Hawaii

Hi.

My husband and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and would like to cruise the Hawaiian Islands. And now that NCL offers a cruise of the islands with out having to go to a foreign port we are considering NCL. Could someone tell me the good, bad and ugly of NCL?? I've never cruised with them before.

Thanks!!

We took the NCL (star?) in 2002 when you had to go to fanning island. It was really a nice cruise. Now that you don't have to leave the US you will certainly get more time in port. It's a really beautiful place, only second to alaska

NCL Hawaii inter island cruises are starting July 4th so, if you are not in a rush, would be great to check back once people start posting reviews on that particular ship & itinerary.

Reviews for each ship, and even week-to-week conditions, seems to vary so IMHO that would give you the most up-to-date info.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Momtobradley, My hubby & I are considering a Hawaii trip on NCL also for the same reason. We have sailled the Caribbean 5x with Royal Caribbean. We were on one NCL in 2000. It was the Norway, which I believe is still out of service after a tragic fire in the engine room last year. I cannot make a "fair" comparison between NCL & Royal based on that experience because Norway was such an old ship, Grand in its own way but...nothing as impressive as the newer designs with their grand 8 story entrances. I hope to read more about the POA in the coming months as people post their experiences.

My husband and I are booked on the Pride of Aloha for our 10th Anniversary. We leave on Oct 31st. Renewing our vows on Kauai on Nov 1st!

SS Independance 6/1988

SS Independance 11/1994

SS Independance 5/1998

Ecstacy 11/2001

Pride of Aloha 10/2004

Pride of Aloha here we come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;31;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

WE recently cruised with the NCL Star (4/18/04). Our cruise was completely within the Hawaiian Islands because the Star had a problem with one of its engines and had to eliminate the Fanning Island portion of its itinerary. The result for us--and some of the other April, 2004 Star cruises--was having all 7 days in Hawaii. Two additional ports were added, one on the Big Island and one on Maui, and we "lost" one sea day. For us this was a big plus. We have posted a review of the cruise--actually posted two "halves"--on this board. You might want to look those over to see what an all Hawaii cruise would be like. We really enjoyed it! We took the cruise for our 25th Anniversary.

You won't be able to go on the Star, but the Pride of Aloha and/or the Pride of America (if/when it gets completed) should be great to cruise.

sassycassie

We are having a small ceremony on the beach at Kalapaki Bay near the Kauai Marriot. I decided not to go with the plan the cruise ship offers because they were very unresponsive in e-amil and would not give me any details ahead of time. Now I have a plan locked in for a better price on the beach. We will have a conch blow on arrival and the Hawaiian Wedding song sang by the pastor. Very traditional small barefoot ceremony on the beach with a lei exchange. Also comes with a champagne toast and photographs.

If you want more info send me a e-mail.

cheri@san.rr.com

this is who I went through for our ceremony in Kauai.

http://www.hawaiian.net/~heart2heart/

SS Independance 6/1988

SS Independance 11/1994

SS Independance 5/1998

Ecstacy 11/2001

Pride of Aloha 10/2004

Pride of Aloha here we come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;31;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Cruising the Hawaiian Islands is great. We took an NCL Star cruise two years ago and are taking another one this year. The thing we found was that the time was too short on the islands with the Fanning Island trip and that is why we jumped on the June 20 Repo cruise since it gives you two days on each island. I also suggest a pre or post stay of at least two or three days in Honolulu. Also, if you use NCL's Land and Sea program, they will provide you transportation from the ship to the hotel and hotel to airport. Much more conveinent.

The Star was a wonderful ship and the food, entertainment and activities were fine. We will be on the Pride of Aloha in three weeks and I will give you a report upon return.

The only problem with NCL is their customer Service. Things are fine unless you have a problem, then look out...you will be put on hold for endless time and/or your inquiries will be ignored (un-replied to). Also, not everything they put in their brochures is accurate. (even they admit it.)

But like I said, past those problems with NCL, their ships are wonderful.

Hey Jeconk -

Stop by the roll call again before sailing if you want to be part of the Cruise Critic meeting on our sailing. Someone is taking count so they can inform NCL and make arrangements.

Last I heard, we are planning a gathering so adults and children can meet each other, (perhaps during/after sail away), then another during kids club hours (out of respect for those traveling sans kids).

So far our count is over 50 CCers!!

Hope to see you there,

Tina

p-048.gifw-062.gif

• 9 years later...
Dear Momtobradley, My hubby & I are considering a Hawaii trip on NCL also for the same reason. We have sailled the Caribbean 5x with Royal Caribbean. We were on one NCL in 2000. It was the Norway, which I believe is still out of service after a tragic fire in the engine room last year. I cannot make a "fair" comparison between NCL & Royal based on that experience because Norway was such an old ship, Grand in its own way but...nothing as impressive as the newer designs with their grand 8 story entrances. I hope to read more about the POA in the coming months as people post their experiences.

wow hawaii

Hi.

My husband and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and would like to cruise the Hawaiian Islands. And now that NCL offers a cruise of the islands with out having to go to a foreign port we are considering NCL. Could someone tell me the good, bad and ugly of NCL?? I've never cruised with them before.

Thanks!!

The good - it's all good, the only bad is the long flight from and to the mainland. There is no ugly. We will be making our 3rd cruise at the end of January. We have found the POA a great way to see Hawaii. There is a variety of things to do and see on each island - unlike the Caribbean which we found most islands were much the same. Love the freestyle dinning, the service and food is on par with all other ships we have cruised. I think you will find this a great way to enjoy Hawaii.

DT

Archived