Cable Beach vs. Cabbage Beach?

bobbycruiser

Ok, so I have literally spent the past 3 hours watching videos, reading reviews and browsing this message board. And although I have found a lot of good info, I am still not sure what to do.

I will be in Nassau on Sunday, May 20th 2012, from 8am til 5pm (NCL Sky). Anyway, I have never been to the Bahamas and my best friend and I are looking for a fun beach environment for the least amount of money. So I think I have narrowed it down to cable Beach and Cabbage beach. In my honest opinion, Cabbage Beach looks more like our style, but we are both water FIENDS and need to be in the water as much as possible, ESPECIALLY when the water is as beautiful as it is in the Bahamas. And the cheap beach bar is a plus too at Cabbage:) But the only drawback is that supposedly the water is "super dangerous" at Cabbage Beach.

What I am asking for really is, what would you recommend for 2 mid 20's guys looking to have fun for the lowest price possible? Any info or advice would be MUCH appreciated:)

Ok, so I have literally spent the past 3 hours watching videos, reading reviews and browsing this message board. And although I have found a lot of good info, I am still not sure what to do.

I will be in Nassau on Sunday, May 20th 2012, from 8am til 5pm (NCL Sky). Anyway, I have never been to the Bahamas and my best friend and I are looking for a fun beach environment for the least amount of money. So I think I have narrowed it down to cable Beach and Cabbage beach. In my honest opinion, Cabbage Beach looks more like our style, but we are both water FIENDS and need to be in the water as much as possible, ESPECIALLY when the water is as beautiful as it is in the Bahamas. And the cheap beach bar is a plus too at Cabbage:) But the only drawback is that supposedly the water is "super dangerous" at Cabbage Beach.

What I am asking for really is, what would you recommend for 2 mid 20's guys looking to have fun for the lowest price possible? Any info or advice would be MUCH appreciated:)

If the beach is open when you are there.. you shouldn't have a problem and since you are going in May.. there's not many storms in the air.

As long as you know that the waves are strong and they will knock you down, and there is a deep step down at the tide line, you should be ok.

The problem is.. there are no lifeguards if you get into trouble.

is the water really THAT turbulent? I'm from NJ and we usually have pretty decent waves in the summer. And what i the atmosphere like at Cable Beach? would you say its a "party" atmosphere?

Cabbage Beach waters can run from rolling waves to heavy breakers.. depends on the weather. When we get winds from the north.. we get riptides. May is not a bad month for storms.

There's not much of a "party" atmosphere in May, if any it would be at Junkanoo Beach near downtown.

Cable Beach resorts (sheraton/Wyndham) are very family oriented.

I really do appreciate your insight. And i am completely jealous that you live there. haha. Well, i guess when we get off the ship, we can see how junkanoo beach is looking, and based on that, head over to cabbage beach. It's a short/fairly inexpensive ride from the port to cabbage beach right? sorry for my constant questions. im just an overplanner. haha

I really do appreciate your insight. And i am completely jealous that you live there. haha. Well, i guess when we get off the ship, we can see how junkanoo beach is looking, and based on that, head over to cabbage beach. It's a short/fairly inexpensive ride from the port to cabbage beach right? sorry for my constant questions. im just an overplanner. haha

You can make a good judgement based on the waves hitting the rocks around the lighthouse as you enter the harbour.

If you've got rolliing waves along the rocks and beach.. cabbage Beach should be fine. If you've got white caps and crashing waves on the rocks.. the beach will likely be closed at Cabbage Beach..

The taxi fare is $4pp to Cabbage Beach from the port using the shared vans.

.. it's a 10 minute walk to Junkanoo.

Archived