Tour of Normandy Beach

pa2bch

I will be taking Uniworld's PARIS & EUROPEAN RIVER ROMANCE Cruise in September. Since the cruise ends in Paris, I would like to visit Normandy Beach. I understand it is 6 hours from Paris. Can anyone recommend a good tour company.

I just checked Mapquest, and it is a little over 3 hrs from Paris to St. Lo, which is one of the towns near the beaches. Go on line to Grayline France. They run all sorts of tours. We took a tour to Mount St. Michel, and it was an all day affair.

Hi pa2bch.

We did it on our own last year and had no problem, and we speak practically no French. I did check into taking a tour, but it's about a 3-4 hour drive each way from/to Paris and we were also wanting to go to Mont St. Michel. We didn't see the point in doing a tour to each on separate days. Just too much time spent on the road. The tours are ALL day affairs. So we decided to do it on our own and spend the night in Bayeux, which was a wonderful little town. I will tell you that there is A LOT to see in the area. We only spent one day there and it wasn't nearly enough, especially if D-Day and WWII interests you.

Regardless of which mode you choose to visit the area, it will be a heart tugging experience and give you a new appreciation for the sacrifices that were made there.

Good luck in planning your trip!! Safe travels.

Tim

One of the best private tours we have ever experienced was a WWII Normandy beaches tour.

Not sure if I can mention specific tour company names on Cruise Critic, but if you Google

WWII Normandy beach tours and overlord, you should be able to find them.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a tour of the American Landing Beaches and Cemetery with Eric from D Day Landing Tours; it was from Le Havre; you might Google, query him and see what accommodation he might have re transit to and from Paris (thinking they might cooperate or provide info to allow you to get there, meet them, do the tours, etc.). He's noted on this board, TripAdvisor and others with consistent great ratings. He will be very in-depth (more than my wife wanted, but right for me...) and you will leave with a real understanding of the invasion and its unfolding. Understand that the tour itself takes awhile; to see Utah and Omaha Beach plus Pont Du Hoc and the Cemetery will be a full day absent transit time to and from Paris. If it was me, I might consider an added night, staying in the Normandy area; you could do Mont St Michelle one afternoon, and then Normandy all the next day, etc. If you can do it, you will never forget the day. The Cemetery is moving, and the memorial at the Cemetery is a great work of architecture that adds to the solemnity of the site. Regards, Bob H

If specifically asked, you can recommend tours. We too used Overlord last year. They are in demand so book quickly. Our guide was wonderful. We were a group of 8. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

I am stalking these boards as we are considering a European River Cruise next year.

• 3 weeks later...

We had two small vans on a 2008 port stop in LeHavre. They picked us up there early in the morning, but came from Paris. The same company provided one van to Normandy while the rest of us went in another van to Mont St. Michel. Both were great and we used Best of France which has a "net" (not com) website. On the way back from MSM we stopped in lovely fishing town of Honfleur. Everyone loved it.

Whichever you select, look for certification either from France or TripAdvisor. Have fun.

I will be taking Uniworld's PARIS & EUROPEAN RIVER ROMANCE Cruise in September. Since the cruise ends in Paris, I would like to visit Normandy Beach. I understand it is 6 hours from Paris. Can anyone recommend a good tour company.

Archived