Renting vehicles in Aruba

Sandybeach64

We are going to be in Aruba in July on a cruise. I was thinking of either doing the ABC Jeep Tour (4 hours) or possibly renting a jeep(s) and touring the island ourselves. We have 6 people in our group. Does anyone have an recommendations for either way? Is it difficult/dangerous/confusing getting around Aruba? What about insurance? Thanks in advance for your help....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We are going to be in Aruba in July on a cruise. I was thinking of either doing the ABC Jeep Tour (4 hours) or possibly renting a jeep(s) and touring the island ourselves. We have 6 people in our group. Does anyone have an recommendations for either way? Is it difficult/dangerous/confusing getting around Aruba? What about insurance? Thanks in advance for your help....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
A couple of things to consider.

• Depending upon how long you are in port, the Jeep Tour is probably going to save time and avoid having to wait for pick up and drop off of the car rental, filling out the paperwork etc.
  • Do you wish to see the Natural Pool? If so, I HIGHLY suggest that you go with an organized tour. The road to drive there requires a 4 x 4 and is pretty difficult at best.
  • For first time visitors to Aruba I almost always suggest a guided tour so that you know WHAT you are seeing and the history or "story" behind it. For example, the ABC tour stops at Bushiribana Gold Mill Ruins, with a guided tour you will learn the history of the site. The same with the Ayo Rock formations. What are they comprised of, how did they get there?

Otherwise, if you choose to tour on your own, other than the natural pool, the island is easily navigable. Streets are not always well marked but there is only one main highway north to south and landmarks have pretty good directional signs. Roadway signs are international, there is no turn on red, but driving is on the right and you can use your U.S. driver's license.

The beach is easy to get to from the cruise terminal. You can take the public bus or a taxi.

If it is a long the way, and you are not drivers of your vehicle, I would ask ABC if they could just drop you off at your beach of choice at the end of your tour.

I agree with Arubalisa, with 6, I would definitely recommend an organized tour..........we rented a Jeep and found it quite difficult to navigate, especially when trying to find something specific (like the rock formations). Fortunately, you can always see that one mountain and you can kind of use that to keep your bearings! :D

Archived