Jamaica Beach Question

SardisGrandma

I'm taking my 14 yr old gd on cruise this May. I'd like to know others opinions on the best beach we should go to. A little background; I already booked excursions on our other 2 ports & discovered I didnt leave any time for the beach so Jamaica is my only chance. This kid lives in a small town & hasnt ever seen a beach. I'm talking very very small. Actually she hasnt been anywhere. A few amusement parks but thats about it. She was in a terrible auto accident last year that she almost died from. Shes underwent months of rehab & although she is full of nuts & bolts & plates shes healed & no one would know to look at her. I want this trip to be fun. But zi want her to see there are other countries, people, cultures & wonderful things out there that she can have & be a part of.

So i want a beach with beautiful white sand, crystal clear turqoise water. Of course I dont want to be elbow to elbow with a crowd but I realuze it will be lots of ppl. I want her to see the water toys or use them if she wants. I can picture someone parasailing in the distance. I hear Doctors Cave Beach but I'm confused. They say a 5 mile stretch of white sand beach & in the same paragraph say its a small beach. What does everyone suggest?

Sunset beach is probably the safest one. Lots of theft and pick pockets at Doctors Cave. You have to be careful in Jamaica particularly if you're traveling alone with a child. Sunset may cost more but it's a private beach and all inclusive if I'm not mistaken.

Sunset beach is probably the safest one. Lots of theft and pick pockets at Doctors Cave. You have to be careful in Jamaica particularly if you're traveling alone with a child. Sunset may cost more but it's a private beach and all inclusive if I'm not mistaken.

Just wondering why do you have to be careful if your traveling alone with a child?

Is there a lot of kidnapping in Jamaica?

We have gone to Doctor's Cave Beach 3 times and never had a problem....other than lots of vendors selling things.

The beach is beautiful and clean. It is located on the Hip Strip and a block away from Margaritaville. Seems fairly safe to me.

Just take the same taxi company that they have at the pier and you will be fine.

The beach itself is not 5miles long it is a smallish beach area but worth it.

I don't have any pictures of the entire beach , but I do have photos showing how clear and gorgeous the water is and the white sand...Can't wait to go again this year!

Here are some pictures from last year when we were there:

2051957004_CruiseVacationMay2011129.jpg.5d2412c6232c95a8839e05c2ded65d70.jpg

1839305957_cruise2010May123.jpg.3e2f58b8fe3ebe111845f7ed45aa8bda.jpg

1580402664_cruise2010May091.jpg.1e684e9698ab6b729dc2a12331ff43e2.jpg

left my items unattended

Not suggesting that you leave your items unattended! Just saying that I am not even the smartest and have been fine. The port gets a bad wrap, but the only scary thing that's ever happened to me there was getting separated from my family the first time I was there. Lesson there: Never follow a vendor anywhere!

We're going to Mobay not Ochios. I havent looked at sunset. Will check it out. Thanks all

Hey there sweet lady, we went to Dr's Cave once and it was beautiful, but seemed crowded the day we were there. Since then, we have been to Sunset Beach Resort. It is actually a Resort for people to go and stay at, but they will sell cruisers day passes. It has several pools, and beaches, with loungers, showers, clean restrooms, lockers, and the food and drinks all go with the price. We normally eat at the outside grill, its not that great, but if you dry off and dress, you can go inside to a fairly nice buffet. I think it is about 50 dollars, but I haven't checked into it this year. I will attempt to attach a few picks, but, that will be iffy :p

1733672049_ConquestSisterCruise026.jpg.1512b15f11a2defafff42240b53eddc7.jpg

650310296_ConquestSisterCruise029.jpg.95b8f2085cf60932bfc193ae439aeebb.jpg

156881479_jccaribiancruise)171.jpg.cf5cf15c5cbcf7d07b87d1b83dbc8d1b.jpg

1183777975_jccaribiancruise)173.jpg.848b09c3b22d0cf054db32d1233e56c0.jpg

Just wondering why do you have to be careful if your traveling alone with a child?

Is there a lot of kidnapping in Jamaica?

No, sorry. That's not what I meant at all. I just know if I was a woman traveling with a young girl alone I would be more cautious than when I travel with my dh or adults only. I do find I'm more protective with my grands than I was with my own kids though. Maybe that happens with more age and life experiences?? :)

Last time we were at Drs. Cave, two people got ripped off and one had his wallet lifted out of his pocket while he was just sitting on the beach. We paid for their taxi back to the port because they had nothing. Another had stuff taken out of a beach bag. That, coupled with all the vendors made me think it might not be a good choice for the OP.

Nice pictures cruisedarling!

I'm taking my 14 yr old gd on cruise this May. I'd like to know others opinions on the best beach we should go to. A little background; I already booked excursions on our other 2 ports & discovered I didnt leave any time for the beach so Jamaica is my only chance. This kid lives in a small town & hasnt ever seen a beach. I'm talking very very small. Actually she hasnt been anywhere. A few amusement parks but thats about it. She was in a terrible auto accident last year that she almost died from. Shes underwent months of rehab & although she is full of nuts & bolts & plates shes healed & no one would know to look at her. I want this trip to be fun. But zi want her to see there are other countries, people, cultures & wonderful things out there that she can have & be a part of.

So i want a beach with beautiful white sand, crystal clear turqoise water. Of course I dont want to be elbow to elbow with a crowd but I realuze it will be lots of ppl. I want her to see the water toys or use them if she wants. I can picture someone parasailing in the distance. I hear Doctors Cave Beach but I'm confused. They say a 5 mile stretch of white sand beach & in the same paragraph say its a small beach. What does everyone suggest?

You can book Sunset Beach Resort through jamaicaforaday.com. It is $69 pp which includes round trip taxi service. They have one in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. We will be there in Feb 29 and looking forward to it. I read that the beach is rocky so you will need water shoes.

Archived