Carnival Victory Review: A Great Week with a Few Bad Apples

bqkali

Did you do the martini tasting? If so can you tell me about it? How much and what were the sizes of the glasses? Thanks!

The martini tasting was 4 mini-martinis for $17. I don't know the exact measure of each martini, but I'd guess they were approximately half size, so essentially you're getting 2 martinis for $17 (compared to normal price of $8.95 each, or 2 for $17.90).

There were 8 martinis that qualified for the tasting options, you can pick any 4 of them. I went with my family and between the 4 of us, we sampled all 8 :)

Many of them (probably like 6 out of 8) were fruity and/or sweet, so this is not for you if you don't like sweet drinks! I liked the Chipotle one best, primarily because it was so different from anything I normally drink. However, it's worth noting that many of their martinis are made with flavored syrups (like what Starbucks would use in your coffee). I'm used to bartenders who, for example, would make a mango martini with mango liquer, rather than mango syrup. I think it makes a better martini, but in the long run, it was still fun for an evening.

• 2 weeks later...

It is best review I have read so far. Thanks a lot. Question: was it cold in stateroom and in a main dining room? We are going to have the same kind of stateroom as you did on April 1st sailing and I sensitive to cold, do not want carry extra close though.

It was also great to read your reviews of some hiking at the ports. We love to backpack at home (Colorado) and I was really wanting to try some hiking on this cruise too. Do you happen to have any pictures of the volcano or any other recommendations on where to hike? The volcano hike sounds AMAZING! Being 26, it was great to get a point of view from someone else my age who is also not a big partier (at least it didn't sound like you were). We love the comedy clubs, but are usually in bed by midnight. Thanks again for writing the review!

Sorry for the slow response - I do have some photos and will try and post them later tonight! The hike was a lot of fun, and a great way to get moving. Plus I'm not a beach girl so it was more fun for me to hike. There is also hiking in St. Lucia; when I return, I'll definitely plan on hiking the Pitons.

I'm not a partier at all. Most nights in bed at 11, with a wake-up call around 6:30 so we could be off the ship as soon as we docked.

It is best review I have read so far. Thanks a lot. Question: was it cold in stateroom and in a main dining room? We are going to have the same kind of stateroom as you did on April 1st sailing and I sensitive to cold, do not want carry extra close though.

We had control over the fan in our stateroom, so no problems with temperature in there. I was always warm in the dining rooms, but cool in some of the other areas (the comedy club comes to mind). I had a lightweight black cardigan that matched all my dinnerwear, so I was able to get away with one sweater to layer with over the entire week. Some nights I didn't need it at all, but I'm also always cold, so it was easy enough to pack and wear when needed.

• 3 months later...
Great review... I will be sailing the Victory for the 2nd time this March. The only thing I dislike now compared to last time (May 2010) is they took away an island, so we have 1 day at sea. This will be different for me I have never had a full day at sea. We will sea :) how it goes.

What island used to be on the itinerary?

• 3 months later...

OP nice balanced review:) We had considered the biobay can you expand on that experience a bit? Skipped it as not sure we were up to long kayak type excursion but i'd love to see the water at night.

I was a little disappointed Carnival canceled the Dominica stop, but it's still a great cruise. Take advantage of that sea day and make the most of those other five ports. Enjoy!

The boat ride back does bounce quite a bit due to the speed, but you won't be whipped around in an unsafe way. If you're concerned about a choppy ride, I've heard good things about Spencer Ambrose tours - and we left his boat in the dust, so I'm guessing it's a slower, smoother ride.

we did this itinerary and loved it but wish they'd switch it up every year for Dominica and Antigua too.

fyi, we used sonofman and spencer ambrose piloted our boat back to the ship (our boat had mechanical issues, glad to see the guides all work together...he kept ribbing our guide in good natured way that he was superman saving us lol). It was a much newer and faster one than we had on the way out. I have issues with my neck and didn't have any trouble.

Do you plan on adding any pictures? I love seeing the photographs that people take. It addds a different perspective to the trip.

I have pictures on my blog: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/newgirlintheair/2012/03/09/paradise-found-a-cruise-on-the-carnival-victory-part-1-puerto-rico/

OP nice balanced review:) We had considered the biobay can you expand on that experience a bit? Skipped it as not sure we were up to long kayak type excursion but i'd love to see the water at night.

I'd highly recommend the biobay - if you're not up for kayaking, there are also excursions by electric boat so you can still see the phenomenon. The kayaking isn't too hard if you've ever done it before, but it does take a little practice steering.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived