Best way to get from ship to Los Peines Pier?

Deluzy

Hi all!

There are 6 of us taking the OceanFriendly whale watching excursion. From what I understand, the ship will dock at 7:30 (ship time) which looks like that will actually be 8:30 PV time.

Since we are supposed to be at Los Peines at 8:30 (tour leaves at 9) - will there be taxis ready and waiting at the dock that can hold 6?

I know the tour said they will wait a few minutes for cruise passengers, but want to get over there asap.

Thanks!!

D

There will be taxis waiting, but unless you see a van that you can get immediately, don't wait around for one...just grab 2 taxis. It's a very short trip, about 1.1 miles, but traffic can slow it down. You need 20 pesos /person (I think that's what we paid) to enter the Los Peines area...unless your excursion provider tells you otherwise. I think they'll take dollars, but again, ask the excursion company. Also, I would suggest that you have where you want to go (Los Peines) written on a piece of paper to show the taxi driver...that's what we did last month. Have fun!

There are white "federal" taxis located on the port property. Most are vehicles that can haul 6 or more people. They charge per person and I would expect to pay about $3 USD per person for this short trip.

The web site, with reporting instructions for your tour, is at - http://www.oceanfriendly.com/_After_Booking_Info/_after_booking_info.html

Note the requirement to pay the $20 peso, per person, entry fee to the Los Peines Marina Pier area. Since you are short on time, I suggest you have the $120 pesos ready when you arrive. If you plan on using USD's, be prepared to pay $12 for your group as the guy/gal at the gate is no math wiz and will only offer a 10-to-1 exchange rate (at today's rate, $120 pesos is roughly $9.45 USD's).

The "federal" taxi that took you from the port is only licensed to pick up passengers at either the port or airport. Yellow "city" taxis service the rest of the Vallarta metro area. City taxis charge per cab ride with a maximum of 4 people in the cab. On your return to Los Peines, there may be taxis available in the immediate area. If not, it's an easy walk back to the port or on to the Marina Vallarta shopping/restaurant area.

City taxis, unlike the federal taxis, charge per ride in pesos. The rate from anywhere in the marina area to the port should be $50 or $60 pesos per cab ride. As with the Los Peines gate charge, the taxi driver isn't a math wiz and you should expect a 10-to-1 exchange rate if you pay in USD's.

Enjoy!

Archived