Sorry for another DRF camera question

Lizard -n- Grits

Hello all,

I didn't want to hijack somebody else's question thread, but haven't found an answer to the following...

We are porting in Ocho Rios and doing the Dunns River Falls and Bamboo Beach Club excursion through Carnival.

We have a rather large digital camera (not water-proof) that we'd like to take along with us. There will be four of us and were thinking we could switch out...2 climb falls while other 2 climb stairs and take pictures then change positions. This way everyone gets to climb and we get plenty of pics.

Will this plan actually work out? Or will guides want to take our camera and takes pics themselves for tips? Or will they tell us we have to get a locker?

I don't want to have to leave camera behind, as we want as many photo memories as we can get without having to purchase them.

Thanks,

Kyle

I took a watertight backpack and took out the DSLR when needed. I could have climbed the whole way without it getting wet, but there is a chance and it's nice to have both hands free.

Make sure it's a legitimate dry bag and not some basic waterproof backpack.

I just got back and the guides carried whatever cameras people asked them to (even those that were not waterproof) and took pictures at various spots. There was also a guide who came along with us and taped the whole climb, puts it to music and sells it (i believe it was around $40).

The guides are working for tips regardless, so to me it seemed like taking pictures was just another part of brining people up the falls.

Enjoy it, we really had fun doing it!

Thanks for the replies.

All four of us want to climb, but I figured by alternating we can maximize our photos. I guess we'll make the final determination onsite.

Less than a week to go, we're so excited!!!

Kyle

The only potential flaw in your plan is that the standard ship excursion takes the group on one climb, then it is back on the bus and off you go; so each of you on your plan will climb 1/2 of the way . . .

If you DIY this visit you could climb as long and as many times as you wished and change out as often as you wanted . . .

I leave the expensive camera in the safe for this & get a disposable waterproof film camera for $10 and then process the film to an image file or just scan the prints. That's how I did this

drf9.jpg

btw in this shot the folks holding hands in the background are on a ship's excursion. We're DIY

drf8.jpg

ditto here - excursion on the left using the prepared path and holding hands while we're up the middle

drf7.jpg

{btw, I have an underwater camera for diving that I don't take to DRF because of the possibility of dropping it being much higher than on a dive boat}

Awesomeee, trekkies!! Ive so never even imagined doing the holding hand thing going up the falls. I prefer looking for the hardest place and figuring out a way up it there. Sometimes it ends not so well... but thats the whole fun of it :).

Glad to see you enjoyed the falls :)

up the middle!!!

drf5.jpg

drf4.jpg

I will admit that DD crashed and burned twice on this climb - I was the photg' but had climbed MANY times w/out guide and was the coach

first crash and burn was into an empty base pool - plenty of water so no harm no foul - but she fell a good 6 feet - NOW I'm worried about a head hit - not so when I went alone in 1986 . . . .

Second crash she was suddenly falling on to a guy's back as he's holding a very small baby . . OMG

I yelled and fortunately he was braced when DD came crashing down on his shoulders . . . baby never missed a breath!

Archived