Just off Jewel OTS; forever to get on but what a great cruise!

As you may have read ...JOTS was delayed due to the Port of Tampa closing due to fog on Feb 18. We were called around 11 AM, unfortunately, had already headed to the pier. We were informed that boarding would not begin till 1:30-2 PM for VIP (Crown and Anchor members), other groups starting with group 1 around 2PM and every half hour there after. Each pax was given an OBC of $20, and told to return during their group time.

We returned after we saw Jewel finally pull into port from the Channelside mall at around 1:45 PM. We were very fortunate because they quickly ran out of seating in the terminal building and many folks we talked to in later groups were outside in the sun standing in line. They had to debark all the pax from the 4 night cruise and began boarding D+ and Pinnacle members after 5 PM. Dinner and staterooms were available as soon as we boarded. Luggage arrived fairly quickly for us. Muster drill was at 9:30 and we sailed away at 10 PM.

Because fog was predicted this AM, the captain docked us back in Tampa at 2:30 in the morning, so we could avoid the morning fog. CD Dennis Charles explained it had not been predicted n the 18th, so they were not able to prevent the delay.

Thats the facts as I experienced them...I'll have a detailed Jewel review with opinions:D when we return home in a few days. We had a fantastic time, but I felt badly for those folks stuck outside for so long, especially for those having their first cruise experience:( But safety first, there was not much they can do about that.

Sorry to hear about your delay and I am looking forward to reading your review and funny commentary when I get back from the Allure:D. (I'm just saying)....

Looking forward to writing it ! Already started with notes on my Ipad and Im soooo much better about thinking about what photos I need, even though they wont be near as good as DH"s photos! Have a great time on Allure, looking forward to your review!

Thanks for relating that. Looking at the map of the area, if it looks like its foggy we will make other arrangements and keep an eye on the pier as you did. Looking forward to the rest.

Bill, Id say the best advice is check in with your home phone messages, or change your contact phone to your cell. I had several emails too, but couudn't check in the car. I got the idea, if they are aware of the frecast they can plan ahead, but this time, it just didnt give them any warning:(

Glad you made the most of the situation and had a wonderful cruise, my friend! So jealous... :D

At the end of the day I kept reminding my kids (who were getting impatient) that at least we were going on vacation; all of the employees and pier workers were stuck with these changes too, and they were still working! Our cabin steward was doing turndowns non stop till 10:30:eek:

You, jealous of someone else cruising? :rolleyes:Ha! We all want your signature, LOL!:D

As you may have read ...JOTS was delayed due to the Port of Tampa closing due to fog on Feb 18. We were called around 11 AM, unfortunately, had already headed to the pier. We were informed that boarding would not begin till 1:30-2 PM for VIP (Crown and Anchor members), other groups starting with group 1 around 2PM and every half hour there after. Each pax was given an OBC of $20, and told to return during their group time.

We returned after we saw Jewel finally pull into port from the Channelside mall at around 1:45 PM. We were very fortunate because they quickly ran out of seating in the terminal building and many folks we talked to in later groups were outside in the sun standing in line. They had to debark all the pax from the 4 night cruise and began boarding D+ and Pinnacle members after 5 PM. Dinner and staterooms were available as soon as we boarded. Luggage arrived fairly quickly for us. Muster drill was at 9:30 and we sailed away at 10 PM.

Because fog was predicted this AM, the captain docked us back in Tampa at 2:30 in the morning, so we could avoid the morning fog. CD Dennis Charles explained it had not been predicted n the 18th, so they were not able to prevent the delay.

Thats the facts as I experienced them...I'll have a detailed Jewel review with opinions:D when we return home in a few days. We had a fantastic time, but I felt badly for those folks stuck outside for so long, especially for those having their first cruise experience:( But safety first, there was not much they can do about that.

I'm so glad we were at least able bump into each other once or twice, despite the cancelled meet and mingle. Glad you're home safely too.

I'm so glad we were at least able bump into each other once or twice, despite the cancelled meet and mingle. Glad you're home safely too.

Nice to meet you and Dianna too! Sorry we didnt get you in to see our aft balcony; but I took tons of photos of it for my review. After formal night ( you guys looked great!) we didint see you again...must have been traveling in different circles;)

Archived