Balcony Cabin Grand Princess

Mia63

After much deliberation we have booked a BB grade cabin A506 which I'm assured is midship and 'high-up'. As this is our first cruise and I've had motion sickness all my life I was looking for the best position with a view to minimising the risk! What do you seasoned cruisers think- is this a good location? Has anyone stayed in this deck, in this sort of cabin( balcony) and could comment?

THanks

I'm lucky as I've never had problems with motion sickness, so I don't have problems cruising, but from what I've been told I believe you are in a good location being mid ship.

I always stay in balcony rooms, it should help you for sure... you can get fresh air and wont feel claustrophobic at all.

I have a friend that gets motion sick on small boats all the time, he went ona cruise last year and didnt have any problem at all so im sure you will do fine.

Good luck!

Just off the Grand and my cruise partner was on for her first cruise. She is very prone to motion sickness and used the Scopolomine patch for the entire time and was fine. We saw several people using it.

I have been on Aloha deck midship also on the Grand and was fine but I am a good sailor.

Sue

What is interesting my DH has motion sickness. Has a hard time going on any rides. Suffers thru Disney. When on on ship never had a problem. Then there is me. Who has never experienced motion sickness has sea sickness. I have used the patch. I find that if I take motion sickness pills at least 2 days prior to boarding and continue them on the cruise everyday, I am fine. I take the 24hour pill. That way I just add it to my night time routine. If they make me a little drowsy it helps me sleep just fine.

After much deliberation we have booked a BB grade cabin A506 which I'm assured is midship and 'high-up'. As this is our first cruise and I've had motion sickness all my life I was looking for the best position with a view to minimising the risk! What do you seasoned cruisers think- is this a good location? Has anyone stayed in this deck, in this sort of cabin( balcony) and could comment?

THanks

Aloha is deck number nine above the waterline, immediately below Lido deck where you'll find the swimming pools and buffet (Horizon Court).

Your cabin is midship.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ap/deck_plans/index.html

My wife also suffered from mal de mer. She had a not uncommon reaction to motion sickness meds that results in extreme drowsiness.

Fortunately, she had a positive outcome with ginger capsules. I forget how many she took per day, but it was about three or four. The key is to start them a few days before sailing.

Some folks use the "patch". I asked a pharmacist the difference between the patch and pills. She replied that the only difference is the delivery system. Results are the same.

Try the ginger caps. If they don't work for you, the ship's store will have a seasick pill such as Bonine. The passenger service desk may also have them available.

My DH and I have always booked the Aloha deck with a balcony, no matter what ship. (A few cruise ago we were in A504). Having a rather "sensitive" stomach I have never had any feeling of sea sickness distress, no matter what the sea condiditons were while in this location. I do take Bonine the night before my cruise as well as the morning of...never had to take any more after that . I am sure that you will truly enjoy this cabin and it's location on the ship. Enjoy !!!

THanks

We had a rocky evening on the Grand. Many people, including myself, left the dining room feeling sick. I went back to my midship balcony cabin on the Baja deck and was feeling better in no time, well enough to order room service.

You should be fine midship, but take some Dramamine or Bonine since most of the dining rooms are at the back of the ship. The only time we had alot of motion on a large ship was that one night on the Grand in the British Isles.

It's very difficult for someone to determine whether one ship experiences more motion than another as there are so many variables: wave height and direction, wind speed and direction, ship speed and direction, etc. All of these affect the ship's motion.

To be honest, if it were me and if I was affected by motion sickness, I'd book a BB towards the aft on Caribe deck. The location on the deck won't make that much difference as the engines are towards the aft (think of a speedboat and where the most motion would be) but being two decks below would make a much greater difference. Plus, the balcony on Caribe is much larger and is half-covered, half-uncovered. :) Just a thought.

If I may just add my .02, for what it is worth. The inner ear is usually the culprit in motion sickness. I have found that my inner ear is extremely sensitive to changes in movement. The funny thing is, we own a boat and I NEVER get sick aboard our 26 foot motor boat, but the moment I step aboard a great big ocean going vessel I feel queasy! Go figure! I have discovered that it takes my body 2 days to "get my sea legs". If I do nothing, I suffer a bit and, 2 days later I am good as new. it took a few cruises for me to have that "AHA" moment. I don't like to feel awful for 2 days. I miss too much! I've tried the ginger capsules and the ginger candy and I was still queasy those first 2 days. This last cruise I was proactive. I began taking Bonine 2 days before the cruise and I bought a pair of acupressure wrist bands and put those on the night before we boarded. Success! I never felt sick one moment. After the 2nd day, I removed the wrist bands and stopped the Bonine. Was it the Bonine? Was it the Acuppressure bands? A combination of the two? I don't know...but it worked for me so I will continue this regimen, even if it is overkill!

If you are an alcohol drinker, you may want to ask your doctor how the patch might interact with the alcohol.

You will have a great trip! Enjoy!!

Archived