Kona - Humpback Whale Watching

paylady

I will probably be on a land vacation out of Kona the second week of February next year. My daughter has a conference she's attending at Waikaloa so I am tagging along. We probably won't get to other islands or cruise on POA since my schedule and wallet probably won't allow for it.

I am interested in whale watching for humpbacks, as they are my favorite. I've seen them many times on excursions when cruising Alaska. From what I've read, Maui seems to have the most excursions, but there seem to be some out of Kona as well. I realize there are places where you can stay on land with binoculars for whale sitings on the BI, and may do that, but I also want to see them from a boat.

Has anyone on this board taken a whale watch excursion out of Kona?

We just came back today from the POA and we didn't set out to take a whale watching tour out of Kona - we had actually done one out of Maui but it turned into a dolphin and whale watching excursion. We were on a Land & Sea tour from the ship and we went out to the snorkeling site (forget the name of it now) and back and while we were there we saw a school or pod of dolphins - probably 10-15 in it and then we saw several whales on the way back.

So it is possible to see whales in Kona...actually I think you can see them just about anywhere that time of year - we saw them in Maui & Kauai as well.

Archived