What was your least favourite food on Celebrity?

flagger

Disclaimer: BIG Celebrity fan here. Love the value I percieve in the cruises I've taken and have booked. Live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where food is king. Used to be a caterer.

The food is o.k. to fairly good (anyone who knows our local restaurant critic, Michael Bauer, knows that this is higher praise than it sounds;) ). Fish is the most likely to suffer, and I did have to send back a pasta dish one night- dry, and sat out too long- the pasta actually started to harded again into dried pasta! :eek: But the waiter couldn't have been more apologetic, offering me ANYTHING because he felt bad. But overall, I never went hungry, had a few memorable meals, and REALLY enjoyed the dining experience. The cheese course in Ocean Liners is enough for me to live on!:D

Where I rate Celebrity food as excellent is compared to any other restaurant, hotel or cruise line that's putting out 2000 meals at a time. Even on my sacred Cunard, it's in the small grill restaurants that you get great food, where they're only cooking for a few hundred. Mass produced food is just that, and Celebrity does a great job within those limitations.

I really don't like the hot dogs at pool grill.When ever I travel I try the local beer and dogs Celebrity's to me are some of the worest I've had,but my wife loves them.Next cruise I'll try some wasabi on them to spice 'em up a bit

I will start by saying almost all of the food on Celebrity is pretty good to very good. But for this question... I will have to vote for the room service chocolate chip cookies. I love chocolate chip cookies of all varieties, but the room service CCCs were just awful. I thought it was a fluke the first time I tried one, so I ordered again a few days later. It was just as bad. Oh well... I know to avoid it in the future.

I'm with Kelly. The room service chocolate chip cookies are dreadful. Very dry and floury. Not then end of the world. As another poster said, Celebrity does very well within the limitations of mass produced food. I have always been able to find something tasty if the first thing I tried was not good.

Linda

You know, it varies from ship to ship...IMHO!!! Had GREAT hake on Mercury several years ago....it was terrible on Galaxy. Had GREAT lobster on Mercury, Millie, Galaxy, Century...it was so salty on Mercury this last trip. I think it all comes down to who the chef's are....just like at a restaurant!!! I just wish they would change/vary the menu somewhat even if it is just one entree!!!!! Love Celeb, but sick of the "same old, same old"!!!! We know the menu by heart!!! Love the eggs benedict in the DR!!! YUM!!!

I agree on the room service choco chip cookies. Ugh! I also have not found a fish dish on Celebrity that I like, but I make up for it with the beef which has always been great. Usually I don't eat much beef, but I am now very hesitant to order their fish. I usually skip the chicken on cruises.

I just read Rick's "green crud" post and remembered getting a good laugh out of it before. I did the same damn thing.

On our Mercury trip I really can not think of anything that I didn't like. That is not to say all the food was great, I might just have terrible taste.

catmand, I don't think you have bad taste. Everyone's taste is different. For example, Judy (above) did not like the fish and loved the beef. My view was the complete opposite. And we were on the same cruise!

But the chocolate chip cookies are awful. Period. If you like those, then you DO have bad taste :D

Linda

It was a sort of warm scallop mousse (appetizer) thing. It sat there on the plate, all pale and insipid looking and then it sort of wobbled a bit and then I took a spoonful. What a shame. Very light and fluffy and fishy ........... not good, not good at all.

I love scallop mouse, but your vivid description makes me reconsider!:D Talk about bringing prose to life!

Forgot about the Spa cuisine and sushi in my earlier "Food's o.k.," comments, and must say that I enjoyed both, esp. the salmon at the Aqua Spa- nice change of pace.

Okay, Host Andy's post about the carrot cake brought back some dry, tasteless memories of a piece of carrot cake I had on Mercury a couple of years ago. I adore carrot cake (usually), but this was just soooooooo dry and bland. It did stand out as BAD.:eek:

We beg to differ but that is what makes us all special. There was an overall sense for us of Eh? the entire cruise. .

But Flagger, you don't like much of anything! :D You had about 900 negative posts about Celebrity before you even took your first cruise! :rolleyes:

Allen

I did not like their chicken dishes. I can't remember the names of them, but tried more than one. There were too many bones and not worth the trouble.

That's a very good point! It's well-known that each chicken cooked by Celebrity has three times as many bones as normal chickens. I guess they must breed them that way just to annoy you. :rolleyes:

Allen

[quote name='raudacruise']. Sorry but 14 nights of breadsticks got a lot boring. RCL serves different breads every day. Why can't the sister lines do at least a little collaboration?[/QUOTE]

On all three of our Celebrity cruises, there were three or four different breads offered each evening. I have to admit, though, that I got hooked on the breadsticks in the Martini Bar and would have been perfectly happy to have them all 14 days on our Baltics trip. :)

Allen

[quote name='Ericknow32'][size=2]While I was onboard the Summit they offered frog legs. I did not try them but now I wish I had. Can someone who has tried them tell me if they found them enjoyable?

[/size][/QUOTE]

I always have the froglegs when they're offered. They're very tender and tasty. However, I grew up eating them and squirrel and rattlesnake when I was a kid. I also had cat and dog in Korea, but you probably don't want to hear about that.:eek:

Allen

[quote name='alpal1993']I would have to go for the Quail.Not that it tasted bad,but it was so tiny I felt so bad that I choose to eat it.I won't order it again.[/QUOTE]

We were in Charleston this past weekend for the Family Circle Cup women's tennis tournament and went to a restaurant where I had an appetizer with breast of quail, seared fois gras, and a poached quail egg. The breast of quail was about the size of a half dollar and the quail egg maybe the size of a quarter. Maybe they were baby quail, because my grandfather used to take me quail hunting when I was a kid, and they seemed like pretty good-sized birds, maybe the size of a bobwhite.

Allen

[quote name='cruising with marti'][b]Allen[/b]
[b]you mean to tell me that the Celebrity chickens have 3 times the bones as KFC? geeze:D [/b]
[b]Phil[/b][/QUOTE]

Yep! They do it just to tinkle-off picky eaters in the dining room.:eek:

Allen

[quote name='gkm']I tend to forget the foods that didn't "sparkle" for me. They have so many good things that I say why bother with the few things that didn't hit your palate right? I've never left the table when I wasn't happy with most everything. In other words, why nip-pic? Overall, the food on Celebrity is really good and enjoyable.

Garry[/QUOTE]

Garry: I love that quote "if it doesn't sparkle, I tend to forget it". With Celebrity food, I couldn't think of anything that did not sparkle & then I remembered the first day.

We got on the ship quite early so we had lunch before the sailaway. I chose some med-rare roast beef. This was my first celebrity cruise and I was so anxious to try the food. Well, I could not even cut it :eek: . Really! So, I just went back up and got another slice....the same thing. Well then I began to worry if I had made a mistake. It must have been a fluke because the entire time the cruise the food was very good. Whew! BTW--I liked the escargot so much, they served it every night without even asking for it. Can't wait to have it again.

Claudia

[quote name='ilovecruisincelebrity']i totally agree with you but i also have some other favorites like the chatau briand on the summit and the pizza upstairs in the Oceanview grill on the infinity[/QUOTE]

The Chateaubriand for two in the Normandie on the Summit was melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious! And the goat cheese souffle was most excellent!

Allen

The first day onboard, the buffet was actually fairly good, for a buffet. Then, I went back a couple of days later. Sad to say, the food on Infinitys buffet was just as awful as any other ship we've been on. I must have been very hungry the first day.The food in the dining room was fine, nothing special stands out. The food in the United States room was awesome, all of it.

I'll try anything at least once, so I tried the frog legs one night. Couldn't finish them. It just wasn't my cup of tea. It's not that Celebrity prepared them bad, I just didn't like the taste. That and the way everyone at the table looked at me while I took my first bite.
Andy

Archived