Do You Book Your Next Cruise While On Board, or Gamble and See What Fares Do?

CactusGirly

Ok, I admit to being a bit of a "mileage whore," meaning that I try to maximize airline miles whenever possible for any significant purchases.

So, my question is: does anyone know if an airline website that also books cruises would qualify as a Travel Agent? In other words, if I were to put down a deposit onboard, would I be able to transfer it to one of the airline cruise booking services (miles, miles, miles!!)?

I plead "no contest" if anyone deems what I am asking as being too off the wall. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Ok, I admit to being a bit of a "mileage whore," meaning that I try to maximize airline miles whenever possible for any significant purchases.

So, my question is: does anyone know if an airline website that also books cruises would qualify as a Travel Agent? In other words, if I were to put down a deposit onboard, would I be able to transfer it to one of the airline cruise booking services (miles, miles, miles!!)?

I plead "no contest" if anyone deems what I am asking as being too off the wall. :rolleyes:

Thanks

HI CGYPSY,

By your location "Northeast" I assume you live in the USA and not Canada ?

Which is too bad, because you could certainly do this if you lived here and were a member of our AirMiles Program.

It works like an Airline Airmiles Program... but also is a general loyalty program that gives you purchases on just about everything imaginable....

And REWARDS that can be used for CA$H - Travel (Airlines, Rental Cars, Hotels, Cruises etc) - and hard merchandise.

They also have a Travel Agency as part of their service... so you can turn your accumulated AirMiles into Travel Rewards very easily... you pick what you want to do (and whoever you want to do it with) and they tell you how many miles you need... or turn your miles into cash against your purchase... you can even use them as a regular Travel Agent and pay in cash and earn more AirMiles.

Lol, great program... never really understood why it didn't catch on in the USA when it was introduced there.

We've had it here in Canada for like 20+ Years, and they say it is the Biggest Loyalty Program in the world, with most Canadians having such a card in their wallet.

For my 2012 Cruise, it paid all our Airfare for 2 (except for Fees & Taxes = $ 400), a cruise fare for one (except for Fees & Taxes = $ 100), and our Travel Insurance & AirMiles Insurance... cruise vacation cost us about half what we would have paid in cash (when you take into account the whole vacation... Transfers, Meals, Booze, Spending Money, Souvenirs etc)

Cannot say enough about this program... in my opinon ALL CANADIANS should look in their wallets and find out exactly what that little card can do !!

We've already been saving points like mad for our 2013 Cruise... don't really have to change our shopping habits much, just be aware of WHEN we need to remember to present the card !!

Cheers!

PS... Hopefully, someone can come up with a similar suggestion for you... and your situation. I agree there is nothing like getting something for FREE when you would have spent the money any how.

Thanks, eh.

I do live in the States but am Canuck by birth (and went to university up there -- Go Gaels!) and visit frequently so am familiar with Air Miles (and being asked for "my" card at Zellers, Shoppers, etc -- do they take it at even Tim Horton's?).

Perhaps the problem in the States is that with so many more airlines, it was like trying to herd cats to get them all to agree to any program (or have retailers get onboard with it).

Go Leafs (a girl can dream)!

Hi;

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and info.

Just one question, what do you mean by the TA OBC?

If I book a specific cruise on board, then I can transfer it to my TA?

Should I ask the TA if he offers any OBC or do I shop around to find a TA that does?

How long do I have before I can't transfer the booking anymore?

Hi;

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and info.

Just one question, what do you mean by the TA OBC?

If I book a specific cruise on board, then I can transfer it to my TA?

Should I ask the TA if he offers any OBC or do I shop around to find a TA that does?

How long do I have before I can't transfer the booking anymore?

Our TA typically offers an OBC in addition to/larger than the OBC that Celebrity offers, so that is why we book through them. You can transfer your booking to a TA if you book on-board, (at least that is my understanding - X-veterans may want to jump in here and provide more details), but there is a timeframe to do it in. You do need to shop around for a TA that offers good OBCs.

You have 60 days from the time you book to transfer booking to a TA using Celebrity's form.

OBC varies widely, so definitely shop around online. An online TA is great, as long as you can actually talk to a person on the phone and, most importantly, get a quick response (especially important if you want to catch price drops).

Archived