turns out I don't like cruising

Well, you tried it - and that's all I ask of my friends who insist that they wouldn't like cruising. :)

If you've found a style of vacation that works better for you, stick with it and make the most of your days off. If you haven't yet found something that you enjoy doing for a full week I would recommend giving it another try - either on another line or on a smaller ship.

Regardless, best wishes to you in your travels!

Thanks for your honest opinion. Cruising is not for everyone, but at least you tried it, it seems with a positive attitude. But...Teenagers up at 7:30 in the morning? For real? The teens I know sleep until at least noon. And I'll repeat what lots have already asked: Where were the parents???

I love cruising but realize it's not for everyone. We've been on over 20 so far and thankfully only one that we didn't like. The one we didn't like I have said many times over the years I am grateful it wasn't our first, or else it would have been our last.

I will never go camping again, I tried it a couple times and was absolutely miserable. I tried skiing, once, didn't care for that, either. We all have likes and dislikes, at least the OP tried it instead of trashing what they haven't experienced. It kind of drives me a tiny bit crazy when people have strong opinions for something they have never tried. I have a sister who is very critical of us taking cruises, she looks like she's sucking on a lemon when those of us who love to cruise together discuss it. Yes , she has been invited along.

Thanks to the OP for a frank and well thought out post. I am not in love with "big" ship cruising (although I see the Radience referred to as small, it's a floating city to me!). One thing that was stated rang very true to me: I also read so many good things about cruising on these boards that I may have had unrealistic expectations. I was led to believe that the level of service would be much higher than what I experienced, and that may have contributed to my disappointment.

Will I ever cruise again? Maybe. Hopefully mine was an isolated experience, but I learned things about what I like and dislike and try to plan vacations with a little more flexibility, fewer crowds, less hard sell, and the ability to get a drink or some ice without having to run all over the place to do so. That's just me, I guess! I still love the ocean & "itty-bitty" ships.

So thanks for pointing out some good points in a non-threatening manner! If I run into you on our next "styrofoam cooler tour" Say Hi-We'll be the quiet ones in the next room!

I also read so many good things about cruising on these boards that I may have had unrealistic expectations. I was led to believe that the level of service would be much higher than what I experienced, and that may have contributed to my disappointment.

I couldn't agree more. There's a much different service level between now and when I first cruised in 2004. Either that's because I'm getting older or because service really was better when I first cruised!

As you can see from the booked cruises in my signature, I haven't let that stop me from cruising. I've just lowered my expectations of the service I'll receive.....

Your post is both insightful and thought-provoking so thank you for sharing! I like the way that you presented your opinion, it was well written and I did not find any of what you said to be offensive. I agree with the others that despite the bullcrap that you had to put up with on Oasis, perhaps a different class of ships and/or lines will be better for you and your hubby. One person mentioned Celebrity and I have to agree with this opinion.

Celebrity is smaller and more expensive but what I have learned from past experienced cruisers is that the more luxurious the cruise lines are, the maturity level is more prominent when it comes to the guests and your neighbors. Does that mean that you won't experience unruly teenagers (or even immature adults)? Definitely not! Even families with lots of money have bratty, disrespectful kids….just look at some of Hollywood's a-listers and you'll see several examples. So I agree with you that luck has something to do with it and it's also a matter of trial and error. However, your chances of experiencing the same inconvenience as Oasis on a smaller/luxurious ship may be lower. So maybe Celebrity will be a better fit for you and if not, you may want to look at other ships such as Regent, Seabourn or Crystal (budget permitting of course).

With that said, best wishes on your future choice vacations on land and/or sea! I'm going to be on the Allure in May and if I come close to matching your experience, we'll be talking again in June!;)

Just a quick reply, Celebrity is not more expensive than most RCI cruises and certainly not more expensive than the Oasis or Allure.

Although I have never had it on a ship, I can understand the "feeling trapped" issue you mentioned. Bad neighbors, a bit of sea sickness and knowing that you can't just leave could make you feel that way for sure. I will say that if the motion on that large a ship bothered you, a smaller ship could be even worse.

You are still young and your tastes may change, so try it again in a few years and who knows, you might love it. I hope you do. :)

Thank you to OP for the comments, and thank you to the other posters for not flaming her.

I was reluctant to join CC after my sister-in -law had a an awful experience 5 or 6 years ago.

She posted about a near-riot on another cruise line and about some inappropriate actions by the captain.She also had to file a report with authorities about the situation...there were TRUE safety issues involved during the melee that was handled poorly by the other cruise line.

Not only did she get "screamed" at by all the "dear , dear CC members who are friends of Captain ", some of the folks that she met up with during her roll call meeting started e-mailing her disgusting letters! These nuts were such devotees of the other line that her innocent posting of a real problem just pushed them over the edge.

She has never been back to CC, although the CC staff treated her very well.

We all have different opinions, an I sure do appreciate the civility here on the Royal Boards!

Thank you, folks!

:)

:eek: Smoking??!!? Oh heaven forbid you get people started on that.

:eek: Smuggling?!!? Now you're just a menace to society.

:D:p :D:p

Tipping?????!! Now you're just trying to find a way to justify stiffing the staff.

Proud To Be Coal-

To the OP, it sounds like you gave it all a fair shake... and for that you are applauded. And for what it's worth, you are not alone. My sister and her husband tried a RCCL cruise out of Galveston several years ago. They too came to the conclusion it was not for them.

My sister said she felt "trapped" on the ship on sea days, and didn't feel there was much geared to her age group -- they were also in their 30's. She also had the misfortune of cruising during hurricane season, and got caught up in a Tropical Storm.

But at the time, she said she didn't regret trying it, and thought it was a great way to see many ports with the idea of unpacking just once.

Now that she's older and has a young child, she has begun talking about cruises again... knowing it's a safe way to take a vacation with a child, knowing there are options for her son to join other kids his age, and knowing there are more port intensive itineraries than just making stops in Cozumel, Key West and Jamaica over the course of 7 days.

Don't be surprised if you think back on your cruise a little differently several years down the road! :)

Ann

To the OP, it sounds like you gave it all a fair shake... and for that you are applauded. And for what it's worth, you are not alone. My sister and her husband tried a RCCL cruise out of Galveston several years ago. They too came to the conclusion it was not for them.

My sister said she felt "trapped" on the ship on sea days, and didn't feel there was much geared to her age group -- they were also in their 30's. She also had the misfortune of cruising during hurricane season, and got caught up in a Tropical Storm.

But at the time, she said she didn't regret trying it, and thought it was a great way to see many ports with the idea of unpacking just once.

Now that she's older and has a young child, she has begun talking about cruises again... knowing it's a safe way to take a vacation with a child, knowing there are options for her son to join other kids his age, and knowing there are more port intensive itineraries than just making stops in Cozumel, Key West and Jamaica over the course of 7 days.

Don't be surprised if you think back on your cruise a little differently several years down the road! :)

Ann

We took our first cruise three years ago and were not thrilled with it. But the DW is not liking the options for a land vacation this year so we are looking at taking our second cruise.

We took our first cruise three years ago and were not thrilled with it. But the DW is not liking the options for a land vacation this year so we are looking at taking our second cruise.

After our honeymoon cruise with the now defunct Regency cruise line, my wife (her first ever) was not too thrilled with cruising either. I assured her it wasn't typical of most cruises, or cruising in general. After a few more land based and cruise vacations, she has since changed her mind and decided that cruising is a pretty good deal. Whenever she catches me checking fares, she just gets a big smile on her face and asks "Do I have to put in for vacation?"

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your first cruise. That just sucks. Our first cruise was one with very rough seas but we decided to book a second. Surely our luck couldn't be bad again. And it wasn't. We are booked on our 8th cruise next month. Anyway, we sailed the Oasis last year and didn't like it at all. It was just too big. Couldn't see the ocean from the inside of the ship. I felt like I was on a floating mall. We much prefer the smaller ships, Enchantment is one of our favorites. If you do try sailing again, I would surely try a smaller more intimate ship.

Archived