Outside photographer for Cruise Wedding?

chabre

Recently one of my clients told me that they are planning their wedding on a cruise ship and they want me to go with them to shoot the wedding. But I dont know if there is a "no outside photographer" policy or something like that.

I know that in some big chain hotels, there is a fee if the brides wants to hire an outside photographer, but I dont know if on the cruise is the same or even if it is possible for me to go and shoot the wedding.

The idea of them is paying for my flight and cruise and my services fee. I dont know how much the cruiselines charge for photo package, but having cruised myself a couple times, I know that cruise photos are not cheap! And they would have not only the ceremony photos, but also photos of the entire cruise and all the high res photos on a CD, I think that the cruise packages doesnt include any digital photos?

So, before accepting to shoot their wedding, I wanted to know if I can. Any idea?

Jonathan

Most cruise lines forbid outside photography. It cuts into their profits on selling their photos. If you were to take the job you would probably have to pretend that you're just another guest who just happens to have a pro camera. You would also probably also have to stay out of the way of the cruise line's photographer. Having worked as a wedding photographers assistant, I don't see how you could shoot a wedding the way you normally would and still get the shots they no doubt expect you to get. You would be under suspicion if you left your seat during the ceremony and you would have to wait until their photographer is through before taking any posed shots. Also, unless you're willing to take a second photographer sort of position during things like the cake cutting and tosses, you'll probably have to re-stage these things to get the shot you want.

I have a pro in the family (the one who got me the job as his associates assistant) who is attending my wedding. I have already told him that he is to be in guest mode and while it's acceptable to take photos (and I want him to because he's good!) he is under no circumstances to give the cruise line the idea that he is a hired pro. Just don't want to open that particular can of worms.

I've also worked on sets of movies where we worked 12 hour days 6 days a week. That (if not more) is what you are signing up for if you're expected to shoot the whole cruise. I hope you're charging appropriately for that as, although you will get a free cruise, it will be all work.

I personally would turn this one down but that's me. I never was the photographer, just the assistant and I got my same wage no matter if the wedding was on a cruise ship or on a farm so take my opinion for what it is worth.

PS: most cruise lines charge $500-$1500USD for a CD with all the photos on it.

thanks Julie,

thats what I dont want, have to shadow the ships photographer, I dont like posing at all, and having to re-stage some moments of the wedding, that would be a NO NO for me.

The fee that some big resorts charge is exactly for that, that the local photographer wont be at the ceremony or party.

About that it would be a fulltime job during a whole week, you are right, I know it and the couple knows it, so I have that part covered.

I would love if anyone could share any more info on this

Thanks,

Jonathan

ps. Its going to sound strange, I worked some years ago as a Ships Photographer, but oddly enough in the six months I was working there, there wasnt any wedding onboard, so I am totally clueless about that.

Actually, some cruiselines (like Carnival) will allow the bride to sign a release that releases the cruise's photographer from their duties so they won't even be present. I've personally seen this happen twice.

Also I hope it's already in your contract, but if it's not you'll want to include a clause that you are bound by the rules and regulations of the venue. This was on the contract I signed for my photographer and she made this very clear to me. We are having a port wedding, though, so it doesn't really matter in the end. But, if she hires you knowing that this clause is in your contract and then someone from the cruise ship tells you to stop shooting you're covered. But from what I've personally observed several times, they don't stop people. I'm guessing they are so used to everyone having an uncle or cousin with a DSLR that they've just had to adjust to it.

You may want to ask the couple to view their contract with their cruise line. To the best of my knowledge, couples are required to sign one when they book their weddings with the rules and procedures laid out. This should give you your answer, although, jebuell is correct in that some lines like Carnival allow you to use your own photographer.

Also--photo packages with Carnival go from $500 up to $3000. You can purchase a CD starting at the $750 package, but you only get the images on disc that you've purchased prints of.

Have your bride negotiate if possible with RCCL - If you can have them sign a clause that allows you there you will be good to go. I'm a wedding photographer and I am getting married in St. Thomas via a cruise ship. (While in port) is it a port wedding? You should be good to go then? Also you could see if they wanted to do a first look, That way you can get all the pictures out of the way before the ceremony? Incase a photographer shows up, or they can't get the photographer taken out of their contract/agreement. I had to fight the Marriott down their a tiny bit too to make sure their photographer wouldn't show up. I didn't want to deal with mine and the resort photographer. So just talk to the couple see what they say and what they can get done. I have shot with some amazing uncle bobs that have taken me out during the ceremony, so you could also take that approach. Let us know what they say or the ship says.

Thanks! a lot of useful information, I will ask the bride if they already signed a contract and what it says, if not, it would be a really goog time to them to ask the cruise line what can be done.

Thanks again!

Archived