Belize Zoo - anybody been there?

sweet angel

Would you give it a yay or nay?

Last time I was in Belize, we stayed at the tourist area where the tender docks. Would like to see a little more of the port, but haven't read much good. There's got to be something other than ruins to see? Not into tubing, snorkeling, ziplining, etc. Not opposed to hanging on a beach.

I really enjoyed the Belize Zoo. We went 4 years ago, on a combo tour with Altun Ha. The ruins were the original focus of the day, but I actually remember the zoo more fondly! It's really cute- located in natural surroundings with animal habitats integrated into the rainforest. It's all native Belizean animals, most of which were rescued at various points. It definitely isn't as big as an average American zoo, but it's done really well, and you can get MUCH closer to the animals than you usually can in the US.

When we went, there was a baby jaguar, and one of the zookeepers was outside his enclosure with us. The zookeeper called him, and we were able to pet him through the cage, as long as the keeper had his head. So cool! I also got to hold a boa constrictor across my shoulders.

Most of the private companies refund your money if your ship doesn't visit the port, but just check to be sure. I had actually been misinformed about whether our ship stayed on Eastern time, or changed the clocks to port time, so we were an hour later arriving than I told them I'd be. Because they knew my ship, they knew what time to expect me and were waiting right where they said they'd be.

• 2 months later...

I had read that the trails or walkways at the zoo were rough and that some elderly visitors turned back. I will have my daughter with me and she is hesitant to walk on uneven surfaces (it's a sensory thing with her autism). Were the walkways rocky/rough/hilly?

We have been there twice and loved it! It is much different from a zoo in the US. It is smaller and more rustic. All of the animals are native to Belize. The paths are not paved - they are dirt. I did not find anything rough or rocky. We are from age 4 to 63 - no one had a problem and everyone had a great time. I highly recommend it. We used a local at the dock.

I recall the same thing as cruisergrandma- it's been a while, but I feel like the paths are like really well-packed hiking paths in a park- so not paved, and would be difficult in a wheelchair or with most strollers, but not a problem at all on foot. The way the zoo is set up, it really feels like you're taking a walk in the woods- except that you're a whole lot more likely to see wildlife :). I'm not sure how uneven a path would have to be to cause problems for your daughter, but I'm guessing she'd probably be ok.

• 4 weeks later...
We have been there twice and loved it! It is much different from a zoo in the US. It is smaller and more rustic. All of the animals are native to Belize. The paths are not paved - they are dirt. I did not find anything rough or rocky. We are from age 4 to 63 - no one had a problem and everyone had a great time. I highly recommend it. We used a local at the dock.

So you just arranged this after arriving? How many in your tour group? How long was the ride to the zoo and how long were you at the zoo? Cost per person?

TIA

Archived