Would the incident on the Dawn make you NOT want to cruise again?

M.S JAZO

With all talk of the NCL Dawn, and it has been news, Since it has followed the choosing of the Pope. I have seen that many passengers have said they would never cruise again. I find that hard to believe espically if you are a experianced cruiser. The fact the "freak wave" hit the ship does not mean your cruising experiance has been destroyed for life, Some passengers in interviews with news stations have said that this has left in shock for there entire life. I find that to be a bit too much, However, My question, Would you never cruise again if such a thing would happen on your cruise?

I for one would continue to cruise. Things happen, No one was seriously hurt, Its just another chapter in your cruise vacation.

Well. . . I wasn't there so hard to walk in their shoes, but I don't think it would stop me from cruising. Might be a little apprehensive for a while. But everyone reacts differently to situations. I know my sister would never set foot on a ship again.

My question, Would you never cruise again if such a thing would happen on your cruise?

I for one would continue to cruise. Things happen, No one was seriously hurt, Its just another chapter in your cruise vacation.

Of course I would cruise again ... in fact, I'd probably cruise ASAP since I would have gotten a free cruise out of the deal! :)

Part of what makes cruising so wonderful for me is that the unexpected is bound to happen at some point in the voyage. I don't think any of these passengers were ever in any serious danger. Sure a few people suffered minor injuries, but that was in no way the fault of NCL. It was just Mother Nature.

I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion because people are getting their "Law Suit face" on. It's just the nature of our society ... sadly.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wouldn't stop me. Going around South America in March we had 50 foot waves and up to 80MPH winds for 3 days and couldn't get to the Falklands, the Horn or Antarctica. There were some broken pipes and flooded rooms. It was a challange getting around the ship, the captain said one hand is for you and one if for the ship. Some people got sick, there were a lot of broken dishes but except for the disappointment of not getting to some of the ports it was a great adventure, I would do it again in a minute.

I think it is getting blown way out of proportion. It was an accident- a FREAK wave. This happened to one ship one time. How many other ships have safely sailed in the past year? And its not like people were killed or the ship capsized or anything of the like. I would certainly be cruising again.

With all talk of the NCL Dawn, and it has been news, Since it has followed the choosing of the Pope. I have seen that many passengers have said they would never cruise again. I find that hard to believe espically if you are a experianced cruiser. The fact the "freak wave" hit the ship does not mean your cruising experiance has been destroyed for life, Some passengers in interviews with news stations have said that this has left in shock for there entire life. I find that to be a bit too much, However, My question, Would you never cruise again if such a thing would happen on your cruise?

I'd cruise again for sure.

I watched all day today the accounts of passengers on the Dawn on the TV news channels. I think some of the people there overreacted which I think is too bad only because it could indeed keep others from sailing....much like the Norwalk Virus deal when that was such a thing a couple years ago.

From what I've seen and read, including a detailed summary of the incident in Cruise News Daily, they (NCL) were doing what they should have been doing under the circumstances and weather conditions. While having a window blown out in my cabin would indeed be a negative in the whole twirl of my cruise experience, I wouldn't rag on the cruise line like some of those people on TV did.

I've encountered some rough seas to be sure. Nothing that caused damage to the ship also to be sure. But this IS a ship in the ocean and, like missing a port because of unsafe tendering conditions, I'd .....well....understand.

I'm sorry for those people who were scared, especially the children. But think it unfair to condemn the cruise industry because of it.

Everyone got a 50% refund and a 50% off their next cruise deal. I think that's fair.

As Liner said: "sign me up". We watched a video of some newcast and you would have thought this was the ultimate cruise from hell, the "newsie" called this the vacation cruise that became a horror!

Also, as someone wrote, we were not there, I am sure it was spooky and frightening but never cruise again? I also think a lot of this is lawsueitis. I read some comment somewhere that was questioning the ship captain for "sailing into a storm."

I don't get it. When a plane goes down, do people say they will never fly again? When there are major pile ups on the highway do people say they will never drive again? Someone tell me what the difference is?

According to the reports, the ship was battling heavy seas for several hours,and there is no way to predict that rouge wave that just swelled up. This wave wasn't "out there" heading towards them,and the Captain did nothing to avoid it.As most of the people that have cruised several times can tell you,if there is any way to avoid bad weather, ships will do just that.

I've been through two emergency landings, been held at gunpoint in a foreign country by one of their officials, and it has never deterred me from traveling. I honestly think the complainers in this case are whining more about the discomfort of being in stormy seas than anything else. I'd even go so far as to say that I can guess the political leanings of those who complain versus those who look on this as one of life's little curveballs. NCL has gone above and beyond the call of duty.

As my wife said,

Do people stop driving after a car accident?

Do people stop flying after an airplane crashes?

Do people stop playing sports after they get hurt?

Do people stop finding a new love after breaking up?

Give me a break, of course I would cruise again.

Ed

I would be like one of the other passengers interviewed. When asked if she would sail again she smiled and said that she had already booked another cruise.

Ron

I saw that interview to and I thought to myself, "go girl". Of course I would cruise again. I am very sorry for the inconvenience and it must have been a scary situation for the passengers but yes I would cruise in a heatbeat.

Marilyn

I just went over to the Norwegian board to read the thougths of the Cc'ers over there. Gosh the page 1 is literally taken up by threads on the Dawn. Some interesting reading.

Marilyn

Like I tell my children...If you have no rough waters in life to deal with, how will you ever know when the sailing is smooth, and be able to appreciate it..

I think personally it would have been Great Fun! We had a really bad storm once while on a cruise, and I thought it was the most exciting thing I had ever seen..Not sure if is was as bad as this one, but it sure was thrilling for me...so Yes, Sign Me Up!

Not true about the Captain knowing before hand...the wave was not like the sunammi wave that hit Asia....that was caused by an underground earthquake...which produced the giant wave...when a ship is in rough seas,she is riding them like a roller coaster. The wave goes up, so does the ship,the wave goes down,so does the ship...as the ship is on the down side of the wave, the next wave developes and there is no telling how high it will be...it is a matter of seconds that all this takes place. I served in the Navy on board Destroyers and have been in 40ft. seas.The waves literally crash down on you.

I'd go again in a heartbeat. In 96 we cruised right through hurricane Bertha. We thought it was a great adventure, despite being seasick for 24 hours. It never occured to us that we deserved some kind of a refund, even though we missed our last day in Bermuda.

Sign me up!

Whenever your in the water something can happen, it is called Mother Nature. We have a sailboat and one summer we got caught in the tail end of a Hurricane, we were tossed around like a tempest in a tea pot, our rudder snapped like a twig, we had to put out a Mayday to the coast guard. It was really scarry. We had our young kids with us were all in life jackets and it was a terrifying ordeal. As soon as the boat was repaired we we back out sailing. I feel very comfortable on a cruise ship its much bigger and while things can happen you just look at it as an adventure! Wow, and to get a free cruise out of it, I'm there!

Archived