Tips question/advice re: my children

Please advise, my wife and I and our 4 children will be cruising soon. We are trying to budget for our tips and we like to give them as soon as we board. If there are 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 kids that still is considered 6 people correct? Thanks guys/gals

JD

That is the way we have figured it. Our DD went on her 1st at 10 and was given a lot of personal attention by the Dinning Room Staff. Not sure if they were trying to impress her or Mom an Dad ! he he. What ever it was it worked.

The calculator below will help you with your budgeting as well as your envelope preparation.

Note: There is an option on there for counting children at half the normal tip rate, but Royal Caribbean is not one of the lines that recommends this. Their recommendation is the full amount for all passengers.

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Theron

Thanks-cool website. I don't tip the head waiter or maitr'd or what ever he is unless he specifically does something to accomdate me.

Uusually they only seem to come around on the last night.

Thanks,

Yeah there are always debates about that head waiter position.. seems to be hit or miss.. the one I had on RCCL was great, helping out every night, a very visible part of the overall process. And he got us some carrot cake for dessert one night! :D

Theron

I think Celebrity is the only line that differs on children's tips. When the child is under 12 and occupying the same cabin as parents (3rd and/or 4th person)

then they suggest 1/2 the adult tip for each.

I would advise against giving your tips as soon as you board. Tips are still rendered for service provided. Until you ascertain that you are getting the correct level of service you should not tip. I realize how hard the employees work but there have been threads lately where people have reported poor cabin service, etc. You might want to provide a portion of the tip upfront so they know you will take care of them, but I would not tip the entire amount at the start of the cruise. If you get lousy service you cannot ask for your money back.

The Maitr'D is the most misunderstood person in a dining experience. He/She is in charge of the whole thing including training, inspection, and assignment of the staff. They make sure the room is set up properly and how it is run. When your dining experience was a good one and you never saw him/her, it is because he/she did a wonderful job prior to your arrival and you should remember him/her. If you see them running around during the whole meal, you must decide if they are just friendly and want to visit to make sure you are satisfied or if they are trying to make corrections because things aren't going so well. For me, a good dining experience means they did their job and I need to thank them with a tip. A bad dining experience and that tip could be lowered.

I would advise against giving your tips as soon as you board. Tips are still rendered for service provided. Until you ascertain that you are getting the correct level of service you should not tip. I realize how hard the employees work but there have been threads lately where people have reported poor cabin service, etc. You might want to provide a portion of the tip upfront so they know you will take care of them, but I would not tip the entire amount at the start of the cruise. If you get lousy service you cannot ask for your money back.

Very good advice! We tip about double the suggested when service warrants it. We will give the cabin steward (named Stewart ;) ) $50 when we first meet him as a hint of what is to come.

Anne

The Maitr'D is the most misunderstood person in a dining experience. He/She is in charge of the whole thing including training, inspection, and assignment of the staff.

On RCCL is the Maitr'D the Dining Room manager or Head Waiter?

When we cruised DCL, our head waiter performed most of the duties you described above, but was present at our table most nights pouring wine, deshelling lobster, just checking in. We tipped him above the "suggested" amount. (We also had a waiter and assistant waiter) There was also a dining room manager who is tipped "at your discretion". We never saw this person, and didn't tip them.

Anne

We also tipped the Adventure Ocean staff since the kids used it so much. But, that is something you will get various opinions on... regarding whether it is right or wrong to do so, since they are not considered "tipped" staff.

Archived