Simpson Bay Lagoon to Simpson Bay Beach

kcparrothead

From Skipjack to Toppers, all you have to do is cross the street.

To get to BBB, you have to cross the street and walk around the corner past Burger King, perhaps 10 - 15 minute stroll?

If you were referring to Topper's By the Sea, you'd have to continue past BBB up a fairly steep hill to get to the Flamingo Resort.

gary

Oh, let's say Skipjacks on the Lagoon to maybe Toppers or Buccaneer Beach Bar?

Although these establishments are in the Simpson Bay area,

Bucchaneer Beach Bar is actually on Kim Sha Beach. It is a cool beach bar especially fun at night when the fireball is all aglow but the restaurant/bar called Toppers by the Sea is just a resort bar nothing else IMO and it's actually much closer to a building at the Flamingo then to the sea.:)

Thanks, you two! I was wanting to check out Kim Sha Beach, too! Do you have any other beach bars or places on the lagoon to recommend?? I was also curious about the rum licquer at Toppers - do you know if it is any good?

The BBB is a fun place and the beach often holds large parties but it is not a very nice beach by St. Maarten standards. Simpson Bay beach on the other side of the lift bridge is a much nicer beach.

I'm afraid I can't help you out with Lagoon side bars or any rum ?'s. Before you head back to the ship you might like to stop off at Chesterfield's though. It is at Great Bay Marina and the walk to the ship from there is only 5 minutes or so. It's a restaurant/bar with a very yachyty feel and it's a good place for Happy Hour.

So even Kim Sha Beach isn't as nice as the west side of the bridge? Looks like we may go back to our original plan of visiting the two places on that side - Karakter & Mary's Boon. The Lagoon side looked really fun on the map I found with restaurants & bars lined up in a row! Maybe someone else can help? :)

So even Kim Sha Beach isn't as nice as the west side of the bridge? Looks like we may go back to our original plan of visiting the two places on that side - Karakter & Mary's Boon. The Lagoon side looked really fun on the map I found with restaurants & bars lined up in a row! Maybe someone else can help? :)

It's not even close to being as nice. We stayed at the Royal Palm resort in 2010 with our 3 teens for 11 days and we went to Kim Sha beach a 2 minute walk away, once. We went to Simpson Bay beach 4 times on that vacation. At night the lagoon side is really happening but I have not noticed it being really busy during the day. Last year we stayed at our time share for a week at the Flamingo and only went in that beach a couple of times. The resort and landscaping is pretty but the actual beach is only ok IMO. Car rentals are quite inexpensive and the island is safe ( in the hours that I am out now at least) making it a great island for people who don't like to sit in one spot. I hope you find what your looking for.:)

Most of Simpson Bay Beach is much nicer than the (smallish) beach at Kim Sha.

The lagoon side (and both Toppers) is really an evening event. That's when everything gets hopping.

I wonder what is drawing you to Mary's Boon?

Are you planning on spending an entire day, or just a couple hours catching some sun and some cold drinks, maybe a burger? If so, Kim Sha has water and beach and chairs and umbrellas.

We've spent some nice hours at BBB. It's easy to get to, even by public bus. Mary's Boon and Karakter, not so much.

gary

p.s. karysa, if you can get from Flamingo to Kim Sha in a 2 minute walk, then you should be in the Olympic Sprint. We've done that both by beach and by road, and it takes us a LOT longer than 2 minutes. 2 minutes might get us from the elevator to the (back) parking lot exit.

The lagoon side (and both Toppers) is really an evening event. That's when everything gets hopping.

Are you planning on spending an entire day, or just a couple hours catching some sun and some cold drinks, maybe a burger? If so, Kim Sha has water and beach and chairs and umbrellas.

We've spent some nice hours at BBB. It's easy to get to, even by public bus. Mary's Boon and Karakter, not so much.

gary

p.s. karysa, if you can get from Flamingo to Kim Sha in a 2 minute walk, then you should be in the Olympic Sprint. We've done that both by beach and by road, and it takes us a LOT longer than 2 minutes. 2 minutes might get us from the elevator to the (back) parking lot exit.

LOL, I think we established that I am a fast walker but yep that would be ridiculous! I said from the Royal Palm it took 2 minutes. That of course is by walking along the beach not the road. :)

gary

We were just looking for a nice place to hang out in the am before heading over to Maho. Last year we went to Orient then to Maho so I was hoping to find something a little different this year, near Maho. I'm looking for a little more than Mullet has to offer, but not the overwhelming bar after bar after bar, lounge chair after lounge chair that Orient had...:o

LOL, I think we established that I am a fast walker but yep that would be ridiculous! I said from the Royal Palm it took 2 minutes. That of course is by walking along the beach not the road. :)

Sorry, missed the transition from Flamingo to Royal Palm. :)

Even I could make that walk in 2 minutes (or so).

gary

• 1 year later...
But an evening at Buccaneers might be a challenge!

If your on cruise it definitely would be.

This past summer I found a way to avoid that hill. It involves going through a couple of the Nearby buildings and taking the stairs instead. It's not any faster but it is easier.

Are the buildings open at night?

They were around 10 pm when I took it to show DH my new route. I wouldn't do it late at night because it's a timeshare and folks might be sleeping. I would take the hill then. There is a sidewalk so don't worry about traffic.

Archived