Tips for packing for/cruising with a 4 year old?

Mommy2twins+one

We are cruising in April on the Magic and it will be the first cruise for our son. I am just looking for any "must pack" items that the rest of you recommend. As well as any tips for cruising with a little one his age. Thanks in advance:) So glad we have a place like this to get cruising info!

I have found that bringing a personal dvd player with their favorite movies helps when they need that "down" time , especially if they are not "nap" kids, which mine weren't. Also, quite a few bathing suits in case they swim multiple times during the day, they don't have to put on a cold, wet bathing suit. You could also pack some of those disposable cups with lids for when they want to walk around the ship with something to drink. I always pack their medicine too, just in case of allergies or sickness. I do remember on my sons very first cruise he told my husband that he was "sea sick". My husbands response was "thats impossible, kids don't get sea sick, My son thought a moment, and said OOHHH, ok! and has been fine ever since lol. He was 7 at the time, so old enough to hear people talking about it and just assumed he was going to feel that way! Cruising is our favorite vacation! Have a great time :)

Juice boxes (usually the only time you can get juice for free is at breakfast), water wings or kiddie swim vest if he can't swim yet, a bag of toys, waterproof suntan spray, lots of extra clothes (in case of "accidents"),

If you're having dinner in the MDR, definitely do an early seating.

I think 4 year olds have access to Camp Carnival. Definitely use that-the kids love it, and it gets you some time alone with whoever else you're travelling with.

If I think of any more, I'll post again.

I'd bring an iPod, if you have one. Music and movies are good, plus it's the right size not to be adding more weight to your luggage and what you have to lug through the airports. I let my kids bring 1 quart ziploc of small toys for downtime in the cabin or on the plane. 1 or 2 favorite stuffies/blankets for sleeping.

I also bring several different kinds of meds (for adults AND kids) to cover my bases...Pepto, motion sickness pills (I got ginger altoids for the kids when they were smaller), ibprofen, benadryl and a cough/cold remedy as well. I figure I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and have to blow hours of my vacation time searching for it and spend a fortune if/when I do locate what I need.

My biggest advice would be just be prepared to go with the flow. Try to sneak in atleast an hour of downtime if you can during the day at some point. Camp Carnival is great, both my kids (and my nephew) have LOVED it thus far. Also, depending on what your bathing game plan is currently, be sure your child is used to showering (versus bathing). You could also budget for sending out some laundry during the course of your cruise (we do)...it cuts down on what you have to pack if you figure in being able to wear an article/outfit more than once. Plus we figure in a few tshirts that we normally purchase along the way as well.

Oh, and make your child's carry-on a backpack if you can. AND make him/her responsible for carrying it. It starts a good precedent for them as a future traveller, plus is just one less thing you have to find an extra arm for, LOL.

Hope that helps!

I'd like to add:

his favorite snacks such as goldfish, pretzels, crackers, etc. packed into small ziplock bags;

one or two books so you can read to him;

travels packs of laundry detergent so you can wash out swimsuits in the sink;

clothes pins to hang wet swimsuits to your laundry line in the shower or outside on chairs if you have a balcony;

all children's meds you currently use at home (just in case);

candied ginger in case he feels queasy at any time.

Our son was 4 when he went on his first cruise and is now almost 9 with several cruises behind him. We began sending him to CC at this age and he absolutely loved it. Plus, it gave us a couple of hours to ourselves each day.

If you have the space in your carry-on luggage, pack a "surprise bag" with new dollar store toys, activity books, crayons, small candy. It a lifesaver in case of delays on your flight or long waits at the terminal.

If you are flying, pack some big chewy bubble gum for the descent, adults are great at 'popping' their ears in descent but kids not so much. By the time they tell you their ears hurt, it's hard to fix. So as soon as you feel that descent has started (sometimes the capt even announces it), give him a BIG chunk of gum to chew on. All the chewing and swallowing will help his ears from hurting. Or you can get him to practise popping his ears now (close mouth, pinch nose and gently blow)

If he has any recurrent problems such as ear infections, get your pediatrician to prescribe an antibiotic that you can take with you just in case.

Super high SPF sunscreen ! When my daughter was 4 we went for a week to an AI. Their skin is way more sensitive than ours and she still got red with our SPF 30, especially right at the top of the cheeks under the eyes.

On one of our cruises, I made a travel diary on my home computer. I had it printed in color at Kinko's and spiral bound and laminated the covers. It had a page for every day starting the night before we left the house. I had circles to draw pictures and "word balloons" for quotes of the day. I had written "The funniest thing that happened today was: ______" or "The best thing I ate today was _____" or "Today was the first time I _____" . Before bed I would take out the diary and go over the day with my kids. We would fill in the spots, write the weather, write about what we did that day. You can leave spots for pictures and when you get home, place the pics for a great memory book. Cost pennies and was lots of fun.

Have a great time !!

Oh, and take a picture of his face the first time he sees the ship - kids don't imagine how big they are andmine were in awe !! Their eyes were as big as the ship !!! WOW !! :p

My four year old loved having room service in the AM so he could have the boxes of cereal and juice. We would order extras to have as snacks throughout the day.

The other thing is beach toys ... We bought ours at the cvs in Miami. They were cheap and came in a plastic bag. He used them in Cozumel, Belize and roatan and then we left them there so we did not have to fly home with them.

Jed also loved Camp Carnival. He only went on sea days, but loved it. He also loved e family comedy shows, the waterside, the movies on the big screen. Our family loved cruising so much we have booked our next cruise already.

But just like someone else said go with the flow. You cannot control stuff so laugh about it and have fun.

We take a small suitcase full of just toys. (one of those kid size ones) we like to have downtime in our cabin, reading on the balcony, etc. I don't want my precocious 4 year old to get bored. 7 days is a long time away from home.

We took my grand daughter at age four got her a small rolling suitcase for her carry on kept her swim suit and toys abd change of clothers for the first day we let her choose 4 things she wasted to put in it her doll her book her leapster and her blanket are what she choose. We also got childrens life jackets for both her and her brother till we were sure of her fear leval in the pool made her ware it there and on the beach at all times it just added to the eaze of watching them at the beach and they loved floating in the waves. She woukd have spent more time in cam carnival if we had let her and she cried all the way own the gangway on the last day thought id was her suitcas was to heavy but no out od the mouth of this presious child came what we were all thinking I dont want to leave the big ship. Have a great trip

Gail

You will find that quiet down time in the cabin will be very important. We loaded a few tv shows and movies on our iPad and the kids iPods. We brought goldfish , fruit snacks and small bags of chips.

We also brought arm floaters for the pool.... And water shoes!!

Catrin

we sailed with a 5 year old. we went to the meet and greet the first night at 5:30 we went to the family dance party at 8pm. We went and checked out the camp- she was thrilled.

We dropped her off the first morning at 10am--picked her up at 11:30. She did not want to go back. We read her the daily activity sheet every day. She did not want to go back.

We let her order off the adult menu- she loved the chilled soup= especially the strawberry soup. She ordered a banana split twice. (she was in heaven)

lots of kids use the hot tubs located in the mid ship area. We taught her before time-- she is not to go under water nor is that to swim in-- its to sit.

she attended every nightly show. Loved it--and made fun of the things those girls were wearing. (actually kept asking why they wore their underwear like that)

we did do down time-- and surprise-- took naps almost every day. We only stated we needed to lay there for an hour-- no books, no games, no tv. (guess she was bored and feel asleep-which made dinner much moe managable.

If she ate all her dinner we asked the waiter to send over the table magician which was a high light of her dinner meals. and she ate her whole dinner so she can see Sameer.

Ask the first night if your sailing will have a table magician

Archived