St.Kitts Info.

Dolfinsfan

After reading the stories about the recent violence there, I am wondering if anyone knows about the safety at and around White House Bay? I was planning on renting a vehicle and driving ourselves there to snorkle along with a few more possible snorkle sites? Not so sure that is a smart move now as I will have elderly and young with me. Is the route to WH Bay from the port safe and easy to follow? What is that area like? Any hints? Thanks!

After reading the stories about the recent violence there, I am wondering if anyone knows about the safety at and around White House Bay? I was planning on renting a vehicle and driving ourselves there to snorkle along with a few more possible snorkle sites? Not so sure that is a smart move now as I will have elderly and young with me. Is the route to WH Bay from the port safe and easy to follow? What is that area like? Any hints? Thanks!

I just got back from St Kitt's. I don't know where White House Bay is but I rented a car and drove around the entire island. We didn't go out on the little spit which is where all the nice beaches are suppose to be and probably where you're going. I will say the vast majority of St Kitts is very low income. But I never felt scared and all the locals we met in town were very nice. Tip for ya, rent from Avis as their terminal is right across from the port. I rented from Hertz and we walked a good 1/2 mile to the agency.

I greatly appreciate the info. I was looking into Avis already as an option. Glad to hear it is right there close to port. Is the island easy to drive around? I dont like to worry about incidents that could be very isolated and wont for myself, but I will have a 12 yo daughter and elderly mother-in-law with me. Thanks again!

There really is only 1 main road around the island, more in town but it's pretty small and easy to find your away around. Only possible issues are you have to drive on the opposite side of the road than in the US and the steering wheel is on the right instead of the left. If you drive out of town the roads are very tight. Enough for 2 vehicles but problem is people park on each side of the road pretty much making it a 1 lane road in many spots. Also, most of the roads have a deep paved drainage area on the side of the road. I put my rental car in one and ended up skidding on the frame until I was able to drive out of it. Thanfully no damage.

Archived