Harv & Marv's scary whale watch adventure?

gerinapo

LJ what camera did you use fo rthe pics? They are awesome!!!!

Almost all the photos were shot using a Canon 50D and a rented 100-400mm L IS lens. This year I'm bringing my new 7D and my Sigma 150-500mm lens:D. Then I can have a wide angle zoom on the 50D as a back up for closer in shots without having to switch lenses like last trip.

L.J.

Thanks LJ I am using my daughters cannon rebel t3 and was hoping it was close but we are a bit off but I think I will still get some good pictures with it. She also has the 75-300mm lens which may bring me in close enough for some whale shots. :)

Thanks LJ I am using my daughters cannon rebel t3 and was hoping it was close but we are a bit off but I think I will still get some good pictures with it. She also has the 75-300mm lens which may bring me in close enough for some whale shots. :)

300mm will get you some fine shots, as long as the whales cooperate:p. The T3 has a high enough pixel count that you can crop in and "blow up" the subject pretty easily unless it really small to begin with.

L.J.

I think you will get some great shots. We have a Canon 7D with a EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L telephoto lens. These shots (click on the link to see the pictures) are straight out of camera. I still need to do a little cropping and touch up.

(I cannot attach photos to my postings.)

We have a Canon T3i with an 18-200 lens and found it very adequate for the whales. I didnt want to change lens on a boat so just went with the one. If you are more prolific at switching quickly you may want one with a little longer reach. I was able to get pics like this

Juneauandwhalewatching061.jpg

May not be contest worthy or anything but we are very happy with them

Squid

We have a Canon T3i with an 18-200 lens and found it very adequate for the whales. I didnt want to change lens on a boat so just went with the one. If you are more prolific at switching quickly you may want one with a little longer reach. I was able to get pics like this

Squid

What a great lunge feeding shot!

L.J.

Squid

This is a great picture! I have seen the other side of lunge feeding, which is awesome and this is just as amazing! Whales are amazing creatures! Oh, and for what it is worth, I think this picture is contest worthy.

We just got back from Alaska and went out with Steve from Harv and Marv's. It was just the 6 of us and we had a blast. Steve truly felt like family when we left, he had so much information to impart and did it in a way that it was interesting even to our 12 year olds. We saw orca's, lots of humpbacks, including a mama named Flame and her baby. One whale breeched right in front of our boat, Steve was yelling "Breech, full breech!" Our twins saw it and are still talking about it. It was not rough but not calm either and nobody felt the least bit sick. I know that the whale watching is expensive and I admit to wondering before hand if it was worth it. Trust me, it was SO worth it! Experience of a life time.

Archived