Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:

OP, why on earth would you worry about what your friends say? YOU know you better than anyone knows you. Here's the deal. DH and I make plenty enough money that we could book X, Regent, Crystal, et al. But we don't. We are not stuff shirts and loathe being around people who are. We don't book X, HAL or Princess, or any other higher end line, because we like to have a good time. We don't want the carpets rolled up at 9PM and we don't want to be around a lot of pretentious people who have their nose so far in the air that we can see grey matter.

If you are in the same category as DH and I, you'll have a blast on Carnival. If you are in the latter group, you'd do well to cancel and rebook elsewhere. You'll be miserable. I promise. Because yes, Carnival caters to people from all walks of life.

FWIW, some of our dearest friends are RCI "snobs", which is all kinda funny in many ways. They wouldn't think of booking Carnival. So be it. We still love 'em to death and they us :) They know what our economic situation is and know we love Carnival for what it is. To each his own.

I think Carnival is the affordable alternative to those other more pricey cruise lines. I don't know the difference in quality because I have only ever sailed with Carnival. But I can say this, we had a great holiday with Carnival and that's why we chose to sail it again, and the price was affordable. Sure I can say I'd love to take a Disney cruise with my family, but we cannot afford that cruise. It's all what you make of it, go and have a great time. :D

Well, we arent exactly in the %1 but we dont do too bad in the financial scheme and we didnt experience a Walmart from 11pm-4am scene on our first cruise this past October on the Valor. Of course we were in bed most nights by midnight or so. Maybe the crazies came out after we were all tucked in and dreaming of sugar plums!!

I have been told that the 2-3-4 day cruises are a different (party) crowd than the longer cruises. But that makes sense if you think about it! On our cruise we saw several families, retired couples, etc.

OP, why on earth would you worry about what your friends say? YOU know you better than anyone knows you. Here's the deal. DH and I make plenty enough money that we could book X, Regent, Crystal, et al. But we don't. We are not stuff shirts and loathe being around people who are. We don't book X, HAL or Princess, or any other higher end line, because we like to have a good time. We don't want the carpets rolled up at 9PM and we don't want to be around a lot of pretentious people who have their nose so far in the air that we can see grey matter.

If you are in the same category as DH and I, you'll have a blast on Carnival. If you are in the latter group, you'd do well to cancel and rebook elsewhere. You'll be miserable. I promise. Because yes, Carnival caters to people from all walks of life.

FWIW, some of our dearest friends are RCI "snobs", which is all kinda funny in many ways. They wouldn't think of booking Carnival. So be it. We still ove 'em to death and they us :) They know what our economic situation is and know we love Carnival for what it is. To each his own.

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

I put my money where the value is. Why would I even consider what others around me say about my vacations? I earned the money and can spend it how I see fit and that's it. Each line probably has their ups and downs as do all other things in life.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line...

If you booked a vacation, bought a durable good or spent your hard earned money on anything why would you search for a reason to think it was a bad choice? If your friends elect to attack your choice versus being happy for you then perhaps the bad choice is related to who you socialize with versus what you do for a vacation...

Carnival is one the most successful business models in the world and the most popular cruise line in the industry. The introduction of mass-market cruise lines owe at least some of their interest to the company that started it all with a ship stuck on a sandbar in Florida.

I've been aboard Royal, Princess, NCL, MSC (for a tour) and Carnival. With 77 posts to your name and at least some lurking reading about others experience aboard the funnel guys you must have made an educated choice. When are you sailing by the way? Have you joined the roll call discussions?

Finally, I could care less what someones income level is in the cabin next to me, at the dining table or on the bus headed to the beach. As long as we don't interfere with each others vacation investment who cares?

Ive done several cruises, Ive done Carnival before but 10 years ago. Yes their rates are cheaper and you kind of see it in their entertainment and quailty of food served. Also when you look around for the most part Carn vs X you can see how people dress is different.

Ive cruised on many lines Im not brand loyal. RCCL, Disney,X, Nor.

I put my money where the value is. Why would I even consider what others around me say about my vacations? I earned the money and can spend it how I see fit and that's it. Each line probably has their ups and downs as do all other things in life.

Honestly we really took it with a grain of salt. But thats why this board, in my opinion, is great!

I will have fun regardless, just wanted you guys opinions since most of you have been on more than 1 Carnival cruise.

We've never sailed another line, only Carnival. You will see all kinds of people and that can be very entertaining in and of itself. We love Carnival because it's so laid back. We can dress to the nines for elegant night or just go wearing capris and khakis. What other people wear doesn't affect me in the least.

We're comfortable, relaxed, de-stressed and having a helluva good time whenever we're sailing Carnival. I've read some of your other threads and you have a wicked sense of humor (Hairy chest thread had my stomach cramping I laughed so hard). I think you will be very satisfied with your choice of Carnival and if you feel you want to try other lines then go for it! Variety and different experiences are what make life interesting.

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

Honey, hush, lol! I've seen everyone from interracial couples to a cross dresser that made me sick with jealousy over his wardrobe! Go and have a blast!! And I think your worries will go unnoticed. If you are taking a 7 day cruise, you'll not notice as much drinking and misadventures as you would on a 3 or 4 day. I've seen some on a 7 day, but it was easily avoided by simply walking away ;)

I am not a big fan of cruising. I prefer the land AI vacations. But this year DW and DD had veto power and over rode my choices. But we have a back to back booked and have cruised once before and it was a Carnival cruise. We found it mostly middle class to upper middle class folks on the ship. In contrast we have done AI's from the low end to the high end but found we enjoy the middle of road AI's the best. Just like Carnival, not cheap, not expensive.

Ive done several cruises, Ive done Carnival before but 10 years ago. Yes their rates are cheaper and you kind of see it in their entertainment and quailty of food served. Also when you look around for the most part Carn vs X you can see how people dress is different.

Ive cruised on many lines Im not brand loyal. RCCL, Disney,X, Nor.

Dress?? Well from being a Texan aswell, when I go somewhere nice I still wear blue jeans with a nice Bahama shirt.

What do you mean by Dress is different? Whats acceptable and such???

Well, it IS the most affordable, and you WILL see a small Wal-Mart type element that live local and go on a cruise as one big fat all you can eat buffet, but you will also see families that enjoy the "fun" atmosphere without having to see the mouse everywhere (and this is coming from a girl that worked for the mouse and met her husband in Disneyland) and you will also see very average, fun, people of all ages that go for "value" out of intelligence not necessity. Tell your wife not to worry, she will have a great time and it won't feel like she's at a swap meet or monster truck show, I promise ;)

Dress?? Well from being a Texan aswell, when I go somewhere nice I still wear blue jeans with a nice Bahama shirt.

Well what I mean is the differance small things, you dont see the designer clothes, more kids which is expected and I dont have a problem with, there is a broader range of people on these ship, sets of teeth missing (I kid you not), table manners, more of a party crowd. Just to name a few.

Also people tend to throw other peoples stuff overboard if you chair hog is what I came to find out yesterday on a chair hog post on here. Just and example Ive never seen it. Who in their right mind does that?

I really don't think Low Income people have money to spend on a cruise. Iwould say it's more middle class, not the rich snooty types !!! Just my opinion.

I agree, most "low income people" simply can not afford to go on vacation at all. A vacation to them is a day to Great Adventure, and even that is pushing it!

While I am now considered mid to upper middle class, I grew up very poor in a one parent house. Needless to say, my first real vacation was with my "boyfriend" my now husband. :)

You don't have to be low income/budget to be "low class". You will find this on any cruise line. Carnival is a great VALUE for what you spend vs. other lines. Sure, Celebrity and HAL are nice, but so is Carnival

Very well said. It also works the other way around. I know a lot of low income people who are in no way "low class"!

Anything's acceptable as long as your berries and banana are covered! :D And of course please wear a shirt when dining, wouldn't want those stray chest hairs floating around the food...

Seriously, we pack shorts, t-shirts, some polo shirts for DH in the dining room, khakis and or jeans, I wear sundresses and swimsuit cover-ups on deck. For elegant night DH has a white jacket he loves to wear with dark pants and a button down shirt or really nice solid t-shirt. I wear a long sundress with shawl or black pants with a sparkly top.

You don't have to be low income/budget to be "low class". You will find this on any cruise line. Carnival is a great VALUE for what you spend vs. other lines. Sure, Celebrity and HAL are nice, but so is Carnival:)

Well, I'm just a good ol country raised slice of beef.

IS wearing boots (slick bottom Justin Boots) dangerous, as in slip and falls?

That's absolutely correct! Why I don't even have a pot to p**s in. Carnival is the only line for us "less fortunate" world travelers. Why it was just last year that our rental in Costa Rica did not have a gardener on staff. Can you believe it?

I would highly recommend Cunard or Seabourn for the better off folks out there. I have heard that afternoon tea on the QE2 is not to be missed though there have been complaints about the biscuits and the very poor quality of gloves that the attendants are wearing.

Well what I mean is the differance small things, you dont see the designer clothes, more kids which is expected and I dont have a problem with, there is a broader range of people on these ship, sets of teeth missing (I kid you not), table manners, more of a party crowd. Just to name a few.

Also people tend to throw other peoples stuff overboard if you chair hog is what I came to find out yesterday on a chair hog post on here. Just and example Ive never seen it. Who in their right mind does that?

LOL! Teeth missing?? I do have 1 missing tooth (porcelin replacement) from a bicycle wreck when I was 16 (brother thought it was funny to loosen my front wheel and tell me to jump a ramp), so I guess I fall in that category.

Yeah I was reading some posts in that thread about chair hogs. I will take your advice and get up early to get some good seats and try not to stay away from our seats longer than 45 minutes to be courtesy to others.

Archived