Is Cost Competition Bargaining Still Possible?

I was a pretty active user on these pages before but have been away for awhile. Searching has just returned blank screens so I hope you guys can bring me up to date...!

I used to be able to book a cruise through the cruise line and then call one or two different travel agencies to see if they can give a better price. Then I would transfer the booking to the cheaper (and better service) agency. And then RCI took away the ability for agencies to offer discounts...??? What is the status of this now?

I booked a cruise while onboard last November for Enchantment in November - a cruise in which no C&A coupons are being offered on - so I could really use some $$$ help!!??

I do have my VISA RCI card, and that will get me some bennies, but still wondering if there is a way for fair competition to take place???

Thanks for all your help and updates.

I don't think the rules on no discounting take effect until May 1. It's not to late to transfer your existing booking now to a T/A that offers "gift" cards.

I have a cruise booked through a wholesale club that offered me a gift card that was quite significant (about 8%) of the base fare (no discount on port charges or taxes).

We are not supposed to name T/A's here - but it will (hint hint) - COST you not to GO.

Lou

Mainstream cruise lines have a lot to gain from trying to reverse the trend towards the commoditizing of their offering, so several have taken steps to protect their offerings from practices that would tend to undercut their value, like the practice of playing one salesperson off of another to try to get a discount deeper than that the supplier's research indicated was appropriate. I suspect that, over time, we'll see less and less opportunity for significant variation in cruise fare (for the same cabin on the same voyage), as the mainstream cruise lines get their act together and start managing their marketing in a more professional manner.

Archived