long time between drinks!

G'day all, for some reason i have this crazy idea of going on a cruise this year for my holidays.

Last time I cruised was on the Fairstar back in 1980-something! and that left me with the feeling that i had been trapped in a RSL club for 2 weeks! lol, ("do i sit by the bar today near the pokies, or near the bar by the pool?") hehe.

....anyway, so I'm looking for a 10-12 night cruise around May - August 2012 and have seen a few South Pacific as well as a cruise north to Port Douglas (ex Sydney) for 10 nights that looks good as well. I also like the NZ return cruise and the Syd - Fermantle cruise but as a solo traveller are out of my price range.

As mentioned above, I'm travelling solo, am 48y.o (gay) male that does mind a relaxed yet lively atmosphere and was wondering which type of cruise would be best.

cheers

Brett

Hi Brett, welcome to CC.

P&O have good cruises all year around to the Islands..check all the online Australian TA's for any specials.(we are not allowed to mention TA names on here)

Onboard they have meetings a few times each cruise for GLB'S, and would give you the chance to meet up with others for friendship if you are travelling on your own. or do your own thing if you want.

I love cruising, and things have changed since the old Fairstar days...(we had great times on her too...) Lot more families can afford to cruise now.

I am married, but often cruise on my own...I join in trivia etc, and am never lonely.

hope you find the cruise your after,

Kind regards, Lorraine :):)

Hi Brett, welcome to Cruise Critic. :) Check the prices of several different TAs - online TAs seem to have better prices. From time to time they have sale days or weeks where they often have extra On Board Credit and half-deposits. I hope you can soon find a cruise you can enjoy. Cruising is the best way to holiday!!! :D

Hi Brett, welcome to CC.

P&O have good cruises all year around to the Islands..check all the online Australian TA's for any specials.(we are not allowed to mention TA names on here)

Onboard they have meetings a few times each cruise for GLB'S, and would give you the chance to meet up with others for friendship if you are travelling on your own. or do your own thing if you want.

I love cruising, and things have changed since the old Fairstar days...(we had great times on her too...) Lot more families can afford to cruise now.

I am married, but often cruise on my own...I join in trivia etc, and am never lonely.

hope you find the cruise your after,

Kind regards, Lorraine :):)

G'day Lorraine, thanks for the reply, good to know about the GLB's meetings, I'm going solo so am looking online for some deals as we speak! there seems to be no shortage of TA's out there.

Oh well, with the wind in my (remaining) hair, its off to sea we go!

cheers

Brett

g'day all, thanks for your replies.

Ok we're moving quickly here, hehe, have been looking online and have found a deal for 9 night Stn Pacfic on the 'Pacific Pearl' in April.

Without mentioning any TA's have found one online that quote a single saver fare $1394 for inside Deck 5, $1471 for outside room with obstructed view deck 8/9 or $1501 for outside Deck 4.

Any thoughts!

cheers

g'day all, thanks for your replies.

Ok we're moving quickly here, hehe, have been looking online and have found a deal for 9 night Stn Pacfic on the 'Pacific Pearl' in April.

Without mentioning any TA's have found one online that quote a single saver fare $1394 for inside Deck 5, $1471 for outside room with obstructed view deck 8/9 or $1501 for outside Deck 4.

Any thoughts!

cheers

That's a great price for singles. :) I'd grab it. We paid 1400 odd each for twin cabin outside on Deck 9 last year and that was a good price. We did get $200 OBC, too. Good luck.;)

Hey guys, I'm one click away from booking a 9 night trip on 'Pacific Pearl' 7 April 2012, outside room obstructed view 8 deck (life boat) $1471.00 plus a $75 OBC (single room). I phoned the TA to see what the OBC credit was worth and they quoted my $1800 for this cabin!

I was going to book the following trip on the 16th but there is no OBC.

Should i book it? (what a funny question to ask you guys haha) too late, have clicked, now am awaiting final confirmation!

cheers

Congratulations Brettus! You did it! :):):) Now you will have to see if there's a roll call already for your cruise, and, if not, start one. I would look for you but I have to go and pack. DH has already packed his and there is no room in it for my extras. Oh woe!

I've just seen the P&O website advertising the same price for a single room as was quoted on another TA website this morning, but when you go into P&O to book it online a message comes that you need to contact P&O, so I contacted P&O and was quoted a price $400.00 more for that booking!

The P&O Consultant also checked online and confirmed the price was the same I has seen and mumbled about 'old prices' and that the actual price was what she quoted.

I previously sent off a booking request with another TA this morning and have recieved an email that "we have received your booking request. A consultant will be in contact with you soon to confirm your selected cruise"

I'm still waiting for this TA to get back to me and hope that they can match what there website advertises.

Does this type of thing happen often, where even P&O's web/online price differs by a couple of hundred dollars when you speak to an consultant?

cheers

I've just seen the P&O website advertising the same price for a single room as was quoted on another TA website this morning, but when you go into P&O to book it online a message comes that you need to contact P&O, so I contacted P&O and was quoted a price $400.00 more for that booking!

The P&O Consultant also checked online and confirmed the price was the same I has seen and mumbled about 'old prices' and that the actual price was what she quoted.

I previously sent off a booking request with another TA this morning and have recieved an email that "we have received your booking request. A consultant will be in contact with you soon to confirm your selected cruise"

I'm still waiting for this TA to get back to me and hope that they can match what there website advertises.

Does this type of thing happen often, where even P&O's web/online price differs by a couple of hundred dollars when you speak to an consultant?

cheers

Hi Brett, there are a few TA's who do what is called Bait and Switch.:mad:

they advertise a really low price....when you contact them, they say Sorry they are all sold out at that price, but we have another cabin at a higher price. or the answer may be, we have not changed the net ad. our sold out specials.

Hope you get the cabin you want.

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

ok, i've had 3 replies so far from online TA's, yep sure enough the fare is no longer available ("well get it off your website then!" is my reply). Oh well will keep watching as i'm in no rush to book, if i miss out there are still plenty of other 'Plan B's" holiday ideas up my sleeve! hehe

ok, i've had 3 replies so far from online TA's, yep sure enough the fare is no longer available ("well get it off your website then!" is my reply). Oh well will keep watching as i'm in no rush to book, if i miss out there are still plenty of other 'Plan B's" holiday ideas up my sleeve! hehe

What consumer law says generally is that a business that advertises a product at a certain price has to have sufficient stock to satisfy anticpated demand for that product. If they only have a very limited number then they should say so up front...personally if you have reason to believe the T/a is behaving in a shady way...report them to consumer affairs or the relevant statutory body.

That way we make it fair for everyone.

Sue

Archived