QM2 Independence Weekend Cruise

scottsanfilippo

Hi All -

I just sailed on QM2 for the April 2 Carribbean cruise. I'm contemplating booking the Independence Weekend cruise to nowhere - I actually have a cabin being held. Has anyone done this one before? How are the seas this time of year, and where in the Atlantic does she sail?

Thanks

Scott

Yes I was on this one last year it was a 4 day not a 3 day - we went as far south as Cape Hatteras then onto Newport RI to see the fireworks. The port of New York was closed. So I did not want to take a chance this year to spend all that money and not get to see the fireworks - we are booked on the Westbound Transatlantic from June 26; I'm spending 4th of July in the city that way I know I will see the fireworks in front of the Statue of Liberty!!!

The seas were flat calm.

Malinda

Scott,

Malinda was on the cruise so would know better - but at the time I recall a lot of posts on the board from people saying 'What a lot of rude people on this trip' - whether this was a function of (at the time) poor service, over-high expectations, or simply rude passengers I don't know - but might be worth soliciting a few opinions.

Peter

Hi Scott!

While I know of the posts from last year's trip, I'm determined to change that opinion for this year's trip. Our group is not rude. :) We've been on QM2 before and loved it and plan on having a great time this trip as well. If there's enough of us nice, non-rude people on board, then it will be a great cruise. So don't hesitate, come along. I was in Newport RI last year for 4th of July, and when I saw the QM2 out there in the harbor enjoying the fireworks and all the fanfare of the other vessels, I vowed to be on it this year. You can't go wrong with a trip on QM2.

BTW, what category room do you have on hold? We have a B6 category but are looking to change.

2 weeks ago we had cabin 9003 which is a Q5. It was great - despite being so up front with the nasty waves the first 24 hours. I just went ahead and booked another Q5 for this cruise. I think it would be an awesome sight with the fireworks and all. And of course, I'm having QM2 withdrawl already - so it's going to be good to go back! Fingers crossed for calmer seas this time!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All -

I just sailed on QM2 for the April 2 Carribbean cruise. I'm contemplating booking the Independence Weekend cruise to nowhere - I actually have a cabin being held. Has anyone done this one before? How are the seas this time of year, and where in the Atlantic does she sail?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott, my husband and I will be on the QM2 on July 2, 2005. Our 2 daughters ages 14 and 12 will be away at summer camp. We'll just take the train from Ct down to Grand Central (1 hour) and then a cab to the pier. Will travel light. Last year we did the Seabourn Pride, also no kids and a trip to nowhere. Bid difference than flying a day before, staying in a hotel and paying for 4. Too bad I have read a lot of bad reviews about the QM2. See you on board.

I too have read the negatives, but I honestly can't see why some people say "worst cruise ever" or "will never sail QM2 again." If it weren't for the awesome time and the amazing vessel herself, there would be no way I would be spending the money on another QM2 voyage just three months later. I think most of the complaints come from those who were not in the Princess or Queen categories. I was a Q5 and reserved the same suite for this trip. I've been on other cruise lines and I can definately say there are worse out there. You're going to have a wonderful time. The only downfall is it's only 3 days!

I too have read the negatives, but I honestly can't see why some people say "worst cruise ever" or "will never sail QM2 again." If it weren't for the awesome time and the amazing vessel herself, there would be no way I would be spending the money on another QM2 voyage just three months later. I think most of the complaints come from those who were not in the Princess or Queen categories. I was a Q5 and reserved the same suite for this trip. I've been on other cruise lines and I can definately say there are worse out there. You're going to have a wonderful time. The only downfall is it's only 3 days!

Hi Scott, unfortunately we don't have Queens or Princess Grill. We are booked on Deck 11 category B2. I do have, however, clear balcony. Just being on a beautiful ship alone with my husband (no teenagers talking about boys all the time) will be worth it. And I love crusing out of NY. Is there a roll call for this voyage?

• 1 month later...

HELP! We are going on this cruise this year and need to know if any of you booked a tour of NYC after? When I talked to Cunard, they said you could only do this once on board, but I have a group of 12 that I need to book prior to us getting onboard.

Also, do any of you have any idea of how to get back to Newark airport after the trip? Cunard tells me I can't do this until after I get on either...I just can't believe that. Any other "normal" cruise line gives you BOTH options before you cruise. A bit of disappointment there, but otherwise I'm anxious to get onboard. Thanks for your help!

Paul, since it's a quickie, I plan on turning my luggage over to the port authority upon arrival BUT when it's time to disembark, I'm going to sign up for priority disembarkment. That's where you tell the pursers office you are going to be carrying your luggage off the ship yourself. You then get to leave the ship before anyone else. If I was carrying multiple bags I would never do it, because you don't get any help.

Archived