Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

First off there is NO WAY I would ever allow my parents to be on food stamps. They brought me into this world, raised me, put me thru college and have always been there. I would mortgage and pawn everything I had to make sure they NEVER got put into that situtation. But thats maybe because I was raised in the south and thats the way we do it.

Never say never.

I was also raised in the South (well, technically, the Southwest), but obviously have very different viewpoints from yourself.

Very well said, Tricia!!! :)

I agree but I think its sad that someone's character and behavior is being prejudged based on their income. I don't think someone is of superior or inferior character no matter how much money they make. These days we have occupy this, or occupy that, and folks saying they are the 99% or they are the 1%. Martin Luther King said he dreamed of a time when people would be judged by their character rather than the color of their skin. I would add to his statements a desire to see people judged by their character and not by the color of the skin, their place of worship OR the contents of their wallet.

I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:

I think you will be fine. I did a 7 day on the Liberty and had NO problems. I too was a little worried it might be white trash and ghetto hood rats. It wasnt. Not even close.

Now a 3 day to the Bahamas? I have seen folks who board those cruises. I wont sail it. Some were normal but the majority I didnt care for.

As far as the friends who are giving you "advice". Have they sailed Carnival before? Celebrity? Crusied at all?

Go, have fun! Don't worry about what your marriage is or is not, heck I've seen every kind of couple you can imagine onboard Carnival AND RCCL And other cruise lines. Be yourself ( or someone else if you want to - seems a lot of people are completely different on a cruise than at home), enjoy what you enjoy, have a great time. The ship is YOUR oyster, go look for the pearl!

Since cruising Carnival since 1996, i have noticed a decline in customer service AND the people that cruise. My wife and i were just talking bout this, this morning. we have seen changes and they are not for the better. Sure we have changed.

For your first cruise and for you not to be able to compare.....it will be fine.....can't really go by too much opinions of others.

Have fun and do what you want.

"a decline in customer service AND the people that cruise" What does this mean really? Are there more criminals? they are not as smart as you are? they are dirtier? or just not as "classy"as you think you are?

Comments like this just come off as so snobbish and arrogant. Just dont get how some with a little money (or think they have money) act as if they are so much better than others.

it was not even a blip on the story. they were spanish. you must think that was a bad word or something.

No, I think it was a stereotype and like the person above said, if they were white, it wouldn't have been mentioned.

I get the poster didn't mean for it to sound that way, but it did, whether you see it or not. There is a reason news organizations don't say "This African American/Hispanic/etc person robbed a store/murdered someone/etc" anymore.

It's because it's offensive to those people. You not understanding, or agreeing doesn't make it less offensive.

Martin Luther King said he dreamed of a time when people would be judged by their character rather than the color of their skin. I would add to his statements a desire to see people judged by their character and not by the color of the skin, their place of worship OR the contents of their wallet.

I agree with you completely and find it sad that so many people feel the need to be judgemental about so many things. I would add sexual orientation & weight to your list, just to name a few.

Well, I'm just a good ol country raised slice of beef.

IS wearing boots (slick bottom Justin Boots) dangerous, as in slip and falls?

Hubby has worn both his Justin kangaroo and 125th Anniverysary edition (which have a slicker bottom) without any problem, but he only wears them at night. (wears tennis shoes during the day)

Most women have the most shoes in a household...not us. He has far more boots then I have shoes. lol

We cruise very often on Carnival and last I looked we were not a low income family.

Go cruise and form your own opinion.

We think we get very good value for what we spend.

Very good advice!

I also can pretty much afford any cruise line I desire. I've cruised with CCL, HAL, NCL, Princess and Celebrity. Each has their own high points. If you're looking for more ambiance, then Celebrity would be a good pick. However, since this is a new adventure for you, I think CCL is a great pick because, CCL is just plain fun. In my experience on other cruise lines when I've heard negative comments about CCL, I challenge them, and usually find they've never been on a CCL cruise, just repeating what they heard. :( Go and have fun! :)

First off there is NO WAY I would ever allow my parents to be on food stamps. They brought me into this world, raised me, put me thru college and have always been there. I would mortgage and pawn everything I had to make sure they NEVER got put into that situtation. But thats maybe because I was raised in the south and thats the way we do it.

I was also raised in the south. Again, you've assumed too much. My mother is on food stamps because she has brain tumors and can't work and can barely afford the $2000 a month health insurance she can't be without. She is an adult, and she is not too proud to accept help. I help her out plenty. She worked her ass of for 50 years and paid taxes and she is entitled to use government aid now that she needs it.

There is a reason news organizations don't say "This African American/Hispanic/etc person robbed a store/murdered someone/etc" anymore.

It's because it's offensive to those people.

what channels are you watching? they use descriptives all the time, especially if they are trying to apprehend someone.

it's offensive to "those people"? what people?

I really don't think Low Income people have money to spend on a cruise. Iwould say it's more middle class, not the rich snooty types !!! Just my opinion.

Oh yes they do, because they get everything for free or at a discount so the money they do make they can spend on vacation while we have to spend ours on things like food and mortgages and insurance...but don't get me started because that is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THREAD!

I do agree with you that we do see mostly middle class people on CCL. We have sailed RCL and Celebrity and I didn't see anything different on RCL as far as class of people...and Celebrity, while the food and ships are amazing, we were bored to death at 10:00...

I would look at it like this...if you want a relaxing, fun cruise, you made the right choice. If you want older and refined, I would go with Celebrity.

No, I think it was a stereotype and like the person above said, if they were white, it wouldn't have been mentioned.

I get the poster didn't mean for it to sound that way, but it did, whether you see it or not. There is a reason news organizations don't say "This African American/Hispanic/etc person robbed a store/murdered someone/etc" anymore.

It's because it's offensive to those people. You not understanding, or agreeing doesn't make it less offensive.

Unfortunately, the news organizations have taken it a step too far. They won't mention race or ethnicity when issuing an Amber Alert either. Sometimes those identifiers are important.

this started when they starting targeting their advertising toward the appalacian american.

downgraded the dress code, lowered the fares, and jacked up the liquor prices.

and they came.

just look at the bath robes in the mdr now.

So the hillbillies are the problem, eh?

what channels are you watching? they use descriptives all the time, especially if they are trying to apprehend someone.

it's offensive to "those people"? what people?

As a description when trying to apprehend someone YES because you need the description.

In this instance, you did not. In an instance where the suspect is already in custody, you won't hear it.

You're not getting it, and I doubt you ever will. Enjoy your white privileged bubble. You seem mighty comfortable in there.

Oh yes they do, because they get everything for free or at a discount so the money they do make they can spend on vacation while we have to spend ours on things like food and mortgages and insurance...but don't get me started because that is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THREAD!

I can't remember the last time I was so thoroughly disgusted before 10:00 AM.

I agree to a point. BUT when someone is "wanted", it doesn't just say "WANTED : A Person that commited a Crime".

While that may be true, I have cruised enough on all those lines to know it typically is worse on Carnival.

Other than the very first cruise I took with Carnival, that has not been my experience. I have met wonderful people, and some obnoxious ones, on all of my cruises and there were not a preponderance of the later on Carnival.

Unfortunately, the news organizations have taken it a step too far. They won't mention race or ethnicity when issuing an Amber Alert either. Sometimes those identifiers are important.

Oh no, I agree. When someone is being sought, they should use it! Its not sterotyping, but its a needed descriptor. But in those situations where someone is being looked for, its 100% needed!

Not true in Colorado- they do use as many identifiers as possible. There was one just 2 nights ago here- a 6 month old Hispanic girl. So they use gender too.

I agree to a point. BUT when someone is "wanted", it doesn't just say "WANTED : A Person that commited a Crime".

Right, because in those instances, the color of their skin IS important because its a description.

In this instance, it wasn't important.

Archived