Bahamas with 11yr old ?

phyzz

This will be our 2nd trip to nassau . the first time we had a schedule excursion to Blue lagoon . This time we thought we would wing it to

try to save a few $$ . (we have also seen Digg and Atlantis .)

What is within walking distance from the dock ? can you walk to the zoo ? is it safe for the 2 of us to walk there ?

any other suggestions for us ?

thanks

Phyllis

can you walk to the zoo ?

NO!

We started to walk (I thought I read or maybe a local said "walking distance") & ended up hailing a cab.

Luckily we met a friend, who lives outside of Nassau, at the zoo & she drove us to a spot where we could take the bus back... (not back to the port because the traffic back to where she lives at that time of day is awful.)

So make plans (or ask at the zoo about being able to call) with the cab for a return ride.

It is a small, yet fun zoo. They have Lorikeets that you can feed & the marching flamingoes are fun too. We enjoyed ourselves!

We grabbed the bus #10 Jitney I believe...it's a few blocks (5-6) walk from the pier. They drop you off at the foot of the hill. The fort is ther and we walked up and then around the zoo. It's small but quite fun. And the flamingos are well worth watching! As well as feeding the Loris!

Ft. Charlotte is also by the bus stop by the zoo. It has dungeons that an 11 yr old would probably like. The Queen's steps and Ft. Fincastle have a good view. My favorite thing in Nassau was the library. It is in an old octagonal building that used to be the jail. You can explore and see bookshelves in the old cells. There is an observation area on top. It is across from the pier, behind the pink government buildings. And there is always the straw market.

Archived