For anyone who has been to Bermuda with RCCL

My husband and I did the 5 day last year and were very happy with it. With the great transportation (bus and ferry) in Bermuda you can go everywhere in that time. On one trip we took the ferry to St. George and then bus back to Hamilton, and then the local ferry back to King's Wharf. What a lovely afternoon that was. (Morning spent at the Botanical Gardens and that was nice, too.)

We have booked another cruise (Sept.), 5 day again. You can do SO much in the time you have there.

Florida Cruisers:

Is there a lot to see and do in Bermuda while in port?

From the discussions I've read on the 'Bermuda Board', 2 days in Bermuda isn't nearly enough. :)

That said, we are going in August, VOS, and will pack as much as we can into 2 full days there.

abob:

On one trip we took the ferry to St. George and then bus back to Hamilton, and then the local ferry back to King's Wharf. What a lovely afternoon that was.

Can you really do that much in one afternoon?!? Maybe the island is smaller than I thought! :) Was it worth it seeing both towns, or would you recommend just visiting one or the other? :D

Personally I do not like what RCCL has done to the Bermuda Cruise. I went in 2001 and it was a 7 day cruise (1 1/2 days in Kings Warf and 1 1/2 in Hamilton). And I found that Kings Warf had nothing to offer. We ended up renting scooters and going to Hamilton and St. George the whole trip. Bermuda is just such a wonderful island I wish we could spend a whole week there , but because of how expensive the island is, it's more economical to do a cruise. The ideal itenary would be to do a 10 day to Bermuda with the concentration in Hamilton and St. George. Also another tip. Becareful when you book it because Bermuda can get quite chilly in the spring when we went in May it was in the mid to upper 60's and low 60's at night. If your looking for more tropical weather waiting till the summer or fall would be ideal.

Bermuda definitely has alot to offer. My husband and I went on the Empress of the Seas in 2003 and it was great. We were only there for 2 days and we could have stayed longer. I personally don't think it matters where the ship actually docks. The public buses are cheap and easy to use and I don't think you'll find a cleaner or safer island.

We cruised there last year, absolutely loved it. I think VOS berths in King's Wharf, we were berthed right in Hamilton (which I would prefer).

As one poster said, the bus system is great and efficient. The beaches are phenomenal. Horseshoe Bay Beach is absolutely spectacular. Hamilton is great for shoppers, but not with the usual suspects like Diamonds International, del Sol, etc., etc. We loved just walking around Hamilton. The whole island is just a lot different than the Caribbean ports. More civilized, the shopping experience is a lot more relaxed. Heck, the whole island is a lot more relaxed!

When I used to cruise to Bermuda we were there for 3.5 days. If anyone has ever experienced sailing into St. Georges, well, it looks as though the ship won't clear the rock cuts! St. George is by far my favorite "side" of the Island. It is very British and full of history. We would dock there for 1 day and 2.5 days in Hamilton. While it is very convenient to dock right in the middle of the hub of Hamilton I still perfer St. George and it's rolling countryside. I have done the sailing to Bermuda 4 times and I would not feel at all satisfied with only 2 days on the island.

Hi:

DH/I went to Bermuda in 2003 on Empress and we had a wonderful time. The transportation system (bus/ferry) is a great way to get around the island and it's not that expensive.

We docked in King's Wharf for 1.5 days and Hamilton for 1.5 days. King's Wharf is ok for a day but there's not much there to do/see. Hamilton is wonderful with lots of shops, restaurants, pubs, horse/carriage rides, history, parks, architecture, etc. Never made it to St. George but hoping to someday since I heard that it's beautiful.

Best time to go is during the summer months. We stopped there in late September last year (due to an itinerary change) and the water was chilly. Weather was beautiful (mid to upper 70's) so it was comfortable to walk around in.

If we plan on going to Bermuda again we may take Celebrity since it docks in St. George and it's a seven day cruise. Sad that RCI doesn't go there for seven days anymore.

Bermuda is beautiful and very safe. I would go back there in a second since there's so much to see and enjoy.

We went to Bermuda last year on Empress of the Seas, we just loved it, much cleaner and safer than the Caribbean. We felt that the 5 day cruise offered this year by RCL is just too short. Not enough time in Bermuda.

We have booked Celebrity for this year, it's a 7 day cruise and it docks at Hamilton and St. George.

We were mainly at Kings Wharf last year but with the wonderful transportation system it was easy to get around the island.

Two days in Bermuda isn't really long enough, but it's better than not going at all! St Georges and Hamilton are nicer than King's Wharf, but you can get anywhere on the island in about an hour with public transportation. Whatever you do, don't miss the beaches! They're fantastic!

Visited back in May 02 on the Nordic Empress (a reposition from Caribbean to NYC). Had a wonderful time with just 1.5 days in Kings Wharf & 1 day in Hamilton. Wish we had another day to enjoy what we couldn't fit in 2.5 days. I can't imagine just 1.5 days to see the sites and enjoy the beaches....We chose a 7 day W. Caribbean for my folks 50th this autumn instead of Bermuda, our first choice. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3556996# We're holding out for a 7 day (or longer) Voyager Class Ship in the future.

With that said, the island is clean, wonderful and plenty of different things to do (kayak, shopping, golf, beach & wed. summer street party). Look up Tobacco Bay for a nice little beach (locals favorite). Dress appropriately and stay to the left with the moped. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3556996#.

PS-First reply, I hope you enjoy.

We are booked on the Voyagers first cruise to Bermuda in just under 3 weeks time from New York. It is very interesting reading all of your comments, I am not really bothered that we are only there for two days - we have booked it to sample Bermuda seeing we have never been. If we like it, I'm sure we will, we can go longer next time. We fly to Disney World for two weeks after the cruise.

Paul

Archived