Vancouver: Grouse Mountain Sunset Tour. Worth doing?

azguy

Thanks to those who offered me advice regarding Vancouver.

We've booked our hotel in downtown Vancouver. The Vancouver Trolley makes a stop at our hotel so we'll plan to use them to do some sightseeing during the day.

I see that they offer a sunset tour to Grouse Mountain, with apparently 2 hours on the mountain, then they bring you back. Has anyone done this? Worth doing?

Thanks.

If it is a nice sunny and warm day - the top of Grouse or the Peak of Vancouver as it is often referred to is a great place to catch a sunset, have a drink, visit the grizzly bear and wolf habitat. Sunset in the summer - June and July will be after 9PM. Check out their web site at http://www.grousemtn.com for more information on this top rated local tourist attraction.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the response.

I see the Vancouver Trolley company has a trolley you can take on your own during the day. You can then pay to do a sunset tour in the evening at Grouse Mountain.

Another company has a 5 hour narrated tour starting at 2:00pm that hits the suspension bridge, Grouse, and a couple of other sites.

My wife and I are torn over which way to go. At this point, I'm leaning towards walking Stanley Park on our own until 2:00pm, taking the 2:00pm tour that ends around 7:00pm, and then going on our own for dinner.

It looks like if we take the Vancouver Trolley tour, we have to handle the suspension bridge tour on our own, I think. We then have to pay another nice size sum to go to Grouse that evening.

Of course, if we go the route I've outlined, we miss seeing the sunset from Grouse. Instead, we would probably seek out a water-front restaurant to have dinner.

Any thoughts as to water front dinner places? Any other thoughts on our plans? Sorry for the vagueness. Thanks.

Another company has a 5 hour narrated tour starting at 2:00pm that hits the suspension bridge, Grouse, and a couple of other sites.

Azguy,

Who is doing the 5 hour tour? We have barely touched on our Vancouver plans since we won't know exactly how much time we have until we get our docs (Princess Air). I just print a lot of stuff with the intention of checking it out when we get our info.

We don't leave until 8/28. I would love to hear how your choices go for you guys. :)

Azguy,

Who is doing the 5 hour tour? We have barely touched on our Vancouver plans since we won't know exactly how much time we have until we get our docs (Princess Air). I just print a lot of stuff with the intention of checking it out when we get our info.

We don't leave until 8/28. I would love to hear how your choices go for you guys. :)

We are looking at this tour:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Tour # 2 is the 5 hour tour. We are leaning towards this given our time constraints and it hits Grouse & the suspension bridge. We figure we walk Stanley Park on our own before doing this 5 hour tour. This is the last day of our vacation so I have to admit that I haven't paid as much attention on this day.

I would suggest the 5 hour tour that hits both Grouse Mountain & the Capilano suspension Bridge as they are both well worth the time and money to enjoy!

Plus Vancouver has many fine waterfront restaurants for you to enjoy dinner and the sunset from. i would suggest that you go up to the top of the Harbour Center "Restaurant on Top" tot he revolving restaaurant for dinner not only will you be able to enjoy the sunset but also a wonderful view of Vancouver.

How much time are you spending in Vancouver? For the price of that tour, two of you could just rent a car and drive there for cheaper.

Thanks for the note. We have struggled with this as well. Our boat comes in at 7:30am, so however long it takes us to get off the boat. We leave the next day on a 2:30pm flight, so I assume we'll need to be at the airport in Vancouver around noon to 12:30pm at the latest.

We are leaning towards hanging on our own after we check in to our hotel, do the 5 hour tour, and then try to find a nice waterfront restaurant to have dinner. (Open to suggestions on any good seafood or other waterfront spots).

We figured there was enough to do in downtown to keep us busy and the 5 hour tour is narrated. Totally open to ideas, just our thinking.

the sun set and the city sparkle. Watch the sail boats come in while you sip a cocktail on the deck. There is lots to do up there and a great restaurant!

Thanks for the note. If we do that 5 hour tour, it looks like they go up to the mountain as a part of their tour. One reason we were thinking of going with them. After the tour is over (which would be 7:00pm), would it make sense logistically/price to return to the mountain to have dinner or just shoot for somewhere else on the waterfront?

We're into seafood or Italian food. Any good spots on the waterfront or the mountain that are not too fancy?

There's definitely plenty to do in downtown Vancouver to fill a day. Unfortunately, Capilano Bridge is nowhere near downtown, and it's a one-of-a-kind attraction. Remember: you Tarzan, she Jane. :D Grouse Mountain is...well....a mountain.... If you're doing Mt. Roberts in Juneau, it's kind of redundant.

There's a huge underground mall downtown; probably within walking distance of you. Puts Atlanta's underground to shame. And it houses the world's largest Sears--6 stories! Not sure if that's your cup of tea, but I almost never see it in tourists' literature.

I would suggest the 5 hour tour that hits both Grouse Mountain & the Capilano suspension Bridge as they are both well worth the time and money to enjoy!

Plus Vancouver has many fine waterfront restaurants for you to enjoy dinner and the sunset from. i would suggest that you go up to the top of the Harbour Center "Restaurant on Top" tot he revolving restaaurant for dinner not only will you be able to enjoy the sunset but also a wonderful view of Vancouver.

HappyGal: Thanks for the response.

I'm still researching Vancouver, so dumb question perhaps. You mention the restaurants on the waterfront and also mention the "Restaurant on Top." From what I gather, this is on Grouse Mountain? We have one night for a dinner in Vancouver. Is the mountain and water front two different options?

Which one may be best? We're open to "American" food and Italian as probably our preferred routes.

Thanks.

Archived