I rarely use. I actually flat out asked for her through phone and facebook to please call me so we can "personally talk" about where she wanted to get the dress. I also told her that I don't use facebook much. She facebooked me back and told me that she was sorry but she didn't have time to speak to me on the phone because of her busy schedule. Her wedding is June 1...I still haven't got a call or a dress for my daughter, yet she has a website with my daughter's photo on it in the wedding party section.

At one point, I wanted to pull my daughter out of the wedding party, but my daughter is so excited to be in it that I don't want to hurt her feelings. It's also not my side of the family so I don't feel like it is my place to say anything.

Sad world we live in! :mad:

It's good to know that I finally found someone to agree with me. We refuse to raise 4 kids with a false sense of entitlement...my 13 year old son doesn't even have a cell phone yet, he's probably the only one in the 8th grade that doesn't and never complains about it. I can't tell you how many cell phones I find in my house from my 13 and 9 year old's friends. They don't even call looking forward for them, I sometimes give it to them a week or 2 later. Unbelievable!!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I love your signature..."If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears don't invent it with your small mind and proclaim it with your big mouth." :)

I didn't allow mine to have cell phones until they started driving. That's what worked for us. I saw no reason to give them one prior to that...they were never anyplace without me that didn't have a phone they could use.

Everyone is different though.

Also, save yourself money and do two things: airplane mode AND make sure everyone in the family has Data Roaming OFF (Settings/General/Network on the iPhone). That way your phone won't try to download your email or facebook while at sea or abroad.

Yes, please learn from my mistake and turn your Data Roaming off. I didn't use the internet on my iPhone while we were on our Panama Canal cruise, but I didn't want it on airplane mode because we were sending/receiving sporadic texts from family at home.

Lo and behold I had a $300 data charge even though I did not use the internet at all... come to find out my email "pushes" to my phone automatically, so even though I never opened the application or looked at the email, I was charged for the data use.

Live and learn.

Haha. I'm 15. When I went on my first cruise, not having my phone didn't phase me at all. It still doesn't. I don't care about not having my phone for 7 days.

I mean, why would you want it. There are so many things to do in a ship at sea, why would I need to get on the Internet, which I could do at home

Haha. I'm 15. When I went on my first cruise, not having my phone didn't phase me at all. It still doesn't. I don't care about not having my phone for 7 days.

I mean, why would you want it. There are so many things to do in a ship at sea, why would I need to get on the Internet, which I could do at home

Perhaps there is hope. :D

And to think.....When I was a kid, I had two cans and a string....Going outside to play with a stick and a rock was a daily event :eek:

Kids these days....well.....they could have some appreciation for what they have and learn to let go...

My teens were seniors in High School, and complained they were the only seniors on the school bus. "Donna's mom bought her a car." My answer: "Obviously Donna's mom loves her more than I love you..." ====> Big Eyeroll

Im just as bad as them, and so are many other adults. When we arrive in St Thomas each time, im on the phone right away taking pics and putting them up on facebook and calling the friends and family! haha I did the same thing in PR. They think its cool im calling them from way down there, and honestly the bills not so bad as long as your in those 2 places. Once you go other places and it kicks into roam mode its back in the lock box.

Perhaps there is hope. :D

Awesome :)

and I agree...WHY would you want it?

Last year on our cruise out of Puerto Rico our son was able to use his cell phone in PR so on the way back to PR he got up high on the ship and as soon as he got bars, he started to text. Well he spent a lot of time to pay off that $160.

Didn't have AT&T - we had full service in San Juan and St. Thomas. No charge. Thank heaven!

I fully plan to have my phone for many reasons.

1) It's my MP3 player.

2) It's my daily planner and medication reminder..

3) I have a few apps I use daily (Shipmate would be useful on the cruise)

If I had a kid with a cellphone, I imagine they'd like their phone for the same things, and I'm smart enough to take out the sim card so they can't get charges.

In addition, I would rather my kid use their cellphone to take pictures on a cruise instead of my $2000 camera.

I was a little slow to jump onto the information bandwagon, but I am now addicted to my I phone (never thought I would say that)! The map on the shipmate app is great and I used it continuously on our last cruise. The camera on the iPhone 4 takes better low light pix than my camera. I'm guilty for changing over to the dark side. I think I paid $20.00 for an international plan (had to check on the home front a few times via text) and I think it allowed 50 texts at a very low rate. I've even got all of our reservation times for the Oasis stored and will not be dragging a folder (a first for this OCD planner) course if I lose the phone I'm in trouble.

We have ATT and for our 1st cruise we added the international plan (no charge) so I could text the folks back home who are in poor health. It is .50 to send and .10 to receive. No biggie. My teen uses his iphone for music so he puts it on airplane mode and data push off. Still no biggie. Well now I have an iphone instead of a dumb phone and I dont know how to text without the roaming charges? Oh well cabin phone is $1.99/min! While in American port there is no roaming charges. We use our phones all the time while docked but turn off when "cellular at sea" shows up. I hope this can be done while in Key West too!

My other son is an xbox junkie and our first cruise he stayed in the arcade 24/7 but 7 cruises later and he now never goes in there. Too much to see on the Lido deck he says.:eek:;):o

Archived