Marigot?

wendyb43

I hear that Marigot has an open market.

Can someone tell me what is so compelling to many about Marigot. I'm trying to figure out our day. I would do bernards tour but am not sure I want to spend time on two beaches and maho sounds like s fun place to be.

Just curious about Marigot and if we should head there in the morning instead of taking the water taxi to shop in the am.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I hear that Marigot has an open market.

Can someone tell me what is so compelling to many about Marigot. I'm trying to figure out our day. I would do bernards tour but am not sure I want to spend time on two beaches and maho sounds like s fun place to be.

Just curious about Marigot and if we should head there in the morning instead of taking the water taxi to shop in the am.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I think that the main reason that we are hearing of more and more cruisers going to Marigot is because they are looking to get a way from Philipsburg due to the sheer number of people arriving by cruise ship. On some days there are over 20,000 people arriving by ship in St. Maarten. The other reason is that since St. Maarten is such a popular cruise destination it is very likely that they have had numerous visits to the island and are looking for a new place on the island to discover.

IMHO Marigot has seen better days. In the early 90's Marigot was the place to go for sure. The Euro has not been kind to St. Martin as many spend their dollars in St. Maarten because It goes further there. Fort St. Louis and the harbor front especially on market days and Marina Royal for dining make it worthy of a visit.

I am visiting St. Kitts for the first time in a couple of weeks on a cruise so my information is based on what I have gathered and not by experience. In St. Kitts I hear that Brimstone Fortress is very worthy of a tour and the Baltick factory as well. Timothy Hill where the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic meet along with other places are great for photos. The beaches (including Orient and Maho) and shopping and choices of restaurants along with snorkeling (creole rock) are better in St. Martin/St. Maarten.

I think that the main reason that we are hearing of more and more cruisers going to Marigot is because they are looking to get a way from Philipsburg due to the sheer number of people arriving by cruise ship. On some days there are over 20,000 people arriving by ship in St. Maarten. The other reason is that since St. Maarten is such a popular cruise destination it is very likely that they have had numerous visits to the island and are looking for a new place on the island to discover.

IMHO Marigot has seen better days. In the early 90's Marigot was the place to go for sure. The Euro has not been kind to St. Martin as many spend their dollars in St. Maarten because It goes further there. Fort St. Louis and the harbor front especially on market days and Marina Royal for dining make it worthy of a visit.

I am visiting St. Kitts for the first time in a couple of weeks on a cruise so my information is based on what I have gathered and not by experience. In St. Kitts I hear that Brimstone Fortress is very worthy of a tour and the Baltick factory as well. Timothy Hill where the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic meet along with other places are great for photos. The beaches (including Orient and Maho) and shopping and choices of restaurants along with snorkeling (creole rock) are better in St. Martin/St. Maarten.

Looks like I answered 2 ?'s at once. Oops!!:o

Agreed - from own experience seeing the French side of the island twice now via cruise ships!

After exploring the DUTCH side of St. Marteen, it is usually time for a little FRENCH or European flavour in chic MARIGOT in St. Martin, especially along the colorful Rue de la Republique!

Originally, the area was a marsh surrounded by mangroves where one could get many crabs, even in the streets. The town was baptized Marigot, from the word "maricage" meaning ponds and marshes in Old French.

To summarize: while in charming MARIGOT one can be... "strolling down rue de la Republique and stopping for a chocolate at the French chocolatier, Jeff de Bruges; looking at the beautiful Impressionist paintings at the Roland Richardson gallery across the way; photographing the gorgeous French gardens behind the historic houses and ambling up the hill to see Fort Louis."

Wonderful for cruisers is strolling along the Marina or through the open air spice and vegetable Market and stopping for an espresso and delicious French pastries or desserts at SERAFINA's (Open daily from 9:00am to 7:00pm) or Cafe Sucriere.

Located on Marigot's Front de Mer, across from Marigot Market and steps away from Café Sucrière, SARAFINA's is not just a good breakfast place. It's also nice to sit on their terrace in the afternoon to people watch or catch up informally with a friend over coffee and a delicious piece of cake (or a sandwich). But most of all, it will be hard to find better bread on the island. Besides the obligatory French baguettes they offer a huge variety of robust and flavorful breads including rye, whole wheat, pumpernickel, specialty breads etc.

FYI - Some of the stores have listed in the window the exchange rate $ 1.00 USD = € 1.00 EUR, especially the souvenir ones. However, all of the places accept USD but mostly at different exchange rates (calculated by the cashier).

47a2dc27b3127cce985556d8a94900000058100Abs2rls5csmfA Photos: Calling of color with Roland Richardson at work in Marigot (Thursday 12.29.2011)

While in charming MARIGOT one can be... "looking at the beautiful Impressionist paintings at the Roland Richardson gallery across the way; photographing the gorgeous French gardens behind the historic houses." Roland Richardson: "I have long held the thought that one of the unique places where a focused ray of cosmic energy touches the earth, imbuing it with radiance, is the island of my birth, Saint Martin."

- See VIDEO here:

View photo album (55)

47a2dc27b3127cce98555600a99100000018100Abs2rls5csmfA Photos: Chez Sarafina's for desserts & specialty coffees, Marigot (Thursday 12.29.2011)

Wonderful for cruisers is strolling through the open air spice and vegetable market and stopping for an espresso and delicious French pastries or desserts at SERAFINA's (Open daily from 9:00am to 7:00pm). Located on Marigot's Front de Mer, across from Marigot Market and steps away from Café Sucrière, this is not just a good breakfast place. It's also nice to sit on their terrace in the afternoon to people watch or catch up informally with a friend over coffee and a delicious piece of cake (or a sandwich).

View photo album (50)

47a2dc27b3127cce9855563ca9ad00000058100Abs2rls5csmfA Photos: Strolling along the streets of French Marigot in St Martin (Thursday 12.29.2011)

- Wondered along the Waterfront/ Marina and the main streets

- Enjoyed delicious desserts and a nice cappucino at "Sarafina's" (until the rain stopped)

- Visiting a joyful, colorful Art Gallery, seeing the artist at work (Sir Roland Richardson)

- Returning to the Bus stop to go back to the cruise ship (docked in Philipsburg)

View photo album (145)

Archived