Charles de Gaulle Airport to Paris

ILoveScotland

Hotel Gramont Opera - it seemed to be a moderate cost favorite on tripadvisor.

We stayed at Hotel Gramont in August of 2010--great little hotel--fabulous staff--short walk to 3 metro stations (Opera, le 4 Septembre, and Richelieu-Drouot---Opera has the best connections). You'll do well at the Gramont.

Enjoy Paris!

Kevin

Good Morning

I am very familiar with CDG airport as we live about 30 mins away near the beautiful medieval town of Senlis, and fabulous Chateau of Chantilly. I collect and drop off many of my UK relatives and friends when they come to visit us. My husband flies from there at least once a week and I use it (only if I really have to:) )

It is so tricky to estimate the time to allow for the check in and clearing security at the moment. It depends on type of check in you are using, amount of luggage you have, which terminal you are flying from, who is in front of you in any of the queues, how busy it is that day, any potential strike action etc etc

My last 2 sets of guests allowed 2.45 mins to fly to fly back to the UK from Terminal 2E, and both only made the plane with 5 mins to spare. They reported back that the queues were very long and very slow moving. They had all checked in online, had luggage to check in and were travelling on a Sunday.

On the other hand my husband checks in on line, only has hand luggage, uses frequent flyer fast track security queues (lucky him!) and seems to get through the whole procedure in about an hour. (He is a seat of the pants type of man though!!)

I am sure other people have had much smoother experiences but I thought it might be worth posting just in case.

I am the original poster of this question but have now changed my plans just a bit. I will still fly into CDG but then go to Bayeux for a couple of nights before going to Paris for a longer stay.

I've looked at the train schedules, and since you live nearby, maybe you can help me.

The train from CDG goes to Paris Nord RER, but I then have to transfer over to Paris St. Lazare. I will have about 50 minutes to do this.

Would you recommend a taxi? Or, do you know if there's a bus operated by one of the rail companies?

Eventually I'll find out when I book my ticket, but for now I'm just trying to figure out how this would work.

Thank you!

The train from CDG goes to Paris Nord RER, but I then have to transfer over to Paris St. Lazare. I will have about 50 minutes to do this.

You have 50 minutes to go from Paris Gare du Nord to Paris St Lazare, or from CDG to Paris St Lazare? If it's the latter, then I think the taxi is your best bet (and probably only bet, and still it's going to be very tight). If it's the former, you'll be fine using the metro.

You have 50 minutes to go from Paris Gare du Nord to Paris St Lazare, or from CDG to Paris St Lazare? If it's the latter, then I think the taxi is your best bet (and probably only bet, and still it's going to be very tight). If it's the former, you'll be fine using the metro.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've been looking at schedules again, and I could actually take a later train from St. Lazare to Bayeux that would allow me almost 2 hours to transfer. I'm still exploring options right now.

I will have gotten off an overnight flight from the US and will be tired. While I travel pretty light I'm having to pack for about 3 weeks (1 on land and 2,+ on sea), so I will still have one larger piece of luggage, a carry-on bag and a large purse. Given all of that, I don't think I want to try the metro but will take a taxi.

And, while I usually don't say this, there is a reality to my being an older woman traveling on my own. I'm fearless in many ways, but I'm also realistic (most of the time) about what I can and cannot do and being tired, managing luggage and taking the metro in a city I've only been in once for six hours is something I think I should not do.

Archived