rough seas in the atlantic

noslen3333

I am cruising on the Norwegian Crown repositioning out of Philadelphia in October. I have never done the East Carribean before so my question is........what kind of seas might I encounter during October? I've heard of blue northerners and such. I'm from Texas and 14 foot seas are about the largest I've seen. Never gave any of this a second thought until I read about the Dawn. I wonder how the Crown would have faired since she is a smaller ship. Thanks.

October is in the middle of hurricane season in the Caribbean. :eek: Hurricanes create big waves. Cruise vessels will avoid the hurricane, but the outer weather bands from the hurricane can still cause very rough water and more rain than you would desire for a nice vacation cruise. Happy sailing! :)

We cruised the atlantic in late october and returned the first week of November. I believe we went to bermuda. Never again will i cruise the atlantic in early spring, fall, or winter. It was awful. After that experience we just fly somewhere and jump into the carribbean sea.

I was on the Dawn October 31 - November 6 and we could not have asked for more perfect weather. Seas were mild the entire trip. I would go again at that time of year in a minute. As you can see from this weekend's news, you can hit rough seas any time of the year.

Last October I sailed from Philly to Savannah on the Europa, a much smaller ship than Norwegian Dawn. We experienced a thunderstorm at sea after leaving Baltimore the second night of the cruise and could definitely feel motion. The rest of the cruise was smooth as glass. I wondered how sea conditions would be off Cape Hatteras. Dead calm on that particular sailing.

Remember, no one can predict the weather.

i second Linda on saying you can't predict the weather. I have been on many cruises under super smooth seas, rough seas and medium seas. It is hurricane season, but hurricanes are predictable and can be forecast, unlike a rogue wave....no need to worry. if there is a hurricane out there, you can be diverted to another area...for example, if you are scheduled to sail the eastern caribbean, you would do western caribbean instead.

dont worry about it and please disregard the instigators on this board.

Actually, October is at the tail of Hurricane season and I have cruised 5 times in October, we get great deals and this year had to deal with the first hurricane. It was no problem as they just move around them. Other than Barbados being wiped out, we had a great cruise.

noslen3333,

I have sailed on the original "Love Boat" from NYC to Bermuda -- a much smaller ship than the N. Crown. On the way back up to NYC as soon as we left Bermuda, we hit a storm. At 12 noon it was pitch black with wind driven rain. Very bouncy!

I have also been on the N. Crown in Europe where the seas tend to be much rougher whenever you sail. You will encounter some rough seas in the Caribbean since you will be switching from one sea to another. It has little to do with the time of year unless there is a hurricane in the area.

Just be sure to pack Bonine (once a day tablets) -- better than Dramine. Eat bread, rolls, pizza, and pasta and go lightly on liquids if you feel queasy. Don't wait until you feel sick -- too late. Take your sea sick pills before the ship sails away from the dock.

Enjoy your trip. I will be on the N. Crown on 5/29 from NYC to Bermuda.

Maraprince 16_6_1v.gif

Archived