so I thought I was crazy for planning every aspect of my outfit...

LEXIpoo

for my upcoming cruise, and then I stumble upon this section.

Glad I'm not alone! I loveee fashion and on my last cruise I kind of felt like I might have been a bit overdressed because everyone was just in jeans and t-shirts and shorts but I was always decked out...glad I'm not alone! :)

I don't cruise until April but I've already started my shopping, LOL

Same here! I cruise in April and have most of my outfits picked out already. I have 3 formal nights and have about 5 outfits for that. Can't decide which to bring though. So far, I also have 6 dressy/casual outfits as I always like to dress for dinner and I like to have a different outfit for every night. My problem is that I want to bring all of them. How do you go about deciding what to bring and what to eliminate?

I never seem to get this right and wonder what the "formula" is??? Help! :eek: One thing I don't have trouble with is dressing for daytime. I just bring a couple of pairs of capris and a pair of shorts with some tees and wash and wear them over and over!! LOL And a couple of swimsuits.

Thanks for not making me feel crazy! Lol

How long are you going for??

Last time I cruised I packed items that could be used interchangeably. I personally liked to dress up a bit for dinner as well but then again I wouldn't want to explore the cruise ship in my semi-dressy outfit so sometimes I wore a tank top and shorts and put a blazer over it paired with some heels, and after dinner I'd take the blazer off and the heels, and slipped on some sandals and that saved A LOT of space! So this is going to be my formula from now on :)

Thanks for not making me feel crazy! Lol

How long are you going for??

Last time I cruised I packed items that could be used interchangeably. I personally liked to dress up a bit for dinner as well but then again I wouldn't want to explore the cruise ship in my semi-dressy outfit so sometimes I wore a tank top and shorts and put a blazer over it paired with some heels, and after dinner I'd take the blazer off and the heels, and slipped on some sandals and that saved A LOT of space! So this is going to be my formula from now on :)

The cruise is 14 days and then my SIL and I are going to spend 3 days in Barcelona. Can't wait....my first TA.

I think you've hit on a good formula. Very good idea. I will bring a blazer along with a couple of scarves which always dress things up.

Do you use a packing list? I wish I could find a good one. Any ideas?

The cruise is 14 days and then my SIL and I are going to spend 3 days in Barcelona. Can't wait....my first TA.

I think you've hit on a good formula. Very good idea. I will bring a blazer along with a couple of scarves which always dress things up.

Do you use a packing list? I wish I could find a good one. Any ideas?

I use a packing list that I made for myself. It's permanently on my computer on excel, I just tweak it for every trip...changing the clothing list. You really need to go through your day/evening, what you need to get ready. That list will be different for everyone. Leave behind what is not essential for the week (or longer). For example, I typically use a different cleanser for morning and evening on my face...on vacation I take one. Same thing with eye creams, lotions, etc...

Cruise Diva dot com (eliminate the spaces) has a list that has been popular for years now. The diva list will give examples of how to pack for day by day, mixing and matching. A little too detailed for me, I just hang my stuff on a rolling rack and see what goes together. My list just says X number pants X number shirts, etc...

I have found that organizing in one place and having everything ready to go before packing starts works best for me. No more guessing if I remembered something, no more double packing items. I keep the carry on packed all the time with travel sized product and tools I use (makeup and hair) that are duplicates of my daily use stuff, no more scrambling around last minute or forgetting a critical item. It can still happen, last cruise for some reason I didn't have a contact lens case packed. I have everything ready to pack a few days before departure, all the clothes hung on a rolling rack, all the accessories/toiletries/shoes stacked below the rack. It takes me about 20 minutes to pack everything this way, plus I'm downstairs, so no hauling suitcases up and down the stairs.

No more mad scramble to pack, no more doubts wondering if I packed a certain item (don't know how I missed the lens case, it's usually packed into a lens care kit...must have borrowed it). I have no idea how people pack far in advance, I'd forget what was in the case by the time I was ready to leave and pack more. I need a check off list and I need to pack the morning we leave, sometimes the night before, I'd go crazy wondering if I were packed a week in advance.

I love the spreadsheets that have been shared, I've not gotten that far into it but I do like to put items together and take pictures so I have a complete picture of the direction I want to go. As for planning a specific day, I haven't gotten to that point. I just like to pick from the items I have packed.

I use a packing list that I made for myself. It's permanently on my computer on excel, I just tweak it for every trip...changing the clothing list. You really need to go through your day/evening, what you need to get ready. That list will be different for everyone. Leave behind what is not essential for the week (or longer). For example, I typically use a different cleanser for morning and evening on my face...on vacation I take one. Same thing with eye creams, lotions, etc...

Cruise Diva dot com (eliminate the spaces) has a list that has been popular for years now. The diva list will give examples of how to pack for day by day, mixing and matching. A little too detailed for me, I just hang my stuff on a rolling rack and see what goes together. My list just says X number pants X number shirts, etc...

I have found that organizing in one place and having everything ready to go before packing starts works best for me. No more guessing if I remembered something, no more double packing items. I keep the carry on packed all the time with travel sized product and tools I use (makeup and hair) that are duplicates of my daily use stuff, no more scrambling around last minute or forgetting a critical item. It can still happen, last cruise for some reason I didn't have a contact lens case packed. I have everything ready to pack a few days before departure, all the clothes hung on a rolling rack, all the accessories/toiletries/shoes stacked below the rack. It takes me about 20 minutes to pack everything this way, plus I'm downstairs, so no hauling suitcases up and down the stairs.

No more mad scramble to pack, no more doubts wondering if I packed a certain item (don't know how I missed the lens case, it's usually packed into a lens care kit...must have borrowed it). I have no idea how people pack far in advance, I'd forget what was in the case by the time I was ready to leave and pack more. I need a check off list and I need to pack the morning we leave, sometimes the night before, I'd go crazy wondering if I were packed a week in advance.

Thanks for the Cruise Diva packing list! It's pretty much perfect.

I'm gonna print one out for my boyfriend and I because last time he was soooo unorganized and he ended up getting on my nerves LOL.

And thanks for the tip about organizing in one place. Everytime I pack to go somewhere my things are always all over the place and it gets tiring and hectic sometimes so I'm definitely going to try that.

A lot of times I pack like a week in advance because I convince myself that time will hurry up but then I always end up unpacking my things the night before to make sure I have everything indeed and packing it right back...which makes no sense but it's comforting to me lol

I have my packing list on excel too and then tweek it too for cruising, camping, hotel vacays etc. I have that list with a column for me, hubby and kids but then I have my own list of what I'm wearing what days with specific outfits. I am glad I am not alone. I enjoy dressing for dinner too and then different for shows or whatnot later on at night. Of course everything has to have its own accessories to match too. Earrings, bracelets, necklaces. I really do need to try to bring items that can be worn with more than one thing but have yet to do so.

I cruise in June and am already making notes. Of course and comparing to pics of what I wore on my last cruise.

Connie

I have my own excel spreadsheets for packing - even for different kinds of trips. There's the cruise trip, then the driving vacation (usually more than 7 nights), camping, and weekend trips.

As for eliminating outfits, trying figuring out which shoes you need for what outfits. Try to take as few evening shoes (but take one with a low heel or flats in case it's a rough water). If one dress doesn't look right without "x" shoes but those shoes don't go with anything else you're packing, leave that dress and those shoes at home.

Also, make sure everything fits, complete with all buttons, fixed hems, replaced zippers, etc. And put any special undergarments you need with that outfit. I hang the things I think I'm going to take in a certain part of my closet. A week or 2 out, I try everything on and then lay it out on the bed and match shoes to stuff. Then I start eliminating.

As for eliminating outfits, trying figuring out which shoes you need for what outfits. Try to take as few evening shoes (but take one with a low heel or flats in case it's a rough water). If one dress doesn't look right without "x" shoes but those shoes don't go with anything else you're packing, leave that dress and those shoes at home.

Thanks Carmen. I know from experience that taking too many shoes takes up too much valuable luggage space so which ones to take? This little tip helped me immensely. I now know which outfits to leave at home. ;)

Edie

This is a checklist we give out to customers in the luggage store. I use it more for the home checklist than anything else, since I have an essential list I customized for myself.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel_insights/travel_toolkit/check_list.php

Here it is downloaded:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/media/downloads/TravelersChecklist-2011.pdf

Still don't quite know what pinterest is, but I see the dress you posted, very cute. Pinterest is listed as a social website. Do you use it to store pics of things you find?

(I'm a Facebook failure, don't get it at all, only go there when I am emailed a notice that someone posted on my wall) ;)

I have a bunch of travel accessories that I have collected over the years that I only allow myself to use when I travel...you know that special flameless candle, the travel alarm clock, the travel curling iron, the special travel jewelry and lingerie case (you would think I have an account with Magellan and TravelSmith and Tumi...oh wait I do:))..

Anyway, I keep all of my special "supplies" in an old empty extra large suitcase that I no longer use for trips. As I buy new things or think that I need something I always store my stuff and check in that case..

Everything is in one place and stays "new" until my next vacation...

Bon Voyage and yes, I had already started packing and prepping for my cruise!

Donna

Still don't quite know what pinterest is, but I see the dress you posted, very cute. Pinterest is listed as a social website. Do you use it to store pics of things you find?

(I'm a Facebook failure, don't get it at all, only go there when I am emailed a notice that someone posted on my wall) ;)

Yes, it is a social website. Its a page for book marking webpages but in pictures, Its really great!

for my upcoming cruise, and then I stumble upon this section.

Glad I'm not alone! I loveee fashion and on my last cruise I kind of felt like I might have been a bit overdressed because everyone was just in jeans and t-shirts and shorts but I was always decked out...glad I'm not alone! :)

I don't cruise until April but I've already started my shopping, LOL

Good grief no! You are not alone!:D I cleaned out my closet last weekend and set aside the things I want to wear on the cruise in...JUNE!:cool: I've been shopping as well and will use my packing list. It's half the fun!

This is a checklist we give out to customers in the luggage store. I use it more for the home checklist than anything else, since I have an essential list I customized for myself.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel_insights/travel_toolkit/check_list.php

Here it is downloaded:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/media/downloads/TravelersChecklist-2011.pdf

thank you!

Good grief no! You are not alone!:D I cleaned out my closet last weekend and set aside the things I want to wear on the cruise in...JUNE!:cool: I've been shopping as well and will use my packing list. It's half the fun!

LOL it really is fun though!

But my dad always say if you fail to prepare then you prepare to fail...so it's better to start now and have everything planned out then do things at the last minute and not enjoy your trip properly b/c you forgot some essential items.

My boyfriend waits until the last minute to do EVERYTHING so this time I'm making separate checklists for the two of us and demanding that he packs a week ahead of time :D

I have a pinterest account and already selecting outfits for my cruise in...... October! lol!

You're not crazy for planning things out at all. I don't go on vacation that often so want to look good on the pictures :)

I love pinterest! What's your name on there??

I have my own excel spreadsheets for packing - even for different kinds of trips. There's the cruise trip, then the driving vacation (usually more than 7 nights), camping, and weekend trips.

Also, make sure everything fits, complete with all buttons, fixed hems, replaced zippers, etc. And put any special undergarments you need with that outfit. I hang the things I think I'm going to take in a certain part of my closet. A week or 2 out, I try everything on and then lay it out on the bed and match shoes to stuff. Then I start eliminating.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna have to try that.

My boyfriend waits until the last minute to do EVERYTHING so this time I'm making separate checklists for the two of us and demanding that he packs a week ahead of time :D

Ugh - this sounds familiar! My husband always forgets something - either forgets to pack something, or leaves something behind on the trip. For someone who's on the road for work about 75% of the time, you'd think he'd have it down pat, but no. For business trips I leave him to his own devices, but for vacations, I'll go through his bag and make sure he has packed what I think he really needs :)

My DD (age 7) is already picking out her clothes for our cruise which leaves in about four weeks - she's her mother's daughter, lol. I have a spreadsheet that I put together for myself with columns for day, activity, type of clothing needed, and then specific items to take. I'm planning on using it for both myself and DD - at least to make sure she takes the things she really needs, otherwise her bag would be full of nothing but frilly dresses, and nothing else.

Archived