Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

"I seriously doubt people who make $20k, married with 2 kids are cruising ANY line unless they are getting help with living expenses from other people."

Sure, people are thrifty and can afford a Carnival cruise. Thanks to Carnival. We are married with one child and make less than 35. We have two houses/1 paid off and try to cruise every 12-14 months. Just gotta choose priorities, we opt for no TV, no cell phones, no gifts for each other for holidays ( we give each other the cruise) and dining out no more than once or twice a month etc. Extra money is put aside for vacation.

Now, I would love to try X or HAL or Disney etc.. but financially, it aint gonna happen, which is a shame cause I am one of those who call it quits at 9PM, so go ahead and roll up the carpet (LOL).

I applaud Carnival making cruises affordable. As mentioned, even on the expensive lines, you'll still find folks w/o class and manners. Financial status means little.

One can pay less than 400.00 for a week long Caribbean, tack on 100.00 for gratuity, drive to port if possible and wander ports instead of excursion costs ( which we did on 2 of our 3 cruises), and refrain from using the S&S card often ( our combined S&S bill last month was $26.00)...it can be done and enjoyed.

We cruise very often on Carnival and last I looked we were not a low income family.

Go cruise and form your own opinion.

We think we get very good value for what we spend.

We just completed our 11th cruise but first on Carnival and we LOVED it! Would not hesitate to go on Carnival again. And we are not low income. It was the best bang for your buck at least on the cruise we were on.

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

Some of dearest friends, I met through this site and cruised with on the Dream. They are an interracial couple. You will have a wonderful time. I honestly didn't even think twice about my friends being interracial and I don't think anyone else from our roll call did either.

I hope that you will keep an open mind and go on this trip. I have cruised other higher priced lines and I can say without a doubt, it was not worth the extra money. The deck isn't always shinier on the other side.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

It only stands to reason that Carnival's pricing model will attract a certain demographic. And yes, at times the Lido Deck will resemble a photo shoot for "People of Walmart." I've seen more culture in my cup of yogurt from the buffet.

But the bottom line is, I can cruise Carnival 3x for what it costs for one cruise on some other lines, so why switch?

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:

We have sailed on Carnival and Celebrity. The main differences?

Celebrity has very high end shops, you will see a lot of tuxes and gowns, and they had a naturalist on board who would point out the various sea creatures and such. Everything else is about the same. Oh, and they charge much more. We went with them only because Carnival didn't go through the Panama Canal.

Carnival's so called bad rep. is undeserved. CCL caters more to families and people who just want to go and have fun-which you definitely will. I have been a little unhappy about some of the cutbacks (like the midnight buffet and the live band when you board), but that seems to be the trend everywhere.

Go and form you own opinion. If you want you can always try another line the next time, and there will be a next time!

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that RCCL is so much more than expensive than Carnival. I have 3 people booked in balcony 6-3-12 sailing, cost is 3919.00. I can book RCCL balcony/3, same date, FOS, for 4134.00. Hardly seems like enough money to make RCCL a superior class ship or people:eek:. We have cruises RCCL many times and I really didn't find much difference at all other than more subtle:confused: interiors.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that RCCL is so much more than expensive than Carnival. I have 3 people booked in balcony 6-3-12 sailing, cost is 3919.00. I can book RCCL balcony/3, same date, FOS, for 4134.00. Hardly seems like enough money to make RCCL a superior class ship or people:eek:. We have cruises RCCL many times and I really didn't find much difference at all other than more subtle:confused: interiors.

In general it isn't, but they they do sail out of less ports so traveling to them can add on to the cost, not to mention the suites they have are way more expensive then Carnivals. I have seen RCCL less than CCL on a few occasions, just none of the sailings that I have been on...I do think the pricing has a gotten a bit better with both the Oasis and Allure out, that is a lot of cabins to fill on 2 ships every week...

And I don't see the difference either...only mentality

I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:

I cruised once on Carnival, many years ago, but they do still tout themselves as "THE FUN SHIP". There will be beer drinking contests and hairy chest contests by the pool. Lots of families with lots of kids. I would call it a BUDGET cruiseline. And I moved on up the scale to HAL, Celebrity, RCCI and NCL.

That said, for the $5000 you paid for a 7 night Carnival cruise, you could have gone on Celebrity for 12 nights. Celebrity usually has less children. For our New England/Canada cruise, we were told there were only 3 children on the cruise. And not a hairy chest in sight. They did have a disco where there was a "white ball" one night where everyone dressed in white and lots of folks were also wearing masks, dancing until about 1:00 am, so they certainly didn't roll up the sidewalks early. But their new smoking (or should I say non-smoking) policy has made me look elsewhere.

Carnival seems to be doing something right, to have grown from 1 ship to being the largest cruise company in the World. They have enough different cruise models to please everyone. My goodness, they own Princess, HAL, P&O, Cunard, Carnival, Costa (I think about 11 companies, but can't remember the rest).

Since you've never cruised, you will have nothing to compare it to. Go on your cruise, have a great time, then next time, maybe try a different line so you can compare and make your own choice.

I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

You booked a suite? for your first cruise? "just under five thousand dollars?" Yow!

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Don't believe everything you hear and read. We sailed on the maiden voyage of the Magic and it was a wonderful cruise and the ship is beautiful. We have sailed on more than 30 carnival cruises and one on RCC. Let me tell you we went right back to carnival. We are not poor and have to go in debt to cruise but we have found Carnival to great and hope to continue sailing with her. We have 5 cruises booked between now and sept 2013. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say Carnival is a ''low income'' cruise line, such a thing does not exist.

You might have meant a ''budget'' cruise line- in which case I'd tell you that indeed, Carnival does have great value ! They have great fares in comparison to what you get, and with any cruise ship that carries so many passengers, you will see people from all walks of life- some people with a lot of class, others that seem to have come right out off peopleofwallmart, however I assure you the latter will be strongly in the minority.

My Princess Caribbean cruise had a lot of people who, at best, were not well-travelled or too well-mannered. You can choose who to talk to, and they in no way harmed my experience ! On the other hand, I found a much nicer 'crop' of people on my 3 night NCL sailing, which I booked for $329 !

Don't let what other think alter your cruise experience- do what is best for you !

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

Usually the drunks are out late and usually stick to the clubs/bars. The only time I saw wasted people walking around cussing was the first night. But we were lost and it was a big ship.

As far as the interracial marriage goes. Other peoples opinions shouldn't matter. Im in an Interracial marriage and have never caught any slack over it. And I live in Oklahoma...... reddest state ever.

As far as it being a bargain cruise, maybe it is. But, theres trashy people at all income levels. Just do you and you will have fun!

Archived