book TA or Direct with RCI

welshrich

Hi, spotted a quick cruise in September on Vision ots, usually I always book direct with RCI since I like control over it and I have had some bad experiences with TA's before (before anyone flames me I know that this is an emotive subject and there are many more good TA's), however RCI are doing a Q category for £475 (approx $717) but I've found a TA who is doing the same category for £338 (approx $510) I have used this TA before and they were OK but I found them unresponsive and not quick when I wanted to make any changes (until it came to payment time). So, would you go with the TA for this saving or go with RCI and keep checking for price drops that could bring it down to this price. Interstingly enough the TA claims to be a subsidiary of RCI.

I have never booked a cruise directly through the cruise linea, and I have used a variety of travel agents, and have settled on one that I use exclusively now.

I love that if I have an issue or question I can fire off an email usually within 24 hours I have an answer and a solution, OR I can pick up the phone during business hours and call them directly. Plus, my TA usually has group rates available and some very nice onboard amenities, such as credit, gifts, wine, etc. She and her staff seem to appreciate me and I like that.

You should do what seems right for you. Saving a couple hundred dollars would certainly sway me towards the TA.....$200 can come in handy on a cruise. Happy cruising!

Hi, spotted a quick cruise in September on Vision ots, usually I always book direct with RCI since I like control over it and I have had some bad experiences with TA's before (before anyone flames me I know that this is an emotive subject and there are many more good TA's), however RCI are doing a Q category for £475 (approx $717) but I've found a TA who is doing the same category for £338 (approx $510) I have used this TA before and they were OK but I found them unresponsive and not quick when I wanted to make any changes (until it came to payment time). So, would you go with the TA for this saving or go with RCI and keep checking for price drops that could bring it down to this price. Interstingly enough the TA claims to be a subsidiary of RCI.

From your description I think we have used this TA in the past. Their service was exactly as you describe with the added benefit of them sending my tickets to the wrong address. Luckily they had been sent to someone on our roll call so all was not lost:rolleyes:

If you can put up with the lack of control and service, it's a big saving.

Sue

I have never booked a cruise directly through the cruise linea, and I have used a variety of travel agents, and have settled on one that I use exclusively now.

I love that if I have an issue or question I can fire off an email usually within 24 hours I have an answer and a solution, OR I can pick up the phone during business hours and call them directly. Plus, my TA usually has group rates available and some very nice onboard amenities, such as credit, gifts, wine, etc. She and her staff seem to appreciate me and I like that.

You should do what seems right for you. Saving a couple hundred dollars would certainly sway me towards the TA.....$200 can come in handy on a cruise. Happy cruising!

Hi, thanks for the reply, I see tour point with this, the problem in the UK is that a lot of TA's are not proactive and just want the booking then don't want any contact with you until final payment, I'm lucky that I am already on two nice cruises this year (I'm on the Rome-Galveston one too) so need to save a few pennies, I don't think the price will drop as low as the TA is offering so will probably book with them.

How is the weather is LV? Been there a few times, not a gambler but love the place.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I see tour point with this, the problem in the UK is that a lot of TA's are not proactive and just want the booking then don't want any contact with you until final payment, I'm lucky that I am already on two nice cruises this year (I'm on the Rome-Galveston one too) so need to save a few pennies, I don't think the price will drop as low as the TA is offering so will probably book with them.

How is the weather is LV? Been there a few times, not a gambler but love the place.

Yeah, cruising can get expensive so every little bit helps!

Las Vegas has been sunny, as usual, and a little on the chilly side, highs in the low 60's F...into the 40's at night. I prefer warmer weather but I know it's on the way. We have lived in Vegas for 38 years and we love it here....if only it was a little closer to a cruise port it would be perfect!

Hi, spotted a quick cruise in September on Vision ots, usually I always book direct with RCI since I like control over it and I have had some bad experiences with TA's before (before anyone flames me I know that this is an emotive subject and there are many more good TA's), however RCI are doing a Q category for £475 (approx $717) but I've found a TA who is doing the same category for £338 (approx $510) I have used this TA before and they were OK but I found them unresponsive and not quick when I wanted to make any changes (until it came to payment time). So, would you go with the TA for this saving or go with RCI and keep checking for price drops that could bring it down to this price

Is the price with RCCL including gratuties ?

Also remember if you book online with RCCL you get 5% discount.

Perhaps it may be worthwhile contacting RCCL and telling them the price this TA has it for and see what they say.

I have heard some bad reports regarding price drops etc about the TA you are referring to.

Is the price with RCCL including gratuties ?

Perhaps it may be worthwhile contacting RCCL and telling them the price this TA has it for and see what they say.

I have heard some bad reports regarding price drops etc about the TA you are referring to.

Small update, checked this morning and the price had risen by about £30 ($45), an hour later it dropped to £321, I called RCI since the TA is a subsidiary and RCI would not match it and advised me to go with the TA, started to book online and near the end called the TA, person I spoke with tells me that there may be an error on the web price (even though its been going up and down) and she will check what price I can have it, the line then went dead so I proceeded and completed the booking, so far I've had an email from TA confirming details so far, my deposit has been charged and the reservation is now visible on the RCI website, however, the TA has ramped the prices right up for new bookings, I'm going to wait the weekend and see what happens before I book flights or tell my other half that I've booked another cruise.

Small update, checked this morning and the price had risen by about £30 ($45), an hour later it dropped to £321, I called RCI since the TA is a subsidiary and RCI would not match it and advised me to go with the TA, started to book online and near the end called the TA, person I spoke with tells me that there may be an error on the web price (even though its been going up and down) and she will check what price I can have it, the line then went dead so I proceeded and completed the booking, so far I've had an email from TA confirming details so far, my deposit has been charged and the reservation is now visible on the RCI website, however, the TA has ramped the prices right up for new bookings, I'm going to wait the weekend and see what happens before I book flights or tell my other half that I've booked another cruise.

So does your invoice from the TA have the lower price ?

I have almost always booked direct with RCI.

I now have a trusted T/A and after I book direct, I transfer the booking to him.

This has worked out well for me.

I live in Palm Coast as well and I am curious what company you use around here? We are booked with a company now and haven't been the happiest with them.

Can anyone explain this to me? I've booked directly with RC 3 times and never heard of or received this discount.

Not sure, but I think this may be something that is done in the UK. Their booking rules are different than ours in the US.

Think we have also used the same TA, (says on there website they are 100% owned by Royal Caribbean)

Received no paperwork whatsover until final payment was due. Tried to charge us more than we were quoted and when I queried it they said they would have to listen to the call log, needless to say I was correct :rolleyes:

Booked our flights with them also then had to ring Qatar Airways myself to sort out problems with the reservation.

Just hope they manage to send the guest booklet and eticket to the right address then !!

Hey ho

Think we have also used the same TA, (says on there website they are 100% owned by Royal Caribbean)

Received no paperwork whatsover until final payment was due. Tried to charge us more than we were quoted and when I queried it they said they would have to listen to the call log, needless to say I was correct :rolleyes:

Booked our flights with them also then had to ring Qatar Airways myself to sort out problems with the reservation.

Just hope they manage to send the guest booklet and eticket to the right address then !!

Hey ho

Thats the one, I did book a cruise before with them, the way they advertise on the TV channel is so slick, however, when I have spoken with them I mentioned they are owned by RCI and the guy I spoke with didnt know what I was on about as I wanted to apply a future cruise certificate. I would not have used them again except that this price was too good to pass up, at least there are no flights (with them) involved so its just a case of paying the balance and then I can check in online. If you want to leave comments for them try their twitter feed as I don't think their Customer Care dept really care, I wish TA's could be named on here, the good and the bad.

Archived