Renting a Jeep on Grand Cayman

RazorbackBelle08

Has anyone ever done this?

Since there are so many places we want to see, I thought it might be awesome to rent a Jeep (since they can be had for less than $100 US for a day) and tear around the island on our own.

I know everything is reversed; I drove in the UK so I'm not worried about that stuff. But has anyone ever done this before? What are the pros & cons?

TIA <3 :cool:

We've rented cars on Grand Cayman, but never a jeep. It's an island - you can't get lost.

It's a bit strange to have to shift gears with your left hand. I assume jeeps are manual transmission?

And parallel parking with the drive on the opposite side is weird! Look for pull in parking spots.

No matter how enticing, do not drive on the beach. We've seen stuck vehicles, with the tide coming in.

We just got back and rented a jeep from AVIS at the airport. We intended to have the top down for the day, but it was overcast and chance of showers so we left it on...never did rain, so a little disappointing! It was auto transmission with steering wheel on the left. We took the jeep to Rum Point to have lunch and swim. Navigating the island was pretty easy, but we did rent a GPS to give us a little more confidence! If you go to the AVIS Grand Cayman website they have a special cruise package rate. Once in port you head to the Blue Iguana gift shop where they will call AVIS to dispatch their shuttle to pick you up. It's a great alternative to the ship's excursions!

We rented one in December and it was a fantastic time. We got to see the island with lots of time to spare. We rented from Cayman Auto Rentals and they were great. I highly suggest reserving them in advance.

Cayman Auto Rentals is who my reservation is with! Yep we're doing it. I think it'll be AWESOME. We want to go to Rum Point.

Do any of you have suggestions of where we should go since we'll have the whole island to explore?

Cayman Auto Rentals is who my reservation is with! Yep we're doing it. I think it'll be AWESOME. We want to go to Rum Point.

Do any of you have suggestions of where we should go since we'll have the whole island to explore?

We went to Rum Point and it was great! If you click on the link in my below signature, you can find the itinerary we did around the whole island (including directions, etc).

Just as a note, the speed limit is indeed actually in MPH and not KPH. Took us a little while to figure that one out, kept getting passed by people :). In our defense, the Jeep we had was predominantly marked in KPH, with the MPH being the secondary markings, so we just kinda assumed that that's what all the signs were. (Speed limit signs are just a number in a circle). We rented from Cayman Auto Rentals, and would do it again. Ours was also a left-hand drive automatic.

• 1 year later...

We drove all of GCM while staying there and you don't need anything more than a compact as the roads are excellent and ther island is flat. The smaller cars like the Toyota Yaris will have right-hand drive while other vehicles are mainly left-hand drive.

I would definitely head for Rum Point, the rental gives you options that others son't have as it's very expensive to taxi to the north and east ends and a bus isn't a good option.

You could tour the East End first and see the Reef Resort if you're interested in looking at condos, or take the Frank Sound Road to get to RP faster. RP is a great spot to relax, less busy than SMB and the Wreck Bar & Grill serves an excellent grouper sandwich. Also home of the original mudslide and it is the best.

Bathrooms and changing rooms are clean, and there are chairs and tables available. You can also take jet-skis out to the reef or just ride for fun.

Have a great day!

• 1 year later...

Don't really want the hassle of having to make our way out to the airport to pick up a car... as we only have a limited time in port and want to make the most of our day! Want to drive around the island, and maybe go to Rum Point. Any one have any past experience with either of these companies? Haven't read a lot of positives regarding Cayman Auto.. so help! Please!!:)

Don't really want the hassle of having to make our way out to the airport to pick up a car... as we only have a limited time in port and want to make the most of our day! Want to drive around the island, and maybe go to Rum Point. Any one have any past experience with either of these companies? Haven't read a lot of positives regarding Cayman Auto.. so help! Please!!:)

Cayman Auto is within walking distance of port, which is nice. Our experience with them was a bit slower than we'd have liked, and they were a bit unorganized. I recall the two guys were arguing because they couldn't find the keys for the car we booked and they were deciding which car to upgrade us to, and then the one guy found the keys under some paperwork.

When we eloped in GC 2 years ago we rented from Andy's for 12 days and had great service.

Last time in GC on a cruise we rented from Andy's. They took my drivers license info ahead of time to expedite the paperwork, picked us up at the port in their shuttle and were super quick getting us processed and on the road.

I'm back in GC in January and went with Cayman Auto because their jeep prices were cheaper. When I emailed to ask about getting paperwork done ahead of time they said there was 'nothing they could do'. I hope I'm making a good choice by going back to Cayman Auto.

Driving around the island is easy. There are two driving itineraries on the the Frommer's website. We followed this one on our first trip ...

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/grand-cayman/729753#sthash.vJXBSVp5.dpbs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app