Batibou Beach

bermuda triangle

After viewing pictures of this gorgeous beach I really want to go here, but I have some safety concerns after reading about 2 incidents that happened with tourists. I understand this beach is not frequently visited, but does anyone have experience of visiting here for a day as opposed to visiting as part of a tour?

Thanks,

Laura

Do you know that you are talking about a trip that could take close to 2 hours one way from Roseau?

On the northeast side of Dominica, in the Calibishie/Woodford Hill area, there have been some incidents involving tourists. However these incidents have been with overnight visitors, not daily visitors. The reason being that this area is simply to far away for anyone to make a day trip from Roseau. Should you be on one of the few cruises docking at Portsmouth, the northeast beaches would be an option.

You will not have a problem should you wish to visit these beaches with a guide. In this instance a guide would include a "taxi" driver paid for an all day trip.

I have visited solo without incident the beach to the north of Batibou. When swimming nothing was left on the beach because I was aware of these issues.

Do you know that you are talking about a trip that could take close to 2 hours one way from Roseau?

On the northeast side of Dominica, in the Calibishie/Woodford Hill area, there have been some incidents involving tourists. However these incidents have been with overnight visitors, not daily visitors. The reason being that this area is simply to far away for anyone to make a day trip from Roseau. Should you be on one of the few cruises docking at Portsmouth, the northeast beaches would be an option.

You will not have a problem should you wish to visit these beaches with a guide. In this instance a guide would include a "taxi" driver paid for an all day trip.

I have visited solo without incident the beach to the north of Batibou. When swimming nothing was left on the beach because I was aware of these issues.

Sorry I should have mentioned in orginal post. I am aware of the travel time, I have been to the island previously. When in port for 9 hrs, I think 1.5 hrs (each way) is doable travel time if the beach is worth it. Timewise it is no different than traveling between some ports and cities in Europe. So thank you, I am aware of the time.

I also have a friend who attended medical school on the island and lived there for a few years. He recommended making the trip as we've done Trafalgar falls and Mero beach previously.

By guide I was referring to prearranged tour guide vs. hiring taxi.

When was your last visit to the nearby beach? Was it Point Baptiste?

Thanks,

Laura

I was at Hodges Beach. You clearly know what you're doing. Go for it.

You need a set of eyes to keep track of valuables while enjoying the beach. It's reported that the road from the Pont Casse roundabout to Marigot (Melville Hall airport) is under construction. That is the reason for adding time to the trip.

I was at Hodges Beach. You clearly know what you're doing. Go for it.

You need a set of eyes to keep track of valuables while enjoying the beach. It's reported that the road from the Pont Casse roundabout to Marigot (Melville Hall airport) is under construction. That is the reason for adding time to the trip.

Thank you its always good to know about traffic! I'm a little leary as a young lady was sexually assaulted on Valentine's day. Maybe I'll pass on this trip. Its a shame, it can happen anywhere, but that is a little more serious than stuff stolen at the beach.

http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/all-news/crimepolice/no-breakthrough-in-french-tourist-attack/

Laura

Obviously been too long since I last checked the local news. I would like to say I'm surprised by that attack. I'm not.

For others that read this thread, this area is on the northeast side of Dominica. These crimes against tourists have been an issue in that area only.

The popular tourist sites are no where near this area of concern.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to report that yet another attack occurred at Batibou. Their rental car was stolen and used in an armed robbery of the credit union in Marigot. The police happened to be nearby and shots were exchanged. One suspect was hit and captured.

At this point, I would not recommend anyone try to visit the northeast coast of Dominica unless on an organized tour. This is the Marigot-Calibishie area. It clearly has gone beyond petty theft in that area.

The popular tourist sites are in the Roseau Valley which is on the other side of the island. I have never heard of an issue like this happening in or near Roseau.

Archived