Alaska Advise Please

maxsmamma

I went on HAl Amsterdam last June 14 days of pure joy. this the way to see Alaska. make sure if you do this tour you pick up the book

the Alakska handdbook by Joe Upton

it includes a 22"x34" map and easy navigation system for following your ships progress

I wish I had it before I left but its a must have on this cruise

Mary

We are RT Seattle, going to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Ketchitan, and Sitka.

I think we are going on the Whale and Rainforest in Juneau, better chances for Whales, and sometime by the Mendenhall Glacier. The trip is also limited in number. When we get done we are going to King Crab for some tasty yummies!

Now we may have to keep it cheap in Ketchitan and Sitka, this trip is expensive! Any ideas?

In Ketchikan you can walk to the Totem Heritage Center and see old totem poles that have been rescued from the forest and abandoned villages. Very old, some are very decrepit, and IMHO it is an amazing experience. There's also the Deer Street Hatchery near the Totem Center. In 2010, admission to each was $5/person.

Creek Street and the Married Man's Trail are worth seeing, too. Free. The Visitor Center has maps and walking directions for self-guided walks.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

If you go to the Totem Center, walk along Stedman and Deermount -- there are privately-owned totem poles in a number of front yards.

We took a tour with Orca Enterprises in Juneau and had a very good experience. Harv and Marv were very highly recommended but they were unable to accomodate our group of 9 so we went with Orca instead - make sure to contact them EARLY!

Orca organized transportation for part of our group to and from Mendenhall Glacier; we spent the morning hiking near Mendenhall and then took the afternoon whale watch tour. It was an excellent day, but I'm not one to "relax" on vacation.:D

keep it cheap in...Sitka, this trip is expensive! Any ideas?

You can visit the Historical National Forest and explore the trails. There are restrooms along the trails, as well, but the forest also has many totem poles. There's a National Park visitor's center (collect the stamp for the souvenir National Park Passport?).

DH and I walked through the forest to visit the Raptor Center (other side... up a hill)...reasonably-priced admission. Adults $12, Children $6... http://www.alaskaraptor.org/SITE/pages/VisitUs.html

Also, you can walk to a National Cemetery, Swan Lake, and an historic cemetery from the days of Russia... for free. A climb up some steep stairs or a gradual access ramp will take you to the top of Baronof Castle Hill with great views (and good picture opportunities back toward the ship).

We have been to Sitka several times, and we have yet to tour the Orthodox Church. BTW, that isn't free. Other fairly inexpensive entertainment... the dancers at the Centennial Center (unsure of price there).

This time, we plan to splurge on a boat/wildlife tour hoping to see whales and otters.

Archived