norfolk hotel

cruise junky joan

We drove from Charlotte to Norfolk a day early last October before we boarded the Horizon to Bermuda, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Select on Military Highway. It was very nice, had an on-site restaurant and was cheaper than the hotel across the street (the Marriott?) and was much newer. The Holiday Inn also let us park in their lot while we were gone (it was an 8-day cruise) at no charge, and they also provided a free shuttle from the hotel to the pier. On the return, the van driver dropped us off at our car and loaded our bags in the car for us. The Marriott (?) had no free parking, and didn't have a shuttle to the pier. It's about a 10-15 minute trip from the Holiday Inn to the pier.

Allen

I second the Marriott. We took the hotel package from Celebrity and spent 3 nights there. It was wonderful. They are just a couple of blocks up the street from the dock and you can walk to just about everything from there. There is a lot to see just in the immediate area and you can take the little water ferry across to the neighbouring areas. We loved it. I had a problem with the concierge there because I had called ahead and he told me not to worry that we could book tours when we arrived. As it turned out we couldn't get the tour because we hadn't booked ahead. I was really upset due to our limited time there. I complained to the manager and you wouldn't believe how they treated us. Gift amenities to the room, bottle of champagne his guest for lunch in the dining room and even had the chef come out and meet us to see that everything was OK. Then we were given the manager's card and told to call ahead if we were coming back so he could be sure we were treated well!!! Now that is what I call good PR!!!! Enjoy your time there. If you could get extra time I would certainly spend more that one day there - its a delightful city and area.

hi there! I live in the Norfolk area and can give you some great hotel suggestions ...

The cruise pier is in downtown Norfolk, at Nauticus Museum.

1. The following hotels are recommended and within walking distance (5 blocks or less) of the cruise pier:

a. The Norfolk Waterside Marriott is a very nice hotel, but very expensive. No parking or breakfast included in rate. Parking is $14/day.

b. The Downtown Norfolk Courtyard is new and nice. Again parking is not included in rate. HINT: Park at the MacArthur Center Mall lot across the street; it's chepaer than any other lot in downtown Norfolk.

c. The Norfolk Waterside Sheraton is also very nice. Limited parking available at the hotel (mandatory valet cost of $15/day). City lot with a max of $13/day is one block away, next to Dominion Bank Bldg (skyscraper on water to left of Sheraton).

NOTE: Skip the Norfolk Radisson! It is right on the fringe of a terrible neighborhood (parking lot is surrounded by 10 ft. tall fencing to keep thieves out).

All of the above hotels are in the downtown Norfolk area which is very nice. Lots to see and do. Great restaurants on Granby St (fastly becoming Norfolk's "restaurant row").

2. Other recommended hotels NOT in the downtown area:

a. Near the Norfolk Airport are:

(1) The Norfolk Airport Hilton. Nice. Free parking. Probably will let you keep your car in their lot for free while on your cruise.

(2) The Norfolk Airport Holiday Inn Select. I put my visiting business associates here (or the waterside Marriott). Free parking and breakfast. Can leave your car here for free while on the cruise.

(3) The Norfolk Airport Residence Inn (next door to Holiday Inn Select). Same benefits as next door.

NOTE: Stay away from the Norfolk DoubleTree. Although the hotel is lovely, it is located inside Military Circle Mall (yes, inside a shopping mall) that is troubled with gang activity (shootings in the parking lots approx. once per month; two bombs have gone off in the mall in the past 18 months).

Only drawback to this area is that it's not very pretty .. but Interstate access is 2 blocks away! CAUTIONL stay away from Military Circle Mall (about 2 miles down main street from hotels - lots of gang activity here.

b. If you're going to be in the area for 1-3 days before or after you cruise, consider the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. This is one huge metropolitan area, so Va Beach is right around the corner. There are several Courtyards, Holiday Inns and Radissons right on the ocean. A DoubleTree is 4 blocks from the water. Lots of other little family owned-hotels/motels. Travel time to cruise pier - 25 minutes.

By the way, there is a special cruise-only parking lot in downtown Norfolk (directions are in Celebrity booklet you get). Cost is $10/day. Free shuttle provided. Parking lot is patrolled.

Hope this info helps.

Happy Cruising! (we're leaving for Bermuda on the Horizon on 30 April!)

(2) The Norfolk Airport Holiday Inn Select. I put my visiting business associates here (or the waterside Marriott). Free parking and breakfast. Can leave your car here for free while on the cruise.

QUOTE]

And they also have a free shuttle to and from the pier.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone stayed at the clarion james Madison 3 blocks from the nauticus terminal. they have a package that is 1 night with transportation and parking during the duration of the cruise for 142. That seems pretty good. we are driving from NC and would like some input from more experienced folks...thanks

Tony

Stay at the Marriott. We stayed at the Sheraton across the street for one night and had serious plumbing problems. Sent someone to fix the hot water running from the cold water tap, but could not correct the problem. Discussed the problem with the front desk staff and after several minutes of negotiations, we did get the night free and then checked into the Marriott. Less expensive than the Sheraton. Good luck on your choice and have a good cruise.:)

Archived