Ever feel left out?

Megalodon

I sailed alone with one of my kids this last August and read five books in a week. At one point I felt the need to get out of the cabin at night. Never have I felt so awkwardly alone! I was happy that out of five kids I have brought on cruises (teens and younger) he was the first to LOVE the kid's club, but I was ALONE. I tried to smile at a few people but I just wanted to crawl into a hole. I have never, ever had that feeling on a cruise before but it was awful. I have had tables where we essentially had an invisible wall up between us and the other couple, and tables where we were dying of laughter and became fast friends. I have had roll calls that really clicked and some that we're ghost towns. I have not noticed people bragging endlessly (as described below), though. Generally I tend to find an easier conversation with older people.

There are four of us who travel together (2 couples who have known each other 40+ yrs). We enjoy meeting others onboard and typically ask for a table of 8 or 10. We SPECIFICALLY ask not to have a table of 6 as that is just too uncomfortable generally for the other couple, as they can feel like a 5th wheel all week even though we go out of our way to include them and make them feel welcome.

We always tell our agent that if he can't get us a table of 8 or 10 then we'd prefer a table with just the 4 of us.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It's nice to know i'm not alone (didn't figure i was), but i also love some of the advice. I try to talk to other people, but generally as individuals - what a great idea to ask a group about how they know each other and about their travels.

I've joined my roll call for my next cruise and intend to go to the CC party we are having. I'm going to take everyone's advice and try, yet again, to fit in with the groups of people i am traveling/eating/playing with.

But I just have to re-iterate, fitting in might make the vacation more memorable, but i do not need their acceptance to have a great cruise. I am perfectly capable of entertaining myself. :) Just looking for a little balance.

What i have found, is that you have to be willing to put yourself out there. This can be as simple as asking a group of people if you can join them. The more outgoing and fun i am tends to determine how much people want to hang around me on cruises. On my second cruise i found myself having a slumber party in my room with two guests sleeping over in our stateroom.

I'm sorry you and your wife have felt left out. The trick is to see about getting on a roll call, and if that option isn't available it just comes down to your personality. People are often more comfortable bonding with you, if you open yourself up to that. This is all just my opinion, i hope it helps in some way.

Maybe it's your aftershave?:eek: Seriously, though, like others have said, sometimes you "click" with other people, sometimes you don't. Don't take it personally (we don't when it doesn't happen). No doubt that with 2,000 to 3,000 people on the ship, if you could meet them all, you'd most likely make several new friends. But on a typical 7 day cruise, there's no way you could possibly meet and get to know everyone.

Maybe it's your aftershave. if you have the same problem outside of the ship that could be a very good point. i have been around people who's ( ladies or mens ) cologne or aftershave almost overwhelm me. i put a distance between myself and them just so i can breath. it sounds like you are trying too interact and something just isnt clicking. going to the meet and greet if there is one for your cruise is a great idea too meet up with others on the ship.

2 pieces od advice:

1. The more you get involved, the better chance you have of interacting and meeting people with the same interests. If that doesn't work;

2. Drink heavily - drunks always love to get together with each other regardless of whether they know each other

People are now bringing their 'text' language to the forums and for those of us who don't text, it takes us an age to read the messages they post. :sigh:

I've been using forums for 15-20 years now and I can tell you that using abbreviations has nothing to do with texting and was here long before cell phones became common. LOL and ROFLMA and many other phrases were not invented by kids texting. DH and DD and whoever else is dear to you is also an old term for boards and I can't recall ever seeing it used in texting since it's rather impersonal.

I find that those couples who 'being themselves" are the most pleasant to be with. It is usually pretty obvious if people are trying to impress others. Sometimes we are seated with people that make us dread going to dinner. Usually it is a mix. A large table of at least 8 increases the likelihood of meeting someone you enjoy talking to. I wouldn't worry about it anyway, if you enjoy your travel companion's company you will still have a great time. :D

Archived