Eclipse (Solstice Ships) -- Lawn Area Question

Shlomit

Haven't seen this question yet: besides simply sitting or sunning on the lawn area, what else is permitted? Are any areas of the lawn maintained for golf putting? While I suspect I can guess the answer (but hoping for the answer I want): is chipping (golf) permitted?

Haven't seen this question yet: besides simply sitting or sunning on the lawn area, what else is permitted? Are any areas of the lawn maintained for golf putting? While I suspect I can guess the answer (but hoping for the answer I want): is chipping (golf) permitted?

Hi Shlomit,

We were on the Solstice in mid-January.

The lawn is great, a nice place to hang out be it a day at sea, or in port.

We went up there to play Bocce Ball. And I think there are several other games you can find in the area as well... some sort of putting green, croquet, etc. I saw what looked like a bean-bag toss... but there was a sign that said it had to be played on the walkways / patios only (they have brick sort of walkways / patios). All in all, the place is well done, there is a large expanse of grass, and with the walkways, patios and chairs, it really does feel like someone's backyard (lol, although quite a big backyard).

There is also a decent bar up there that is overlooked by many - Sunset Bar at the back of the ship, overtop of the more known, popular Oceanview Bar (a staircase connects the two)

On some ships they have the Corning Hot Glass Show near the lawn, on others they've put in a Restaurant / Grill area (if memory serves me right it is called the Lawn Club Grill)

There are both quiet and busy areas up there... so just like everything else when it comes to Celebrity, something for everyone.

Enjoy !!

Cheers!

[ Haven't seen this question yet: besides simply sitting or sunning on the lawn area, what else is permitted? Are any areas of the lawn maintained for golf putting? While I suspect I can guess the answer (but hoping for the answer I want): is chipping (golf) permitted?

Below are a couple of my picture for these grass areas on the Solstice-type ships. It looks nice, but as I walked across these areas, these areas did not seem to be of the putting green quality level that a decent golfer would expect or need. NO! They would not want people chipping and taking out little divots in this grass. Maintaining this grass is not easy given the number of people on these ships, but the challenges of being at sea, all of the salt air around, etc. There was some bocce play happening at times. For more views and ideas on these Solstice-type ships, check out my live/blog noted and connected below.

Reactions and questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship.:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Below are a couple of my picture for these grass areas on the Solstice-type ships. It looks nice, but as I walked across these areas, these areas did not seem to be of the putting green quality level that a decent golfer would expect or need. NO! They would not want people chipping and taking out little divots in this grass. Maintaining this grass is not easy given the number of people on these ships, but the challenges of being at sea, all of the salt air around, etc. There was some bocce play happening at times. For more views and ideas on these Solstice-type ships, check out my live/blog noted and connected below.

Reactions and questions?

Terry, thanks. You pretty much answered my question with what I suspected would be the reply. :( Yes, the grass does appear to be a tad long for putting purposes (if it were shorter, it wouldn't be as nice to lie out on for sunning purposes). It also was my guess that they wouldn't want the divots and other scars that might come from chipping (especially given my short golf game right now).

I'll be with others on our Eclipse cruise (2/25-3/3) with whom I'll be golfing on Anguilla (we've got a ferry taking us from Marigot), and the next day on St. Kitts. I was at the driving range yesterday (in 34 degree temps and wind chills in the 20s), and my short game/chipping left much to be desired.

Terry, thanks. You pretty much answered my question with what I suspected would be the reply. :( Yes, the grass does appear to be a tad long for putting purposes (if it were shorter, it wouldn't be as nice to lie out on for sunning purposes). It also was my guess that they wouldn't want the divots and other scars that might come from chipping (especially given my short golf game right now). I'll be with others on our Eclipse cruise (2/25-3/3) with whom I'll be golfing on Anguilla (we've got a ferry taking us from Marigot), and the next day on St. Kitts. I was at the driving range yesterday (in 34 degree temps and wind chills in the 20s), and my short game/chipping left much to be desired.

Good luck with your golfing on Anguilla and St. Kitts. Sounds like better weather than what you had yesterday. Should be great fun in the Carib!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi All,

Re - Putting Green / Surface

Take a look at TLC OHIO's second photo (the one with the lovely ladies sunbathing).

This is one of the lawn areas seperate from the main centre portion of the ship (the bigger expanse) this is along the sides near one end of the ship (in this case, the rear... on the way to the Sunset Bar)

If you look carefully at that photo you can see the "markers" (small flag poles, without flags attached) for the putting holes... and the putters and gof balls laying off to the side near the decking.

As has been said, the "surface" isn't by any means Putting Green Golf Course ready... but it is good enough for a bit of fun in the sun in the middle of an Ocean / Sea.

Also as witnessed by the photos, a great place just to relax and unwind... we always found folks up there reading... nice and quite generally speaking.

Pretty awesome space actually, that Lawn atop the ship.

Cheers!

PS... As for Lawn Maintenance... that is ongoing. They replace sections of the lawn regularly (we saw that happening one day)... and as well there are fairly regularly signs up in various spot saying kindly to "Please Stay Off the Grass" (usually a small area each time) because "the lawn is resting"... we thought was a cute way of putting up notice about what obviously is a challenge of keeping things green and looking nice 24/7 every single week.

Take a look at TLC OHIO's second photo (the one with the lovely ladies sunbathing). If you look carefully at that photo you can see the "markers" (small flag poles, without flags attached) for the putting holes... and the putters and gof balls laying off to the side near the decking.

there are often enough signs up in various spot saying kindly to "Please Stay Off the Grass" (usually a small area each time) because "the lawn is resting"... we thought was a cute way of putting what obviously is a challenge of keeping things green and looking nice 24/7 every single week.

Great eye by Sloop-JohnB. Yes, those hole markers do show there and now I kind of remember seeing some putters and golf balls being around there. But coming from the hometown of Jack Nicklaus, there's no doubt that the putting surface quality is rather limited. Fine for casual "puttering" around. Not real serious practice.

They had a putting competition while we were on board but the grass is really too long for accrate putting. It is more of a hail mary putt in long grass and accuracy is out of the question. There is no chipping on the grass. The holes for putting are on the starboard side of the ship on the rear lawn. The putting was well attended and we had about 20-30 people attend each one. I went to two of them.

They had a putting competition while we were on board but the grass is really too long for accrate putting. It is more of a hail mary putt in long grass and accuracy is out of the question. There is no chipping on the grass. The holes for putting are on the starboard side of the ship on the rear lawn. The putting was well attended and we had about 20-30 people attend each one. I went to two of them.

Hmm... I suppose I could get creative, and use my sand wedge or pitching wedge to putt -- thereby sneaking in some chipping practice at the same time. :rolleyes:

TO KAMPINGURU,

On our sailing this was one of the "Crew" vs "Guests" events... sadly, with soooo much going on on these HUGE Ships, it was just another event that we never got to.

Lol, as they say... Just another reason to sail Celebrity again.

Cheers!

Last time I was on the Eclipse they were putting down new sod. They had the lawn area closed of for 2 or 3 days. It was interesting to watch. Here's a photo.

I'm hoping it's been a while since you've been on the Eclipse, and that the newly-laid sod has been in place for a while. Given all the environmental considerations, as already noted, I'm sure that, in the long run, it's easier and less expensive for them to simply schedule wholesale replacement of the turf at given intervals.

Archived