To north-bound or any one else-Stockholm advise

DON M.

Arriving on RCL in July at 9:00 in Stockholm. My plan is to purchase the Stockholm card on the internet. The card gives us a free 10:30 boat cruise. My question is if there would be any problem getting from the ship to where the boat leaves in that time frame and what would be the best way to get there given the time needed? Thanks

Arriving on RCL in July at 9:00 in Stockholm. My plan is to purchase the Stockholm card on the internet. The card gives us a free 10:30 boat cruise. My question is if there would be any problem getting from the ship to where the boat leaves in that time frame and what would be the best way to get there given the time needed? Thanks

Sorry, I'm not North Bound, but I can tell you this ... you need to provide more info. There are several docking piers in Stockholm. It depends on where you dock and how fast you can get off the ship after docking.

Good luck

Al, I believe the Jewel docks at Stadsgarden. Assuming we were off the ship by 9:30, it probably would not leave us enough time for a 10.30 boat tour. For 1 day, I think the Stockholm card would not be worth the cost. You agree? Boat tour, Vasa, and Royal Palace with walking of Gamla Stan would be all the time we would have and that would be tight (ship leaves at 5:00). How far is it from Gamla Stan to Stadsgarden? Thanks for your help.

Al, I believe the Jewel docks at Stadsgarden. Assuming we were off the ship by 9:30, it probably would not leave us enough time for a 10.30 boat tour. For 1 day, I think the Stockholm card would not be worth the cost. You agree? Boat tour, Vasa, and Royal Palace with walking of Gamla Stan would be all the time we would have and that would be tight (ship leaves at 5:00). How far is it from Gamla Stan to Stadsgarden? Thanks for your help.

Stadsgården, depending on if you are at the far end or middle can be a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk to the old town. It is a nice scenic walk with your destination always in sight. If you were off the boat at 9:30 and did not dawdle you could walk to where the sightseeing boats leave with plenty of time.

I really have not done that much research on the Stockholm Card, but for cruisers with such a short time to visit I would guess that it is not worth the money. But, like I said I don't know much about it .... ok, after further research ...

Stockholm Card 260 kronor

Vasamuseum Adult entrance : 80 kronor

Royal Palace : 80 kronor

I dont know how much the boat tour is but if it is 100 or more the card is paid, if not well, unless you use public transport (busses etc) you are losing money. And keep in mind time will fly and even the tightest schedules can become history.

Try not to stress and plan too much, I know, easier said than done. Or plan plan plan but don't be too dissapointed if everything does not get done. That's the way I travel anyway.

Enjoy

Al

We are docking in Nynashamn and may be taking a ship tour - transportation and maybe a tour of city hall then have free time in the afternoon for lunch and walking around. How much time would a nice walk through old town and the Vasa take? I have seen pictures of the inside of city hall and thought it would be worth a tour. I thought we could see the Vasa quickly and spend most of the rest of the day in old town. But the map has these places spread out and I'm not sure if any of this plan is realistic. I'm still trying to see if I can get transportation from Nynashamn to Stockholm with or without a city tour. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the Stockholm card last year for 3 days. I have in the past been on the boat tour of Stockholm. I don't remember that as very special. Very monotone guiding, in fact I believe it was just a tape, and difficult to hear. I did not go on the boat tour of Stockholm this past summer because of it. However, it might be better now.

I would say, 1 hour minimum for Vasa, but it's not that close to Gamla stan. I take a bus there, then bus back.

Gamla Stan, it's not very big, you can walk through it very quickly, in perhaps 1 hour at a fast pace. However, Gamla Stan is wonderful for the ambiance, I would not rush it, but sit at one of the out door cafes and see life in Stockholm a litte. I'd go to the Royal Armory, gauk at the palace guards, and do some shopping in the lovely littel shops. Figure 2 to 3 hours there for a really good time.

Stadsgården, depending on if you are at the far end or middle can be a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk to the old town. It is a nice scenic walk with your destination always in sight. If you were off the boat at 9:30 and did not dawdle you could walk to where the sightseeing boats leave with plenty of time.

I really have not done that much research on the Stockholm Card, but for cruisers with such a short time to visit I would guess that it is not worth the money. But, like I said I don't know much about it .... ok, after further research ...

I dont know how much the boat tour is but if it is 100 or more the card is paid, if not well, unless you use public transport (busses etc) you are losing money. And keep in mind time will fly and even the tightest schedules can become history.

Try not to stress and plan too much, I know, easier said than done. Or plan plan plan but don't be too dissapointed if everything does not get done. That's the way I travel anyway.

Enjoy

Al

Thanks Al for reminding me not to "overplan", or as my wife said this morning " I told you your obsessed but you listen to a stranger from Sweden and not me"-lol. I told her Ive known you for 2 years.

Though i do not like ships tours, they have a 3-hour city tour including the Vasa which is more time and the same cost as the city bus tours. Combine that with a boat tour, Royal Palace, and Gamla Stan in the afternoon and I think the day will be great.

There is so much to see on this Baltic cruise with limited time (the downside to some cruises) that its easy to "overplan", get stressed , and not enjoy the "highlights" of these wonderful places.

Thanks again to all for great input.

Al - As always, you never failed to offer your wisdom and insightful advice. :)

In addition to Vasa and Royal Palace, I thought the City Hall is also worth visiting. The admission fee is SEK 60. BTW, the Royal Canal Tour is SEK 110. So even without the canal tour, the Stockholm Card is sounding more worthwhile especially if you take into consideration the convenience. Now if you add to it the public transportation, the Stockholm Card is no doubt the winner. For cruisers on the Star Princess, like myself, there is even more value to the card as we have that adventurous train ride to the city that we have to contend with.

My preference, of course, is to purchase the card in advance on the web but I also worry about if the ship skips that port due to inclement weather (which did happen to one of the CC members), then I'm out the cash. Since there are 8 of us in my group, the loss is substantial. So, now my question is, can I buy the Stockholm Card at the convenience store in Nynashamn? Or am I worrying too much???:confused:

In addition to Vasa and Royal Palace, I thought the City Hall is also worth visiting. The admission fee is SEK 60. BTW, the Royal Canal Tour is SEK 110. So even without the canal tour, the Stockholm Card is sounding more worthwhile especially if you take into consideration the convenience. Now if you add to it the public transportation, the Stockholm Card is no doubt the winner. For cruisers on the Star Princess, like myself, there is even more value to the card as we have that adventurous train ride to the city that we have to contend with.

My preference, of course, is to purchase the card in advance on the web but I also worry about if the ship skips that port due to inclement weather (which did happen to one of the CC members), then I'm out the cash. Since there are 8 of us in my group, the loss is substantial. So, now my question is, can I buy the Stockholm Card at the convenience store in Nynashamn? Or am I worrying too much???:confused:

Iam not sure you are aware of it, but the only boat tours that are free with the Stockholm card is the 1st departure at 10:30 and the last 3 at 4:30, 5:30, and 6:30.

Ok then, if the boat tour is SEK 110 (you must make that 10:30 trip though) and you use it for the other stuff, then I would agree that the Stockholm card is worth the money. And for those of you taking the train from Nynashamn, well, it is a hands down winner.

I have not heard of any cruises skipping Nynashämn because of bad weather, not saying it did not happen, I just missed it, but you can rest assured that the weather here is very, very rarely severe in any way shape or form, but weather is, well, weather - never can tell.

With that in mind, the advantage of pre-buying the Stockholm Card and having it in hand as you leave the ship seems clear. For one thing, you skip the lines to buy transport tickets at Nynashämn, and once in town you can jump on any bus or subway.

And yes, you can buy a Stockholm Card in Nynasham, but NOT at the Pressbyrån store. You must go to the Nynashamn Tourist Bureau on Fiskehamnen in Nynashamn. I am sorry, but I have no idea where that is, but I would guess it is in the village there somewhere. I'm guessing that by the time you find it and purchase your card, well, time would be wasted.

City Hall? I have lived here since 1997 and still have not been on that tour. There are a bunch of pictures on my website taken from the top of the tower though. The tower, if I remember correctly costs SEK 20, but keep in mind the elevator only goes half way up, you have to walk the rest of the way up a narrow circular corridor. The views on a nice day are splendid however.

I don't live in Stockholm, so when I go there I go as a tourist. I have been to city hall and taken the tour, last time in 2001. I really liked the tour. There is a beautiful mosaic wall, and you get to hear about the Nobel festivities. However, I would skip the City hall if pressed for time and do the Old town first. I think it is nicer to do a few things well instead of rushing from one sight to the other. It's not that spectacular, it's not the Mona Lisa.

How easy is it to use the tunnel bana or bus to get around Stockholm? or Taxi? We lose so much time because we're docked in Nynashamn that I am concerned about having much time to relax and enjoy. I think we will just go to Gamla Stan and then to the NK department store area then back to the train station. We want to eat lunch in Gamla Stan too. Normally, I would just walk, but we won't have much time if we get to Stockholm Central at 10:07 and have to be back on the train at 2:52.

Thanks for all the info. Due to the timing of the trains which can cut into the limited time in Stockholm I think I'll do a ship excursion - I cannot decide between taking just the transportation or doing a half day tour with some free time in the afternoon. After reading the comments maybe the tour should be of the VASA rather than city hall.

M&T

It's very easy to use the Tunnelbana in Stockholm. However, from the central station it is only 2 stops to Gamla stan. It's a 20 min walk, all in shopping area, so it's a nice walk. One street Drottninggatan is a pedestrian street with shops, tons of shops and restaurants. This street will lead you to the Old town (located on the island of Old Town), so you know that you are close when you cross the bridge (you will be crossing 2, the second one very short). In fact, if you take the Tunnelbana, you will end up on the other side of old town and will have to go back to the castle. It's all very close. The advantage with walking there is that you then know how long it will take you to get back again.

NK is a very nice department store to visit. On your way there, you can go by Kungsträdgården, which is a park with action, and then visit NK and walk back to the central station. That would be a nice day of walking. No need to work out that morning.:p But it's probably just 2 miles or so all together.

Yes, thanks Al and Greta. Do you think an hour is enough to see the armory? I also want to see Storkykan. Marlyne

Yes, I think you can do it in one hour. Have to go quickly. The carriages are on a different floor I believe, underneath.

This armory is underneath the real castle. It's quite remarkable to have such a nice museum underneath a "live" castle. Very well displayed--and you can take pictures in there.

The first thing you see is the "costume" of the shot king of Sweden, Gustav II Adolf who was killed during the 30 year war, in 1632. He wanted his costume presevered. His horse is also preserved--you can see the seams where the hide was sewn together.

Inaugural outfits are there, old beautiful gowns for the queens and corresponding for the kings. Check out the waist lines (and some of them were mothers:eek:).

One hour is short, but I bet a lot of people only stay for 1 hour. I like to listen to everything, and the extra listening, so I linger longer.

Incidentally, Rick Steves gives this museum 3 stars, but I found it before him:p.

It is not so easy to find, but when you are standing next to the obelix (there is only one) facing the water, it is located on your left down the hill.

SL Center Slussen

Subway station Slussen, exit Saltsjöbanan

www.sl.se/english

I think this would be the very best and easiest place for you to buy this. This is a Tunnelbana stop anyway, so then you can just take the T if you would like to go somewhere, or just walk to Gamla Stan. There are some hotels there on the south side as well where you can find the card. On the site, look for places on Södermalm, but Slussen would be best, very close. There is a hotel on Katarinavägen as well which would be on your way as you walk towards Gamla Stan.

SL Center Slussen

Subway station Slussen, exit Saltsjöbanan

www.sl.se/english

I think this would be the very best and easiest place for you to buy this. This is a Tunnelbana stop anyway, so then you can just take the T if you would like to go somewhere, or just walk to Gamla Stan. There are some hotels there on the south side as well where you can find the card. On the site, look for places on Södermalm, but Slussen would be best, very close. There is a hotel on Katarinavägen as well which would be on your way as you walk towards Gamla Stan.

Thanks for your information. How far of a walk would you say it is from the port to Gamla Stan?

I think you're docking where I did a couple of years ago, and there was a red line painted on the ground to follow from the cruise ship to the edge of Gamla Stan. The ferries to the Vasa Museum and Skansen leave from the harbor at the edge of Gamla Stan. It was very easy.

Donna

Archived