Walgreen's on Canal Street - Wine package choices?

erinmarie424

I know there's a Walgreen's on Canal Street and that is where I will most likely head for my pre-cruise wine and soda purchase. Can anyone tell me if they have any of the small (750 ml or less) boxes of wine or 4-pack minis available for purchase?

Also, if anyone has tried to take the 4 packs on Carnival, have they allowed them or not? I know the answer is different depending on the port....and that I may need to post this on the Carnival board!

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that the Walgreen's on Canal does not sell alcohol. Not too far away is a Rouse's Supermarket at 701 Baronne Street. They have a good selection and good prices.

Can't answer the other part of your question. Most people just bring the 750 ml bottles.

Walgreen's stopped selling alcohol back in the 90's. I understand that they have started selling it again in some states. I know the Walgreen's on Decatur Street (French Quarter)doesn't sell it.

Rouse's would still have a better selection and better prices. You can check their ads online.

Also, if anyone has tried to take the 4 packs on Carnival, have they allowed them or not? I know the answer is different depending on the port....and that I may need to post this on the Carnival board!

Thanks!

I have taken a 3 ltr. box of wine in my carry-on to a Carnival cruise thru the New Orleans port 3 times and never been stopped or questioned by the TSA screening. They did make me dump my open bottle of water, however. go figure :-}

A couple of comments - TSA has nothing to do with the screening at cruise ports. The screeners don't like open containers going through the machines and the machines don't like having liquids spilled on them.

Rouse's is a good choice.

I usually just go to Unique Grocery, just off Canal Street, also on Royal. You can usually find some interesting characters in the store.

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

Thanks wikoffclan for the info about what they let through at the port. And thanks Sargent Schultz for the info about Unique Grocery. We may have actually been there last year.... my memory is a little fuzzy about exact locations I went to after our dinners last year... LOL

• 1 month later...

We just spent three days in NO prior to our Carnival Conquest cruise. We did by wine and beer at the CVS on Canal St. Wine and beer at CVS were the normal prices. I checked the liquour stores on Canal St. and their prices were double than what they should be. I check Berringer's White Zif for 750ml and it is usually $7.00 at home. In these liquor stores it was over $15+. CVS does carry hard liquor. Walgreens does not carry liquor of any kind.

We were able to get wine and beer through the security. It seems like the security is not part of Carnival but local NO security. (same deal if you cruise out of New York City)

Once you get through this security, there is not another security check point.

We saw people taking 12 packs of soda, 24 packs of water, or whatever you could carry on. Just be discret with the beer and hard liquor. Don't have it exposed. Per Carnival, you are allowed to take one bottle 750ml of wine or champange per guest.

2012 – Carnival Conquest – Feb. – W. Caribbean

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean